Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Downgrade from J on Aeroplan redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

Sister Lev booked herself and her family (total 4 people) from YYZ-LIR on an Aeroplan J redemption. Somewhere along the line after the time of booking AC switched from mainline back to Rouge (same flight times but different flight number). It appears that nobody at AE/AC bothered to port the reservations over to the new flight number and presumably in the intervening period AC happily sold the remaining J seats on the flight. They just got notification that their flight has been "cancelled due to COVID" (when it was just a switch to rouge). There are now no J seats left on the plane and AE is basically saying happy to rebook you in Y but no compensation other than refund of points difference.

Has this happened to others when AC has switched back from mainline to rouge?

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's really odd because that is a route where rouge markets J, not PY.

Can they adjust the date?
Are there ANY seats? Could you split the PNR, get some people confirmed, and set an EF alert for more seats?
Would you accept an alternate routing (even on another airline)? You could push for something like that.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
YYZ-SJO is still on a 333, so if you don't mind a longer drive once you land, it probably wouldn't be hard to get rebooked on that.

I'm amazed both routes are running at all, let alone originally scheduled for daily widebodies.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
Sister Lev booked herself and her family (total 4 people) from YYZ-LIR on an Aeroplan J redemption. Somewhere along the line after the time of booking AC switched from mainline back to Rouge (same flight times but different flight number). It appears that nobody at AE/AC bothered to port the reservations over to the new flight number and presumably in the intervening period AC happily sold the remaining J seats on the flight. They just got notification that their flight has been "cancelled due to COVID" (when it was just a switch to rouge). There are now no J seats left on the plane and AE is basically saying happy to rebook you in Y but no compensation other than refund of points difference.

Any suggestions?
Exactly the same thing happened to me on the same route. Concierge put notes on the file to put us on the waitlist when the flight opens 24 hours prior. Based on the loads it would be unlikely that this will clear. It is incredibly poor but they should have received an email notification of the flight change. It isn't that they sold the J seats, it is that the cabin went from 27 J to 12 J and likely only protected paid J on flight. With no J available they simply cancelled that portion of the booking without moving the booking over (which is incredibly bad customer service). I did complain, but with no J seats, the only option was to rebook in economy on that portion or move the travel date.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by YOWgary
YYZ-SJO is still on a 333, so if you don't mind a longer drive once you land, it probably wouldn't be hard to get rebooked on that.

I'm amazed both routes are running at all, let alone originally scheduled for daily widebodies.
It is not a short drive, and Costa Rica roads (the majority of this route is two-lane) are not for the faint of heart. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive from SJO to Guanacaste and at times was probably mas loco than the locals but I do come from a place with an even worse driving culture.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YOWgary

Already making the drive one way. It is 4 hours on bad roads. I would rather fly in Rouge Y than make the drive...
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by The Lev

Any suggestions?
I have 3 X Business seats to LIR bought using points...... the outbound has gone Rouge and we were automatically rebooked in Business-Flexible on Rouge.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Exactly the same thing happened to me on the same route. Concierge put notes on the file to put us on the waitlist when the flight opens 24 hours prior. Based on the loads it would be unlikely that this will clear. It is incredibly poor but they should have received an email notification of the flight change. It isn't that they sold the J seats, it is that the cabin went from 27 J to 12 J and likely only protected paid J on flight. With no J available they simply cancelled that portion of the booking without moving the booking over (which is incredibly bad customer service). I did complain, but with no J seats, the only option was to rebook in economy on that portion or move the travel date.
You can't do the waitlist under the new program.

And there are plenty of cases where I've been automatically rebooked from P or R to Y on a CR9 to DH4 downgauge. There's no technical reason this booking shouldn't have behaved the same.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber
I have 3 X Business seats to LIR bought using points...... the outbound has gone Rouge and we were automatically rebooked in Business-Flexible on Rouge.
And that would mean there were seats available in J on the date you are traveling...
Plumber likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Already making the drive one way. It is 4 hours on bad roads. I would rather fly in Rouge Y than make the drive...
Oh, I'm aware. This is why I talked Mrs.YOWgary out of a trip to Tamarindo this winter; whether it's Rouge Y, or those roads, no chance I get there with an intact spinal column.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.