Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Update 1/7/21: service resumed] AC to suspend all operations in YQY, YYJ, and YSJ

[Update 1/7/21: service resumed] AC to suspend all operations in YQY, YYJ, and YSJ

Old Dec 8, 2020, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Can't post a link because I'm too new but this is awful news!
Old Dec 8, 2020, 11:17 am

Last flight January 10.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...2011%2C%202021.
McLovin88 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I managed to book my flight out just after I saw the news. Earlier than what I wanted but limited options....
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
+ YSJ

They also suspended all service to YSJ.
Why are any FTs surprised? The so-called Atlantic Bubble has consequences + this is one of them.
PD & WS have both suspended all service to Atlantic Canada
A more interesting question is where (if any?) the turboprops will move to?
unclepants and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I suppose I'm not surprised but this is a major blow to those of us that need to travel here to help take care of elderly family members. Would it kill AC to run a few flights a week? When I came in the flight from Toronto only had a few empty seats that I saw.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by McLovin88
I suppose I'm not surprised but this is a major blow to those of us that need to travel here to help take care of elderly family members. Would it kill AC to run a few flights a week? When I came in the flight from Toronto only had a few empty seats that I saw.
AC playing chicken with the federal government on a bailout. AC will do what it can to reduce its daily cash burn which includes closing stations with very few flights. Unprofitable routes will continue to be cut until the feds recognise that no service to these communities is very problematic.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by McLovin88
Can't post a link because I'm too new but this is awful news!
Welcome to FT McLovin88 , love the screen name!

Hearing about the occasional traveler or agency booking a ticket to the wrong Sydney was always amusing!

Hope AC will restore this route soon! In the meantime it will give the kangaroos (or Nova Scotia's eqivalent species?) time to recover.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
I almost read it as Sydney Australia and ended up in the wrong country.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Does anyone have any details on the flights changed between Fredericton and Toronto? Is it a reduce in service or no flights at all. Have work in Fredericton in January, but don't mind flying into Moncton.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
They also suspended all service to YSJ.
And YYG.

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/busine...oronto-528895/
Old Dec 8, 2020, 5:00 pm

Air Canada playing the bully in order to get favorable terms in the refunds versus bailouts negotiation
rankourabu and jlisi984 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Air Canada playing the bully in order to get favorable terms in the refunds versus bailouts negotiation
Do you say this based on knowledge that they were running profitable or near-profitable flights on those routes, that they've cancelled as a negotiating tactic?

AC's done some questionable stuff this year, no two ways about that, but I'm curious how you're able to ascribe sinister motive to what appears on its face to be a simple question of "empty planes hemorrhage money, we can't afford to fly these routes right now".

We know the most-profitable trunk routes have massively-reduced demand right now, so what's different about a destination like Sydney, whose peak-season demand is a CR9 and two Dashes?
CanadaDH and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
They are playing a game of chicken with head of the hen.

Lets see how it plays out.
expert7700 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Do you say this based on knowledge that they were running profitable or near-profitable flights on those routes, that they've cancelled as a negotiating tactic?
AC's done some questionable stuff this year, no two ways about that, but I'm curious how you're able to ascribe sinister motive to what appears on its face to be a simple question of "empty planes hemorrhage money, we can't afford to fly these routes right now".
We know the most-profitable trunk routes have massively-reduced demand right now, so what's different about a destination like Sydney, whose peak-season demand is a CR9 and two Dashes?
You dont think it isnt naive to think that this is anything but a calculated move?

They could have cancelled these flights weeks/months ago, when the planes were just as empty and just as non-profitable. But they waited, and can now use this a chip in bailout negotiations
Clipper801 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A spokesman said Vancouver-Penticton flights also will be suspended.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.