Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: SQ Business Redemption on AC

Question: SQ Business Redemption on AC

Old Dec 12, 20, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, Marriott Lifetime
SQ Business Redemption on AC

Hi there. I booked a business class redemption ticket via SQ from Singapore to Toronto (~220,000 pts). Here is my issue:
  1. The eticket they sent clearly says Business Class for the SQ segments (I) and nothing for AC Segments except (I)
  2. While I call and ask they are adamant that the AC segments are also Business Class - but cannot offer me any proof or a document that says so
  3. The standard response SQ gives "You need to call Air Canada".
  4. The standard response AC gives "You need to call Singapore Airlines".
While both are reputable airlines - I simply need confirmation that the AC segments are in business which nobody can give me. This isn't my first rodeo and I don't want to be stuck in Schipol, Changi, Pearson, or Heathrow arguing because they have issued me an Economy Class seat based upon the fact that the class of fare was never specified. I am aware that "I" is generally a Business Class Redemption on Star Alliance, however a quick Google search reveals that Air Canada also uses "D".

So the question, do I need to worry or am I just being finicky and the "I" class on AC is a Business Class Redemption.

Thank you
Old Dec 12, 20, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I-class is business redemption.

JCDZP are (generally) revenue buckets, unless you're redeeming from an AC account.

You're good.

If you pull up the booking on AC.com, what does seat selection look like?
newbusmod likes this.
Old Dec 12, 20, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC 25K, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Air Canada also uses "D".
Definitely not for partner bookings, maybe they do for AP under the brand new system where awards book into the same buckets as cash fares. I'm sure canadiancow already responded with confirmation on that as I typed this.

If your res is ticketed, all segments confirmed, and they're confirmed in I for the AC segments, you are in business class.

Also, you should be able to pull up the PNR on the AC website to triple-confirm this by checking your booking, selecting seats, etc.
canadiancow and newbusmod like this.
Old Dec 12, 20, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by newbusmod View Post
Hi there. I booked a business class redemption ticket via SQ from Singapore to Toronto (~220,000 pts). Here is my issue:
  1. The eticket they sent clearly says Business Class for the SQ segments (I) and nothing for AC Segments except (I)
  2. While I call and ask they are adamant that the AC segments are also Business Class - but cannot offer me any proof or a document that says so
  3. The standard response SQ gives "You need to call Air Canada".
  4. The standard response AC gives "You need to call Singapore Airlines".
While both are reputable airlines - I simply need confirmation that the AC segments are in business which nobody can give me. This isn't my first rodeo and I don't want to be stuck in Schipol, Changi, Pearson, or Heathrow arguing because they have issued me an Economy Class seat based upon the fact that the class of fare was never specified. I am aware that "I" is generally a Business Class Redemption on Star Alliance, however a quick Google search reveals that Air Canada also uses "D".

So the question, do I need to worry or am I just being finicky and the "I" class on AC is a Business Class Redemption.

Thank you
I is Business Class (award), if it's economy, it's X instead. you should be able to plug in your SQ PNR on Air Canada's website, look for my bookings tab on the main page. I've done the reverse, plugging AC PNR on Singapore's website to chose book the cook dish and seats since they both use Amadeus reservation system.

it's always wise to enter your contact info on the operating carrier's website, it there is any schedule change or else, you might receive sms or email notice. you might want to add advance passenger info, sometimes the ticketing carrier might not push all the info to the operating carrier. i always go to each carrier's website to add all the required info.
newbusmod likes this.

Last edited by aznfreak007; Dec 12, 20 at 7:07 pm
Old Dec 12, 20, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, Marriott Lifetime
You're a genius. Thank you so much.

I really wish these airlines would give their staff the simple solutions to these problems. Or even put this stuff in an FAQ on their website.

Thanks I've just tried this and it worked like a charm. I didn't know this was possible!

Yep I've just tried it and it worked, I wasn't aware that I could check the PNR on AC's website and wasn't informed until now.
nexusCFX likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 13, 20 at 11:17 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Dec 13, 20, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by newbusmod View Post
Yep I've just tried it and it worked, I wasn't aware that I could check the PNR on AC's website and wasn't informed until now.
If I recall, the default booking classes for Star Alliance cross award redemption are O (first), I (business) and X (economy).
Within each airline's upgrade/redemption program, they may offer other codes.

Speaking of that, what is the Star Alliance redemption booking class for premium economy?
Old Dec 13, 20, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post
If I recall, the default booking classes for Star Alliance cross award redemption are O (first), I (business) and X (economy).
Within each airline's upgrade/redemption program, they may offer other codes.
Correct.

Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post
Speaking of that, what is the Star Alliance redemption booking class for premium economy?
There isn't a uniform booking class since PE awards aren't part of the *A award / upgrade agreements.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: