Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC rules out 'colossal failure' of government stake for aid; bailout debate thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC rules out 'colossal failure' of government stake for aid; bailout debate thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:44 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by expert7700
I didn't think corporations could be this evil--or bold--until I read this article.
​​​​​
I'm always surprised when people are surprised at how low Air Canada can go. Many of us have known for years. And we've not been quiet about it.
rankourabu and expert7700 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
"I would suggest there is little doubt that AC will be able to return to profitability when travel returns to pre-COVID levels."
The conclusion requires travel recovery. It is becoming more likely that business travel will not return to pre-Covid levels for a period much longer than first anticipated. It was the business travel segment which delivered the key contribution to profitability. When someone like Bill Gates predicts that "
over 50% of business travel will go away and that that from now on, businesses will have a "very high threshold" for traveling to conduct in-person meetings", it is a good indicator that the Air Canada business model will need to adapt, and I just don't see any evidence of that occurring.

AC seems to be a few strategic steps behind the market changes. It would be political suicide for a government to provide loan guarantees or a cash infusion without an equity guarantee. In 2009, the feds bailed out Ontario's automobile sector in the amount of $13.7 billion. The feds had to write off an estimated $3.7billion. Chrysler went bankrupt and others came up with accounting trickery to avoid repayment. I don't think the feds want a repeat.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
CBC: As passengers pushed for refunds, Air Canada got more than $400 million

A CBC story just posted about 30 minutes ago, link is here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/air...d-19-1.5824950

Informative Sections:
Air Canada has received the largest amount of government pandemic aid of all publicly traded companies in Canada that have disclosed their finances to shareholders to date, a CBC News investigation has found.

The country's largest airline reported that it collected $492 million in public funds through the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) to pay its employees over a period ending Sept. 30, according to Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and TSX Venture Exchanges filings.

According to CBC's findings from information posted to date, that's roughly four times more than the second-highest sum paid to a publicly traded company through the wage subsidy, which went to Imperial Oil. The Calgary-based energy giant disclosed it received $120 million from CEWS. Linamar, a large automobile parts manufacturer, and Air Transat also received more than $100 million each to help cover salaries.

WestJet, Sunwing, Porter Airlines and Flair Airlines all received the wage subsidy to help cover their payrolls; none of them trade on the TSX and none of them have disclosed to CBC News the amount of money they received. Chorus Aviation, which owns regional airlines Jazz and Voyageur, received almost $97 million through the wage subsidy, according to TSX filings.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
A CBC story just posted about 30 minutes ago, link is here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/air...d-19-1.5824950

Informative Sections:
This isn't that surprising. The CEWS is calculated based on a reduction in revenues. If you look at publicly traded companies in Canada, and their relative reduction in revenues, AC as a company may have had one of the largest. So based on how the program worked, they would qualify for a fair bit. Keep in mind that the program is open to all Canadian businesses both large and small where qualification is entirely based on revenue reduction. Whether it is fair or not is a totally different argument...
Old Dec 6, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC Elite
No issue with AC using the wage subsidy

as there was no doubt employees were taking the reduction of traffic on the chin.

As far as AC holding on to airfares instead of refunding in hopes of getting a bailout on their terms is probably ‘good’ business but is at the same time <redacted>. I would advocate the GOC playing hardball but it won’t alleviate pressure on those individuals who have hundreds/thousands of $$ tied up anytime soon, so AC should not express outrage the next time they get sideswiped by some govt policy. What goes around, comes around.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 6, 2020 at 7:21 pm Reason: Language
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack

Informative Sections:
video report:
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:28 am

“John Gradek, a former Air Canada executive and lecturer at McGill University's global aviation leadership program, claims the airline industry is "bullying" the government into bailing out the sector, arguing that other countries have already done so. He said Air Canada is playing a "shell game" of its own.”

Into the Theatre of the Absurd now haha. In the middle of a pandemic, the disproportionately negatively impacted airline industry is in a position to bully the government of a G7 country.

Decades of corporate welfarism / regulatory capture reach their logical endpoint, with the Government and Canadian taxpayers/consumers beholden to airlines in an economic crisis, rather than the other way round.

Makes you wonder how broken a market has to be to get to this point.
hoipolloi likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 7, 2020 at 9:03 am Reason: off topic
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Interesting how the news is portraying all of this as AC received $492 million in subsidies. My understanding of the wage subsidy was that it was a way to maintain workforce attachment and to take the heat off the CERB/EI systems. I'd like to understand how many of these employees end up still employed in a year when things start to get going again. AC certainly benefits from being able to keep employees attached to them and some subsidy of employees during part of the pandemic, but really this benefits the employees and not necessarily the company that much. I'm not passing judgement on the nature of the subsidy, but to say that the company was given $492 M is only part of the story.
The Lev, IluvSQ and CanadaDH like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
This isn't that surprising. The CEWS is calculated based on a reduction in revenues. If you look at publicly traded companies in Canada, and their relative reduction in revenues, AC as a company may have had one of the largest. So based on how the program worked, they would qualify for a fair bit. Keep in mind that the program is open to all Canadian businesses both large and small where qualification is entirely based on revenue reduction. Whether it is fair or not is a totally different argument...
Yes, this is just muckraking journalism. The wage subsidy was meant to preserve jobs, not give passenger refunds.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Resurrection
Yes, this is just muckraking journalism. The wage subsidy was meant to preserve jobs, not give passenger refunds.
I think they are trying to make the point that Air Canada is still refusing to refund passengers, even though it is only paying 25% of its active staff salary, while the rest of payroll is borne by Canadian taxpayers.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
I think they are trying to make the point that Air Canada is still refusing to refund passengers, even though it is only paying 25% of its active staff salary, while the rest of payroll is borne by Canadian taxpayers.
If their argument is that they'll barely survive financially WITH all this support, why is it surprising that they claim they can't afford refunds?

Note that I'm not arguing that they're right, only suggesting that "we can't afford to keep everyone on the payroll" and "we can't afford to give refunds" are consistent parts of the same argument.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
If their argument is that they'll barely survive financially WITH all this support, why is it surprising that they claim they can't afford refunds?

Note that I'm not arguing that they're right, only suggesting that "we can't afford to keep everyone on the payroll" and "we can't afford to give refunds" are consistent parts of the same argument.
Depends on the argument, I suppose:

We know the minister (Minister of Transport Marc Garneau) has made it clear that refunds would be required, and based on the size and scale of the program we have no issue, no quarrel with that at all. We have already refunded about $1.2 billion of refundable fares, and of course there’s been a lot of pressure about the non-refundable fares, and so we would definitely do that assuming that the terms of the support package are adequate and that the terms are appropriate and reasonable.”

https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/airl...rovinescu.html

AC tied refunds to a federal bail out on AC’s conditions and terms. If they need a bail out on any conditions (even ones they dictate) then, by your own logic, they will never be able to afford refunds. And off we go in circles.

CBC’s basically holding AC to its publicly stated position - that it will refund if it receives subsidies. CEWS is a subsidy (it’s in the name) and not an insignificant one at that. Perfectly fair to ask why it hasn’t been accompanied by corresponding subsidies. AC claim they haven’t gotten aid, yet they’re sitting on billions (in a way none of their international competitors have been able to) with the explicit permission of the government, and have picked up $100Ms more in wage subsidies. See how the narrative falls apart?

I suppose what we’re witnessing is a PR battle between muckraking journalists and muckflinging hacks. Popcorn please!
skybluesea and hoipolloi like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 11:14 am
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by yulred
CBC’s basically holding AC to its publicly stated position - that it will refund if it receives subsidies. CEWS is a subsidy (it’s in the name) and not an insignificant one at that. Perfectly fair to ask why it hasn’t been accompanied by corresponding subsidies. AC claim they haven’t gotten aid, yet they’re sitting on billions (in a way none of their international competitors have been able to) with the explicit permission of the government, and have picked up $100Ms more in wage subsidies. See how the narrative falls apart?
As has been pointed out CEWS is available to all eligible Canadian businesses so does not constitute aviation sector specific aid which is I believe what Canadian airlines including AC are seeking from the federal government.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
As has been pointed out CEWS is available to all eligible Canadian businesses so does not constitute aviation sector specific aid which is I believe what Canadian airlines including AC are seeking from the federal government.
Yes, I’m aware that it’s not sector-specific, but it is a subsidy all the same.

It’s that type of slicing and dicing (not by anyone here in particular, but in general) that has left us with this narrative of endless contradictions, where:

- beggars can be choosers (“we need aid, but will only accept it on our terms”);
- direct and indirect subsidies are dismissed out of hand in aid of an affected victim complex (“Canada is the only one not bailing out airlines”, indirect subsidies like the refund shenanigans notwithstanding); and,
- dogma prevails over fact (no Econ 101 textbook is going to change the fact that there are many partially and fully government owned airlines out there that provide better service to their paying customers - NZ, SQ etc - and now LH?)

I don’t particularly object to AC turning down aid, but to pretend that it has received no aid at all isn’t quite the truth, is it? Which is to say, I think CBC is well within its rights to engage in this “muckraking journalism”. If only to point out all the muck that others are throwing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.