YUL or YYZ to DXB

Old Nov 21, 20, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Fairmont
Question YUL or YYZ to DXB

Hello fellow forum members,

I'm in the initial planning stages of a trip to the UAE for leisure purposes around November or December 2021.

My intention is to fly with Air Canada from either YUL via YYZ to DXB, or just straight out of YYZ to DXB.
I would like to book this itinerary in Business Class.

My question for you guys, and I do apologize if this is the wrong place to ask is this:
Is there a "sweet" spot for a biz class sale to a destination like DXB with regard to AC? I know in the past they'd have those $2.5k r/t deals to JNB, etc..
Does AC ever put DXB on sale?

The reason for me asking this question is that using random dates, September 11th or 12th to 26, I can see a TK itinerary from YYZ via IST for $2,600 r/t CAD, yet the AC equivalent is $4,200.
That's a 61% difference in fare.

If that theme prevails, would it be advisable to purchase a PY fare with AC and roll the dice for an LMU?
  • No, I don't have any altitude status currently.
  • No, I don't have any AP miles- burned 'em all already.
Old Nov 21, 20, 11:05 pm
formerly yvrgary

Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by rafi2k6 View Post
Hello fellow forum members,

I'm in the initial planning stages of a trip to the UAE for leisure purposes around November or December 2021.

My intention is to fly with Air Canada from either YUL via YYZ to DXB, or just straight out of YYZ to DXB.
I would like to book this itinerary in Business Class.

My question for you guys, and I do apologize if this is the wrong place to ask is this:
Is there a "sweet" spot for a biz class sale to a destination like DXB with regard to AC? I know in the past they'd have those $2.5k r/t deals to JNB, etc..
Does AC ever put DXB on sale?

The reason for me asking this question is that using random dates, September 11th or 12th to 26, I can see a TK itinerary from YYZ via IST for $2,600 r/t CAD, yet the AC equivalent is $4,200.
That's a 61% difference in fare.

If that theme prevails, would it be advisable to purchase a PY fare with AC and roll the dice for an LMU?
  • No, I don't have any altitude status currently.
  • No, I don't have any AP miles- burned 'em all already.
Not at all surprising that the indirect flight that takes 5 hours longer, would cost less than the non-stop. Also worth knowing that the likely aircraft for YYZ-IST-DXB is Turkish's 777, with 2-3-2 seating truly inferior to AC's pods. At least if you fly YUL-IST-DXB, you'd have a better chance of doing the TATL leg in one of TK's new Dreamliners with considerably nicer 1-2-1 seating.

I think you'd wait an awfully long time to see AC put Dubai on sale for anywhere close to $2600, and Turkish are likely to remain the best price on that route.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
Not at all surprising that the indirect flight that takes 5 hours longer, would cost less than the non-stop. Also worth knowing that the likely aircraft for YYZ-IST-DXB is Turkish's 777, with 2-3-2 seating truly inferior to AC's pods. At least if you fly YUL-IST-DXB, you'd have a better chance of doing the TATL leg in one of TK's new Dreamliners with considerably nicer 1-2-1 seating.

I think you'd wait an awfully long time to see AC put Dubai on sale for anywhere close to $2600, and Turkish are likely to remain the best price on that route.
I do agree that TK'S offering from YYZ is inferior to AC's. Also true that by Nov/ Dec 2021 they'll have the 787 with their new biz class on the YUL run.

I know Air Canada won't price match TK, just hoping to find the AC flight for $3500~

Anyways, what do you think about buying a PY fare and rolling the dice on an LMU?
Old Nov 22, 20, 11:31 am

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Anyways, what do you think about buying a PY fare and rolling the dice on an LMU?
Without status or eupgrades-nearly impossible. AC would upgrade using eup instruments, or in event of an ovesell (ha!) start upgrading top tier status on down.

​​By seeing a replying to an upgrade email for maybe $1299.00 each way close to day of travel? possible
DXB is a very long flight.
Old Nov 22, 20, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
​​By seeing & replying to an upgrade email for maybe $1299.00 each way close to day of travel? possible
DXB is a very long flight.
what do you think about bidding for an upgrade?
the amount required would probably render it not worth it eh?

I'm still a few months away from actually booking something, so who knows what state the world will be in by then.
Old Nov 22, 20, 1:17 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
If you have miles in another *A program, you could:

1) try to find AC flights with I award/upgrade availability
2) purchase an AC Latitude (B) fare for ~$3250CAD a.i.
3) upgrade your flghts at time of booking
Old Nov 22, 20, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
If you have miles in another *A program, you could:

1) try to find AC flights with I award/upgrade availability
2) purchase an AC Latitude (B) fare for ~$3250CAD a.i.
3) upgrade your flghts at time of booking
At that point I'd probably just redeem miles.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 1:22 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
what do you think about bidding for an upgrade?
the amount required would probably render it not worth it eh?

I'm still a few months away from actually booking something, so who knows what state the world will be in by then.
Not sure what covid has done to long route bid for upgrade starting point due to so few people traveling. If it showed less than $750 each way as a starting point they'd upset status members who are trying to use Eupgrades (IIRC, many elite eupgrades also yield a $600 cash copay to AC).

At this point since you don't have affinity to one airline for status, I would honestly wait for the sales on premium cabin travel. My guy feeling is the airlines need us more than we need them.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
At that point I'd probably just redeem miles.
Exactly
140k round trip isn't is?

That's what <$2600, with buying all the miles?

And you can fly Etihad 787 nonstop in style and avoid AC. Win win
jlimftalk likes this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Exactly

This actually might be a good option, looking at the Aeroplan site, I can purchase miles with a 50% bonus.

Thanks for the suggestions guys
Old Nov 22, 20, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
This actually might be a good option, looking at the Aeroplan site, I can purchase miles with a 50% bonus.

Thanks for the suggestions guys
You can get them with a 65% bonus by booking a non-refundable ticket and canceling it. And that will code as travel on your credit card.
jlimftalk, rafi2k6 and okazon69 like this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

You can get them with a 65% bonus by booking a non-refundable ticket and canceling it. And that will code as travel on your credit card.
Cow's wisdom always comes in handy! Thanks man!

Thanks everyone for your input, really appreciate it!
Old Nov 23, 20, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Exactly

My thoughts exactly
Old Nov 23, 20, 1:35 am

Know when this lil trick will end? What’s the process exactly cause I’m thinking of topping of my AP points for a trip in 2021. Still have about 70k and about 100k MR but don’t want to do a transfer just yet.
Old Nov 23, 20, 2:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
I do agree that TK'S offering from YYZ is inferior to AC's. Also true that by Nov/ Dec 2021 they'll have the 787 with their new biz class on the YUL run.

I know Air Canada won't price match TK, just hoping to find the AC flight for $3500~

TK has 787 into YYZ also.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: