Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What to do with 78 eupgrade credits expiring in Feb 2021?

Old Dec 11, 20, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G

I am a S100K member, and have a mid-tier CIBC Aeroplan credit card. I have 78 eupgrade credits expiring in February 2021. What are my options to extend the expiration dates of these credits? a) Has AC announced that all e-ups will be extended; b) If not, should I sign up for a high-end credit card, and would that automatically extend 50 e-ups until 2022?
Old Dec 11, 20, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
This is a problem a bunch of us are running into.

​​​​​I don't know my exact number because some are tied up on bookings I know I will not take before March, but I suspect I have 180, so the rollover barely makes a dent.
Old Dec 11, 20, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal View Post
should I sign up for a high-end credit card, and would that automatically extend 50 e-ups until 2022?
That's what I did because the eup c/f alone is worth the $600 CC fee. At least I hope so, as who knows if I'll be able to use them or not!
I value each eup at around $37.50 (not an exact amount, but I calculated it once based on the difference with a revenue biz ticket)
Old Dec 11, 20, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium
Same here. 133 credits expiring in February and more in May. I knew I was eventually going to get a Black card once I started traveling again so I decided to pick up a TD VIP now to make sure I rollover at least 50 credits.I’m hoping AC will allow additional carryover but not counting on it.
Old Dec 11, 20, 7:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I have only one flight planned but we are 5.. i am not seeing a way to request eUps for 5. It says not available, that would have used a bunch if the flight has space.
I have 82 unused

Edit I have used the search function and found that upgrading 5 is not likely even as SE hehe. And I also noticed there is copay even for SE in certain faree classes

Last edited by theBeachBoy; Dec 11, 20 at 7:27 pm
Old Dec 11, 20, 7:26 pm

Note:the credit card eupgrade rollover does not apply to those "issued on a promotional basis".
Old Dec 12, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal View Post
I am a S100K member, and have a mid-tier CIBC Aeroplan credit card. I have 78 eupgrade credits expiring in February 2021. What are my options to extend the expiration dates of these credits? a) Has AC announced that all e-ups will be extended; b) If not, should I sign up for a high-end credit card, and would that automatically extend 50 e-ups until 2022?
Is there a rumour that they may be extended? 140 expiring in Feb. 2021 for me... Haven't flown a single mile in 2020...

R&F

Last edited by run&fly; Dec 12, 20 at 5:37 am
Old Dec 12, 20, 8:08 am

Programs: AC E50K
Same problem but far from all of your extent here, I had 60 Expiring Feb 2021, have been using them on YYZ-YUL which pains me for such a poor redemption value
I think the likelihood of them being extended is very low, The net cost of card would be $499, then adding the potential 65,000 bonus miles on at $0.01 per mile (my value of AE points), would put that value at $650, so a net net cost. That being said, Im sure many of us here have more points then we can use, so should apply some type of discount to those...lets say 50%, Puts that value at $325, resulting in a net card cost of $175

Last edited by caziz; Dec 12, 20 at 8:16 am
Old Dec 12, 20, 8:42 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by caziz View Post
Same problem but far from all of your extent here, I had 60 Expiring Feb 2021, have been using them on YYZ-YUL which pains me for such a poor redemption value
I think the likelihood of them being extended is very low, The net cost of card would be $499, then adding the potential 65,000 bonus miles on at $0.01 per mile (my value of AE points), would put that value at $650, so a net net cost. That being said, Im sure many of us here have more points then we can use, so should apply some type of discount to those...lets say 50%, Puts that value at $325, resulting in a net card cost of $175
The black card also comes with a buddy pass which in itself is easily worth more than $499.
Old Dec 12, 20, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by run&fly View Post
Is there a rumour that they may be extended? 140 expiring in Feb. 2021 for me... Haven't flown a single mile in 2020...

R&F
There are no rumors or announcements.

I'm going to write in on my own behalf in mid January to ask for an exception, but my circumstances are fairly unique. One of my examples is that 40 of my expiring eUps were from crossing a million miles. That's not something I can repeat, and deferring those to a year where long haul travel is possible seems reasonable.

But I can make a much more convincing argument than "I got the base 20, selected 50 as a privilege, and want to roll them all over".

They may make a public announcement on this in the next month or so, which is why I'm waiting. But if they don't, then you need to figure out why your circumstances are different from everyone else if you're going to ask for an exception.

And they already have a way to roll over 50, so if I were them, I don't think I'd entertain requests from anyone without a card.
Old Dec 12, 20, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
This is a problem a bunch of us are running into.
Aside from the new credit card benefit, this is really not much different from other non-pandemic years for many here (just responding to your comment in general.. not necessarily responding at you).
Old Dec 12, 20, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Aside from the new credit card benefit, this is really not much different from other non-pandemic years for many here (just responding to your comment in general.. not necessarily responding at you).
Again, if you can explain why your situation is different from everyone else's, you might have a chance.

A reasonable argument for everyone (and why I think they might do something for everyone) is that you may have earned some threshold eUps November/December 2019, or January/February/March 2020, and starting over at 20 or 20+50 doesn't leave you in the same situation as if the pandemic hadn't happened.

But again, if your argument is the same as everyone else's, I wouldn't expect any special treatment.

My proposal to AC for something they could give everyone would be:

Let X be the number of eUps you received as part of beginning-of-year status. For an SE, that's 20, optionally plus the 50 select privilege. These are eUps you will be able to get again at the start of 2021 with your status.
Let Y be the number of eUps you can roll over with your credit card (0 or 50).
Let Z be the number of expiring eUps in your account.

Roll over max(Z - (50 - Y) - X, 0)

My "example" (I have a bunch of eUps tied up in bookings, so my Z is higher than this example):
X = 20 (I did not take the select privilege)
Y = 50
Z = 117

So AC would roll over 117 - (50 - 50) - 20 = 97. If I pick the same privileges next year, I'm back at 117.

Another possible example:
X = 70 (20+50 select privilege)
Y = 0 (no black card)
Z = 100

AC would roll over 100 - (50 - 0) - 70 = -20 --> 0. The same select privileges will get you 70, and you can get a credit card for the remaining 30.

This proposal would let the high-end credit card members roll over any eUps they "earned" (as opposed to the base with the status). Maybe tweak the credit card portion to account for non-residents incapable of getting a card.

If they institute something like this, I would not need to ask for an exception.
Old Dec 12, 20, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 20 at 10:59 am
Old Dec 12, 20, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I miss the days of managing my eups on my SYD trip. Would always be a few credits short, doing a MR for eups. Those were the days
Old Dec 12, 20, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 20 at 10:59 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: