Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Questions on 2020 Black Friday Sale

Old Nov 19, 20, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Just wondering what folks thing...

2 cents per mile. Makes Business Class to BNE cost $3,730 by buying 160k points...versus $6,460 b y paying cash.

Am I missing something here?
Old Nov 19, 20, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOWRON View Post
Just wondering what folks thing...

2 cents per mile. Makes Business Class to BNE cost $3,730 by buying 160k points...versus $6,460 b y paying cash.

Am I missing something here?
Nope you are not missing something. If you are able to get the ticket you want at the points amount that you suggest, it is a pretty good deal. However, If status is important, using points for travel doesn't earn you SQM or SQD. I tend to use my miles on family and friends so purchasing miles is often a reasonable deal with the bonus.
Old Nov 19, 20, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
There's currently a way to buy miles for 1.875 cents if my math is right, so no, it's not a good deal.
Old Nov 19, 20, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
There's currently a way to buy miles for 1.875 cents if my math is right, so no, it's not a good deal.
And that way is?
Old Nov 19, 20, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
And that way is?
Buy a refundable* ticket (Comfort, Latitude, Premium Economy Flexible, Business Flexible), and wait 25 hours. Then click cancel, and choose the option to convert to Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Seems better than a 50% bonus.

*This is not necessary, but it gives you peace of mind in case I'm deceiving you, as you'll still be able to get a full refund to original form of payment in a day or two.
Old Nov 19, 20, 8:38 pm

BF offers this year are meh. Was expecting 115% bonus when purchasing Aeroplan points or a real 25% off savings on airfare. Oh well.
Old Nov 19, 20, 9:14 pm

Want to get the bonus offers where 2 offers = 500 bonus points, 3 offers = 1000 bonus points, 4 offers = 5000 bonus points

I have a AC gift card that I plan to use to purchase a ticket. I called aeroplan and spoke to about three different people and none of them had a clue whether buying a ticket with AC gift card is considered a eligible booking.

These are the terms and conditions:

*This Offer is valid on new bookings made as of November 19th, 2020 at 00:01 EST until the earliest occurrence of the following:
  1. depletion of the availability of the inventory of 1 million seats; or
  2. until November 29, 2020 at 11:59 pm from your city of departure in Canada (“Offer Period”).
This Offer is valid for any flight operated by Air Canada® (including flights operated under the Air Canada Express® banner and operated by Air Canada Rouge®) to all destinations where Air Canada flies to, for travel between November 19, 2020 and June 30, 2021. The Offer applies on the following codeshare flights only: Lufthansa Group, Swiss, Brussels Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Eurowings, and Air China.

The Offer provides for a discount of up to 20% and applies on undiscounted Air Canada-published base fare only, which form part of the applicable air transportation charges, when booking on aircanada.com. Surcharges, which are also included in the air transportation charges, as well as applicable taxes, fees and charges are not discounted and will apply and must be paid in full by all travellers, including children and infants occupying a seat.
Old Nov 19, 20, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
BF offers this year are meh. Was expecting 115% bonus when purchasing Aeroplan points or a real 25% off savings on airfare. Oh well.
Is there a discount code to enter to get 20% off on AC tickets for the BF sale?
Or are we just expected to assume that the prices as posted are already “20% off”?
Old Nov 19, 20, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
Is there a discount code to enter to get 20% off on AC tickets for the BF sale?
Or are we just expected to assume that the prices as posted are already “20% off”?
No discount code so answer would match your second point, assume base fares have been discounted already by up-to 20% off.
Old Nov 19, 20, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Buy a refundable* ticket (Comfort, Latitude, Premium Economy Flexible, Business Flexible), and wait 25 hours. Then click cancel, and choose the option to convert to Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Seems better than a 50% bonus.

*This is not necessary, but it gives you peace of mind in case I'm deceiving you, as you'll still be able to get a full refund to original form of payment in a day or two.
Im sure glad I decide to check FT out before doing anything. Is $2,702 one way in J YYC-NRT-MNL a good fare? It’s with AC-ANA. I usually just buy miles to top up my account and redeem but thinking about getting status this time around.
Old Nov 20, 20, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
No discount code so answer would match your second point, assume base fares have been discounted already by up-to 20% off.
So do any routes have a discount of greater than 0%?
Old Nov 20, 20, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
So do any routes have a discount of greater than 0%?
Impossible for an average consumer to know what savings (s)he is getting without knowing AC's regular base fare on a given route, date and flight.

They do have a page that shows sample sale fares to various destinations but again we don't know the level of discount applied. Only know it's a sale fare.

Just need to trust AC they are offering some level of savings even if it's 0.5%, 1%, 2% or 20% off.

https://www.aircanada.com/en-ca/seat-sale

Asterisks (*) disclaimer on webpage states

"Sale fares and travel dates are based on seasonality and may vary per market. Fares displayed have been collected within the last 48hrs and may no longer be available at time of booking"

Another disclaimer:
This Offer is valid on new bookings made as of November 19th, 2020 at 00:01 EST until the earliest occurrence of the following: i) depletion of the availability of the inventory of 1 million seats; or ii) until November 29, 2020 at 11:59 pm from your city of departure in Canada
Old Nov 20, 20, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
Black Friday Seat Sale

Does anyone know how this Black Friday Seat Sale works?

I searched a few trips during the eligible period and didn't notice fares lower than what is typical or what I've been watching over the past few weeks.

E.g., YOW-BER roundtrip Flex in Jan will cost C$2,200+

Since there is no promo code, how do I know if I'm even benefiting from a 'deal'?

(And this was after several timed out searches the first few attempts...)
jlimftalk likes this.
Old Nov 28, 20, 7:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Three questions

1. . I upgraded from TD VISA Infinite to TD VISA infinite privilege earlier this week. I was told I would get the buddy pass. With appropriate charges, I would get 30,000 Aeroplan points (not 50,000 Aeroplan points as I did not completely have a completely new card). Would this count as one of the 4 purchases required to get 5000 Bonus Aeroplan points.

2. If the answer is no to above question, I am willing to apply to get a CIBC no fee Aeroplan card. Issue - CIBC computers are not set up to apply through CIBC VISA toll free number or at CIBC banks. I was told I could apply online. If I apply tomorrow, would it count as i of the 4 items - at least in terms of tomorrow's midnight deadline - over 24 hrs from now. Is the application count as 1 of the 4 items for the 5000 points- or did I need the approval by tomorrow now to count as 1 of the 4 prerequisites.

3. I brought 2 Apple TV. I went to the Apple link on the Aeroplan e-retailers web site - but then I was directed to the Apple web site for the actual purchase. At no time I was asked an Aeroplan number. Will this count as 1 of the 4 purchases?
Old Nov 28, 20, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post

3. I brought 2 Apple TV. I went to the Apple link on the Aeroplan e-retailers web site - but then I was directed to the Apple web site for the actual purchase. At no time I was asked an Aeroplan number. Will this count as 1 of the 4 purchases?
I believe in order to access the aeroplan estore, you need to login first. Therefore, since you logged in, you should be fine and it should count towards the offer. Note: you can only have a maximum fo 3 transactions throughout the estore to count for the bonus miles. So if you made 4 purchases, you need to do another offer like simply buying a $25 AC gift card would work.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: