Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Cyber Monday 2020 Promotion (up to 50% off)

Old Nov 30, 20, 1:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold

https://www.aircanada.com/en-ca/cybe...racdotcom|caen

I clicked on the promo within seconds of receiving the e-mail at 1AM Calgary time (I assume it was sent to coincide with midnight Pacific time) and the 50% off code was already used up by the time I was able to get my first flight search done. 30% still available as of now (1:13AM Mountain time).
Old Nov 30, 20, 4:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post

I clicked on the promo within seconds of receiving the e-mail at 1AM Calgary time (I assume it was sent to coincide with midnight Pacific time) and the 50% off code was already used up by the time I was able to get my first flight search done. 30% still available as of now (1:13AM Mountain time).
Wow that 50% went quickly. I'm guessing it was posted on the website before the email went out or some with advanced knowledge scooped them up. The 30% seems to be hanging on for much longer.
Old Nov 30, 20, 6:00 am

Programs: AC 75K, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
I was able to make use of the 30% version for a trip end of February. Was tempted to do a quick trip to HNL using this - some good options from YYZ again but chickened out on the same day turn with current protocols.

CC
Old Nov 30, 20, 6:29 am

Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum

Smart.

They get to claim credit for having had a huge sale, without having to give that pricing to almost anyone.

I'm not being snarky, that's actually smart marketing.
Old Nov 30, 20, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
Smart.

They get to claim credit for having had a huge sale, without having to give that pricing to almost anyone.

I'm not being snarky, that's actually smart marketing.
From competition bureau: https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/...0522.html#bait

Bait and switch selling

Section 74.04 of the Competition Act is a civil provision. It prohibits "bait-and-switch" selling which occurs when a product is advertised at a bargain price, but is not available for sale in reasonable quantities. The provision does not apply if the advertiser can establish that the non-availability of the product was due to circumstances beyond its control, the quantity of the product obtained was reasonable, or the customer was offered a rain check when supplies were exhausted.

If a court determines that a person has engaged in conduct contrary to section 74.04, it may order the person not to engage in such conduct, to publish a corrective notice and/or to pay an administrative monetary penalty of up to $750,000 in the case of a first time occurrence by an individual and $10,000,000 in the case of a first time occurrence by a corporation. For subsequent orders, the penalties increase to a maximum of $1,000,000 in the case of an individual and $15,000,000 in the case of a corporation.
30% off now shows sold out.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 30, 20 at 8:34 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:04 am

Programs: Hilton Gold - Air Canada 25K
yep the codes were on the website as of midnight EST when i checked wasn't really ready to rush book but i did get one trip booked with it. noticed the cheap $313 YYZ-YVR 's i have been seeing lately didn't exist anymore same with a lot of the longer domestic flights
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:33 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
The $64,000 question is what's a "reasonable quantity". I certainly found it pretty ridiculous that the 50% off was gone before I even got the e-mail, but whether a court would agree, I don't know.
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
The $64,000 question is what's a "reasonable quantity". I certainly found it pretty ridiculous that the 50% off was gone before I even got the e-mail, but whether a court would agree, I don't know.
The promotion clearly says that there are only 500 codes for that price. So not sure that it is bate and switch, but very limited supply indeed. Surprised the 30% stayed around so long.

Last edited by yyzgigi; Nov 30, 20 at 9:28 am
Old Nov 30, 20, 9:14 am

Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum
If Best Buy gets to advertise "door crasher" pricing on the first 20 flatscreen TVs every year, one imagines you'd have a hard time getting a judge to rule that it's deceptive for AC to run ads specifying exactly how many discount codes are available.

I am pretty disappointed that AC didn't even bother to limit this to "one per Aeroplan number". It worked out great for the FT user who bragged about booking up four PNRs for refundable fares just on spec, but you'd think AC would have a vested interest in making as many users as possible walk away thinking they got a great deal.
Old Nov 30, 20, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
If Best Buy gets to advertise "door crasher" pricing on the first 20 flatscreen TVs every year, one imagines you'd have a hard time getting a judge to rule that it's deceptive for AC to run ads specifying exactly how many discount codes are available.
The difference here, in my opinion, is that by the time the email arrived, they were already out. Not that I've received an email yet, of course.

Compare this to the "buy Aeroplan miles with a bonus" promotion where it was advertised ahead of time.

I am pretty disappointed that AC didn't even bother to limit this to "one per Aeroplan number". It worked out great for the FT user who bragged about booking up four PNRs for refundable fares just on spec, but you'd think AC would have a vested interest in making as many users as possible walk away thinking they got a great deal.
Agreed, but their promo system doesn't work that way.
Old Nov 30, 20, 11:01 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Purely as a data point, I got the email at 11:41 PM Pacific.
Old Nov 30, 20, 11:16 am

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Data point: We got the email 1:43am EST
​​​​​​
​Sending emails after a limited qty sale runs out of the advertised best prices seems like misleading advertising. (I do realize that they need to throttle the email send rate just as any marketing system needs to do to get their spam past anti-spam filters)

​​Thus would be like AC distributing codes in printed newspapers or in the mail. They get delivered to different neighborhoods and cities at vastly different time zones and times of day, putting most at a zero chance of using the offer. The customers first on the route have the advantage. (NL residends with their EST+30min time zone even more so!) Not to mention the content designers, print shop employees, friends of each, and delivery carriers.
​​​​​​
D582 likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 30, 20 at 11:35 am
Old Nov 30, 20, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Difference: You get to watch the TV from BestBuy and keep the TV, using the AC code - your flight will be cancelled, and they ll keep your money
Old Nov 30, 20, 12:50 pm

I received an email via the Air Canada Flash newsletter about this offer at around 00:15 EST (general consumer email received at 02:27 EST) and locked-in 4 refundable comfort fares using the 50% off code.
Old Nov 30, 20, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC E50K/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium E/Accor-FPC Gold/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hoipolloi View Post
I received an email via the Air Canada Flash newsletter about this offer at around 00:15 EST (general consumer email received at 02:27 EST) and locked-in 4 refundable comfort fares using the 50% off code.
And now everyone know why the 500 bookings disappeared so quickly.

I work up in OAX at 7 am CT and read the email and booking quickly enough to get the 30% and then booked some clients on the YYC-YVR-KOA/OGG-YYC routing up to 12 noon CT and then it was gone shortly thereafter.

The AC offers were at least more exciting than the WS offer. It is Cyber Monday, it should be easy for those early birds (or in this case night owls).
gcashin likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: