Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ to LIR Feb 2021 - A330 - couple questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat

Haven't ever posted in the AC forum...but I am looking to book a couple of award tix with UA miles for a vacation mid Feb 2021, and found an MSP to LIR itinerary that looks nice for a good redemption. The YYZ to LIR leg in Business on the A330-300. I have a family of four....what kind of experience will I get in J on Air Canada? Is it worth the couple-hour longer itinerary to route thru YYZ as opposed to a quicker MSP-IAH-LIR on all UA metal (however that is a 738 route). Need some insight.

Also, can you transit thru YYZ at this point if you stay airside? Probably important question to ask.

Thx kindly!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Haven't ever posted in the AC forum...but I am looking to book a couple of award tix with UA miles for a vacation mid Feb 2021, and found an MSP to LIR itinerary that looks nice for a good redemption. The YYZ to LIR leg in Business on the A330-300. I have a family of four....what kind of experience will I get in J on Air Canada? Is it worth the couple-hour longer itinerary to route thru YYZ as opposed to a quicker MSP-IAH-LIR on all UA metal (however that is a 738 route). Need some insight.

Also, can you transit thru YYZ at this point if you stay airside? Probably important question to ask.

Thx kindly!
- Yes, you can transit US to Costa Rica through YYZ, you will stay airside.

- Service will closely resemble North American business class: Summary of North America Executive class meal service

- You should be aware that Air Canada has recently been downgrading YYZ-LIR from an a330 with pods in business, to an A319 with the same recliner-style business seats you'd get on a UA 738. There's also an option to fly YYZ-SJO that is more likely to stay on its scheduled A330.

- If you buy your tickets from Air Canada, rather than ticketed through United, you'll likely have extra headaches getting a DoT-policy refund than you would through United.

- Air Canada has currently cancelled its MSP-YYZ service. It's only scheduled to resume in February, and I would not call that a certainty by any stretch. It's very possible that they'll email you a month before departure and tell you that flight simply won't be operating, at which point you'll have to fight them for a refund instead of a "travel credit".

My personal opinion would be to avoid all of this and book that UA flight.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Up until recently AC had A330s scheduled to PUJ, and it never happened. I wouldnt count on LIR happening on the A330 either.
Since AC doesnt refund, they dont change/cancel their schedules until very close in after they lure people into buying flights they never intend to fly.
This as already mentioned includes MSP-YYZ, which will likely not fly.

You can book both since its free cancel anyway, and be pleasantly surprised when AC operates the flights (they wont) - but have the United route as a backup.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Didn't know about MSP-YYZ. Thx for the insight.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Is AC even providing proper business service at the moment?
I flew YYZ-ZRH in business earlier this year and it was bottled water and a small food box only. Lounges were also closed.
If that is still the situation then absolutely no reason to detour IMHO.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by flylonghaul
Is AC even providing proper business service at the moment?
I flew YYZ-ZRH in business earlier this year and it was bottled water and a small food box only. Lounges were also closed.
If that is still the situation then absolutely no reason to detour IMHO.
Still in-flight covid service in place. yyz yvr yyc dom lounges open with modified service (some would say the lounge food is arguably better in some cases).
Nitehawk, flylonghaul and YOWgary like this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:21 am
dxl

Programs: AC*E75K, National EE
(LIR has been my winter home airport the last few years). I can't imagine AC ever running a mainline 330 YYZ-LIR; this has always been a Rouge route, and it has been Rouged to a 319 for Jan 2021. I expect a 319 all season.
I'd suggest the OP just stick with UA: the hard and soft product up front will be roughly equivalent to ACRouge if not better. Routing might be via IAH, DEN or ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.