FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   [Update 1/7/21: service resumed] AC to suspend all operations in YQY, YYJ, and YSJ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2029913-update-1-7-21-service-resumed-ac-suspend-all-operations-yqy-yyj-ysj.html)

McLovin88 Dec 8, 2020 11:08 am

[Update 1/7/21: service resumed] AC to suspend all operations in YQY, YYJ, and YSJ

Can't post a link because I'm too new but this is awful news!

tracon Dec 8, 2020 11:17 am

Last flight January 10.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...2011%2C%202021.

McLovin88 Dec 8, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks - I managed to book my flight out just after I saw the news. Earlier than what I wanted but limited options....

Antonio8069 Dec 8, 2020 12:17 pm

+ YSJ

They also suspended all service to YSJ.
Why are any FTs surprised? The so-called Atlantic Bubble has consequences + this is one of them.
PD & WS have both suspended all service to Atlantic Canada
A more interesting question is where (if any?) the turboprops will move to?

McLovin88 Dec 8, 2020 12:22 pm

I suppose I'm not surprised but this is a major blow to those of us that need to travel here to help take care of elderly family members. Would it kill AC to run a few flights a week? When I came in the flight from Toronto only had a few empty seats that I saw.

EdmFlyBoi Dec 8, 2020 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by McLovin88 (Post 32871612)
I suppose I'm not surprised but this is a major blow to those of us that need to travel here to help take care of elderly family members. Would it kill AC to run a few flights a week? When I came in the flight from Toronto only had a few empty seats that I saw.

AC playing chicken with the federal government on a bailout. AC will do what it can to reduce its daily cash burn which includes closing stations with very few flights. Unprofitable routes will continue to be cut until the feds recognise that no service to these communities is very problematic.

expert7700 Dec 8, 2020 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by McLovin88 (Post 32871351)
Can't post a link because I'm too new but this is awful news!

Welcome to FT McLovin88 , love the screen name!

Hearing about the occasional traveler or agency booking a ticket to the wrong Sydney was always amusing!

Hope AC will restore this route soon! In the meantime it will give the kangaroos (or Nova Scotia's eqivalent species?) time to recover.

mountainboy Dec 8, 2020 1:27 pm

I almost read it as Sydney Australia and ended up in the wrong country.

GateGuardian Dec 8, 2020 1:39 pm

Does anyone have any details on the flights changed between Fredericton and Toronto? Is it a reduce in service or no flights at all. Have work in Fredericton in January, but don't mind flying into Moncton.

Symmetre Dec 8, 2020 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 32871593)
They also suspended all service to YSJ.

And YYG.

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/busine...oronto-528895/

hoipolloi Dec 8, 2020 5:00 pm

Air Canada playing the bully in order to get favorable terms in the refunds versus bailouts negotiation

YOWgary Dec 8, 2020 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi (Post 32872262)
Air Canada playing the bully in order to get favorable terms in the refunds versus bailouts negotiation

Do you say this based on knowledge that they were running profitable or near-profitable flights on those routes, that they've cancelled as a negotiating tactic?

AC's done some questionable stuff this year, no two ways about that, but I'm curious how you're able to ascribe sinister motive to what appears on its face to be a simple question of "empty planes hemorrhage money, we can't afford to fly these routes right now".

We know the most-profitable trunk routes have massively-reduced demand right now, so what's different about a destination like Sydney, whose peak-season demand is a CR9 and two Dashes?

Jumper Jack Dec 8, 2020 6:27 pm

They are playing a game of chicken with head of the hen.

Lets see how it plays out.

rankourabu Dec 8, 2020 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 32872323)
Do you say this based on knowledge that they were running profitable or near-profitable flights on those routes, that they've cancelled as a negotiating tactic?
AC's done some questionable stuff this year, no two ways about that, but I'm curious how you're able to ascribe sinister motive to what appears on its face to be a simple question of "empty planes hemorrhage money, we can't afford to fly these routes right now".
We know the most-profitable trunk routes have massively-reduced demand right now, so what's different about a destination like Sydney, whose peak-season demand is a CR9 and two Dashes?

You dont think it isnt naive to think that this is anything but a calculated move?

They could have cancelled these flights weeks/months ago, when the planes were just as empty and just as non-profitable. But they waited, and can now use this a chip in bailout negotiations

tcook052 Dec 8, 2020 7:32 pm

A spokesman said Vancouver-Penticton flights also will be suspended.