Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No. You had the option to book a flexible reward, which had the YYZ-YVR in J, but you decided it wasn't worth the price, so you get exactly what you pay for.
Yah that's what i thought. Thanks! Price was 95k more for a short business route so not really worth it lol.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
To clarify - this is no longer a feature of a Business Standard reward. What you book is what you'll fly, no more gate waitlist on mixed-cabin awards.

The intent of the new program is that the pricing for Business Flexible *should* put all AC-operated segments into J unless that cabin is already full.
bobu likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
If the J cabin is full (when booking) and the purchase is J, can one stand by up to boarding?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bartolo
If the J cabin is full (when booking) and the purchase is J, can one stand by up to boarding?
Are you talking about a revenue booking, or an Aeroplan booking?

If the former allows waitlisting, you can get on the waitlist far before the gate.

For the latter. No. No no no no no. No.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are you talking about a revenue booking, or an Aeroplan booking?

If the former allows waitlisting, you can get on the waitlist far before the gate.

For the latter. No. No no no no no. No.
I think they're asking about a Flex-biz award booking, for which I'm only *mostly* sure the answer is no.

For example, if I book a fully-flexible business award SYD-YVR-YYZ-YHZ, but YYZ-YHZ was J0 when I booked, and then it gets upgauged and becomes J5, I don't *think* you'd be waitlisted, but that may be by oversight rather than by design.

It's such an edge case that I doubt it's come up very often.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I think they're asking about a Flex-biz award booking, for which I'm only *mostly* sure the answer is no.

For example, if I book a fully-flexible business award SYD-YVR-YYZ-YHZ, but YYZ-YHZ was J0 when I booked, and then it gets upgauged and becomes J5, I don't *think* you'd be waitlisted, but that may be by oversight rather than by design.

It's such an edge case that I doubt it's come up very often.

Thanks to you both re my question. I was trying to understand nuances of the flexible-biz award vs revenue tx. I am digging deeper since coming to understand that the rules between them can differ. For example the rule re connection time.

I understand and don’t like no longer being able to wait list for mixed cabin awards. I rarely chose them in the old days because I wanted more assurance. But, sometimes there wasn’t as much choice as one might like.

Starting to book tx while learning the ins and outs of the new program. With little flying during Covid the learning curve is steep.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Thanks to you both re my question. I was trying to understand nuances of the flexible-biz award vs revenue tx. I am digging deeper since coming to understand that the rules between them can differ. For example the rule re connection time.

I understand and don’t like no longer being able to wait list for mixed cabin awards. I rarely chose them in the old days because I wanted more assurance. But, sometimes there wasn’t as much choice as one might like.

Starting to book tx while learning the ins and outs of the new program. With little flying during Covid the learning curve is steep.
If you don't want mixed cabin, book business flexible.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:20 pm

Question on Economy first leg of aeroplan issued award ticket

I have aeroplan issued ticket SEA - YVR - LHR. All is in I and for some reason they put SEA - YVR in Y.

I am wondering if aeroplan would be willing to change SEA to PDX without touching the YVR - LHR leg?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Did you call? If so, what did they say?

Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
I have aeroplan issued ticket SEA - YVR - LHR. All is in I and for some reason they put SEA - YVR in Y.
SEA-YVR is in Y because J is not offered on that route. Nor is it offered on PDX-YVR.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

SEA-YVR is in Y because J is not offered on that route. Nor is it offered on PDX-YVR.

so it should be X not Y.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K
What does it matter? Not all segments will book in X or I due to the new program.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

so it should be X not Y.
Under the old program, yes.

In the new program, some AC award space is available to partner programs at a cost fixed by those programs' award charts. The economy seats made available in this way are "X space", because that's the booking code for "seats AC allows to be booked with partner miles".

...but above and beyond that inventory, (theoretically) every AC flight is now available to book with a dynamically-priced amount of Aeroplan miles, in various fare types (Economy Standard, Flex, Latitude, etc) and these won't generally be coded as X. For example, my last domestic short-haul booked on points in Economy Standard was coded as K on the outbound and S on the return, very similar to a revenue ticket.

It's a moot point in this case, though, since the Q400 that'll be flying you to Seattle doesn't have a business cabin. There's nothing to upgrade to.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Under the old program, yes.

In the new program, some AC award space is available to partner programs at a cost fixed by those programs' award charts. The economy seats made available in this way are "X space", because that's the booking code for "seats AC allows to be booked with partner miles".

...but above and beyond that inventory, (theoretically) every AC flight is now available to book with a dynamically-priced amount of Aeroplan miles, in various fare types (Economy Standard, Flex, Latitude, etc) and these won't generally be coded as X. For example, my last domestic short-haul booked on points in Economy Standard was coded as K on the outbound and S on the return, very similar to a revenue ticket.

It's a moot point in this case, though, since the Q400 that'll be flying you to Seattle doesn't have a business cabin. There's nothing to upgrade to.

did you earn miles on those K and S segments?

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

calling aeroplan is like 2hr hold so I wanted to check of anyone tried.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 3, 2021 at 3:47 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

did you earn miles on those K and S segments?
Award tickets don't earn miles, regardless of fare class.

The "K" and "S" in this case simply denote the fact that those seats are pulled from different inventory than that which is made available to all Star Alliance partners.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I booked a Flexible PY award YYZ-YVR-HNL with intent to immediately eUpgrade.
With COW tool, I confirmed both segments had R space.
I knew with that booking the YVR-HNL would be in Economy but with R space available I assumed I could upgrade both segments to J.
However it seems YVR-HNL is booked into a class (shows as X) that doesn't immediately confirm into J as it is waitlisted.
Did I assume incorrectly that because I was booking a Flexible PY award that all segments would be able to immediately eUpgrade even if they weren't PY?
Should I have booked the Latitude award instead? Reason I went Flexible PY was to be guaranteed at least PY on YYZ-YVR in case of a swap.

Last edited by shawneve; Feb 16, 2022 at 1:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.