Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Hawaii COVID test quarantine details revealed

Old Nov 27, 20, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K *G

canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 27, 20, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Thanks for posting.

I was booked to go to Hawaii back in October and this program was originally slated to start in September but got pushed out.

My original booking was part of the 50%points back and had to have travel competed by Oct 15... Air Canada ended up cancelling all flight so I never made it there.
Old Nov 27, 20, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because this is a fast-changing situation, it is best to check the official Hawaii website. By way of example, up until today, if your test result was not available on arrival, you would be required to quarantine until the test result arrives and then be free of the requirement. As of today, without a negative test result on arrival, one is subject to the full 14 days even if the negative test arrives a few hours later.
+3.`3.

.`

-

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/
Old Nov 27, 20, 3:22 pm

Interesting. I didn't think private testing was available in Ontario. I was thinking of trying to get a test when I came to Toronto from Victoria (staying with immuno-compromised person), but couldn't find information about where I'd be eligible. Now, in theory, I think that I could book a refundable fare, get the test and cancel.

Dr PITUK
Old Nov 27, 20, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
Interesting. I didn't think private testing was available in Ontario.
I traveled recently to Asia and needed a COVID test before departure. I drove to Montreal to be tested at a private clinic so I was sure of getting the test results on time.

There are private clinics in Ontario, but my understanding is that the tests they do go into the regular queue at the provincial lab to wait for results.
Old Nov 27, 20, 3:42 pm

The partnering with Shoppers Drug Mart is new and an interesting development.
RoninTech likes this.
Old Nov 27, 20, 6:24 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
But you still have to quarantine for two weeks on return to Canada? Except for Alberta, where you can work around it, but you then have to stay in Alberta for two weeks.

https://www.alberta.ca/international...t-project.aspx
Old Nov 27, 20, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
But you still have to quarantine for two weeks on return to Canada? Except for Alberta, where you can work around it, but you then have to stay in Alberta for two weeks.

https://www.alberta.ca/international...t-project.aspx
Yep, that's my understanding of the situation at the moment.
Old Nov 28, 20, 12:59 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Keep in mind Kauai has pulled out of the program.
Old Nov 28, 20, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MDTyKe View Post
Keep in mind Kauai has pulled out of the program.
The Big Island may be following Kauai’s lead.

https://bigislandgazette.com/all-pas...W69STeEGPXvNEA

Hawaii County Mayor Harry Kim signed another Emergency Proclamation today.

Pursuant to the 16th Emergency Proclamation, all persons traveling to Hawaiʻi Island are subject to the State of Hawaiʻi’s mandatory 14 day self-quarantine unless an exemption or modification applies. The period of self-quarantine shall begin from the date of entry onto Hawaiʻi Island and shall last 14 days or the duration of the person’s presence on the island, whichever is shorter.

Last edited by Finkface; Nov 28, 20 at 1:39 am
Old Nov 28, 20, 3:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Iím not going until things settle down. Rules are changing by the day with little rhyme or reason!
Old Nov 28, 20, 6:10 am

I don't believe this will work at all with the way they've set it up. (Good $ for Shoppers though!)

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 28, 20 at 9:33 am Reason: Off topic
Old Nov 28, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC E50K/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium E/Accor-FPC Gold/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Discoverist
I have been monitoring the flight loads on the first YYC-OGG flight of the season and right after the announcement the Business Class cabin filled up and the Premium Economy cabin that was empty a few days ago is not half-full.

While things are constantly changing, there are many Western Canadians who will spend months in Hawaii and are keen to avoid an overnight connection in the US to satisfy the testing requirement.
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 20, 1:38 pm
m.y

Programs: AC *E HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PointWeasel View Post
I have been monitoring the flight loads on the first YYC-OGG flight of the season and right after the announcement the Business Class cabin filled up and the Premium Economy cabin that was empty a few days ago is not half-full.

While things are constantly changing, there are many Western Canadians who will spend months in Hawaii and are keen to avoid an overnight connection in the US to satisfy the testing requirement.
Likewise I've been tracking flights to OGG in early January, business class was almost fully booked (only 1 seat open) on Thursday night, AC only selling flex J, then on Wednesday I noticed there were 2 seats, they were selling discount J. I snatched up one of the seat using AP, 70k one way as E50, vs 84k regular pricing. Not too bad consider the old chart one way J was 80k.

And while the back is very very empty, very puzzling.
Old Nov 28, 20, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Regarding the testing, in Alberta private testing has been available for a while through DynaLIFE. It costs $150, so I imagine that's probably the ballpark you are looking at for Hawai'i. Yes, that's a lot of money, but actually it's not outrageous c/w what our neighbours down south pay (the same in USD) or other programmes I have seen for testing worldwide.

I took the paid test yesterday at 11:45 am. Results back today around 8:00 am. The certificate is great, very clear and completely different than how the results normally look in Alberta. I am not sure how results normally look in BC or ON, but I doubt they are a certificate that is easily understood, read, and verifiable (via QR code). In Alberta, I have a feeling tests are done at 11:45 am or 2:45 pm (based on my experience booking appointments), obviously related to collection of samples and turnaround time.

On an aside, YYC-OGG flights were available for very little Aeroplan early on... IIRC 20-25K in J o/w.

Finally, Hawaiian islands seems to be changing their individual rules, so very much like the "Atlantic Travel Bubble" there might be nothing left of the ability to travel to Hawai'i soon.
Nitehawk likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: