Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How to maximize AC/Aeroplan benefits with new Aeroplan- co-branded credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to maximize AC/Aeroplan benefits with new Aeroplan- co-branded credit cards?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:15 pm

I see GCR has rebates for three Aeroplan branded Amex cards.
https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/display/Finance/
Old Nov 24, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
On the branded credit cards / family integration of Aeroplan. My wife has an Aeroplan-branded credit card. I don't. Our Aeroplan accounts are linked. Do I automatically get the "benefits" of her card when booking award tickets or does it only apply if I get a "secondary" credit card on her account?
Only authorized card users. For the Visa Infinite, the only benefit is 1 free bag for everyone on the PNR (up to 9 pax). The premium card has priority check-in/boarding/bag handling and MLL access in North America for 1 (but not *Gold lounges or Signature Suites)
Old Nov 24, 2020, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
Only authorized card users. For the Visa Infinite, the only benefit is 1 free bag for everyone on the PNR (up to 9 pax). The premium card has priority check-in/boarding/bag handling and MLL access in North America for 1 (but not *Gold lounges or Signature Suites)
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...y-sharing.html says "Have an Aeroplan Elite Status Member or primary Credit Cardholder in your pool? Everyone can benefit from their preferred pricing!"
Old Nov 24, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...y-sharing.html says "Have an Aeroplan Elite Status Member or primary Credit Cardholder in your pool? Everyone can benefit from their preferred pricing!"
Yeah - I read that and was wondering about the use of "can". Does it mean "can...if they get an authorised card"? Or "does" automatically in the pooling?
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Curious if anyone is actually going to get any of these cards? They all seem mediocre at best, with terrible sign up bonuses and low earnings compared to the annual fee.

It's going to be a poopshow when people realize that these sign up bonuses + earnings are not going to be able to even cover the inevitable 100,000 miles for a one-way YVR-YYZ in J once demand picks up and AC raises their current 50,000 average pricing.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Curious if anyone is actually going to get any of these cards? They all seem mediocre at best, with terrible sign up bonuses and low earnings compared to the annual fee.

It's going to be a poopshow when people realize that these sign up bonuses + earnings are not going to be able to even cover the inevitable 100,000 miles for a one-way YVR-YYZ in J once demand picks up and AC raises their current 50,000 average pricing.
I can get well over the annual fee in value out of a 50,000-point signing bonus, and easily that much again or more out of a Buddy Pass, and rolling over eUps into 2021 is going to fit my plans really well. Those three metrics alone make it an easy win for me, but it would be ridiculous to pretend premium cards are always a good fit for everyone in every case.

For example, if YVR-YYZ in J is the only award that's worthwhile to you, and you're convinced that Aeroplan are just biding their time until they can completely throw out the published award guidelines, then I would agree that you shouldn't put much value in 50,000 miles. Considering that we're already seeing a large percentage of YVR-YYZ business awards at well outside the *top* of the "estimated" points range (for informational purposes only), I get where you're coming from with that.

On the other hand, the fixed 55,000-point cost for YVR-TYO one-way business class strikes me as a pretty good deal, so for people interested in that, a premium card is essentially an opportunity to pay $500-600 for a ticket that costs $3,000 cash, and have some bonus perks left over.

So it really depends what your value points are.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
I’m a little late to possibly switching my card to the infinite privilege card for a large project....I haven’t seen any good promos still available. Are they still around, or do they usually refresh in the new year?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
On the other hand, the fixed 55,000-point cost for YVR-TYO one-way business class strikes me as a pretty good deal, so for people interested in that, a premium card is essentially an opportunity to pay $500-600 for a ticket that costs $3,000 cash, and have some bonus perks left over.

So it really depends what your value points are.
I agree with your general idea about what people value, but I got YYJ-YYZ a few times this year, last minute, for 25k. 55k now seems like a LOT in comparison!

I think that for me the Buddy pass is worth way more to me. 1 Y/B fare (+eups) with Mrs. PITUK is way better than paying for 2 low flex fares that I might not be able to upgrade. Rolling over eups will probably be nice, but rolling over SQM in future years is definitely valuable to me if past travel is any indication of future travel.

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I agree with your general idea about what people value, but I got YYJ-YYZ a few times this year, last minute, for 25k. 55k now seems like a LOT in comparison!
The only difference between this year and last year, is that last year the 25,000-point award is the only one that showed up as a Classic Reward, while the same flight that now sells for 55,000 miles, was listed under "Market Fare" for 55,000, and many people never saw it.

I don't think that changes the fact that AP published a chart in the summer telling us what to expect, and already the real-world results are too frequently WAY outside of that, but there were "cheap awards" and "expensive awards" before the switch, too.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Yeah - I read that and was wondering about the use of "can". Does it mean "can...if they get an authorised card"? Or "does" automatically in the pooling?
I have <1000 miles, my wife is an Aeroplan multi millionaire. We decided not to get the $599 card, because we really dont need more Aeroplan miles at the moment.

I got the free TD card for the buddy pass, and the redemption discounts were there as soon as the card linked to my account, using her miles.

So as long as someone in the pool has the card
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For the 1,000 SQM (status qualification boost) per $5k or $10k depending on card, do these post along with the monthly statement or is anyone finding that they lag 1 month behind? I had mine stop posting for 3 months and then it seems now they're lagging a month behind. I have the CIBC Aeroplan Black card.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018-23
My Amex Reserve generally posts with in 3 to 4 days of the statement. Once, it did not post, I called Aeroplan, they found them very quickly. I suspect the file transfer did not process since it was around the May long weekend period.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
For the 1,000 SQM (status qualification boost) per $5k or $10k depending on card, do these post along with the monthly statement or is anyone finding that they lag 1 month behind? I had mine stop posting for 3 months and then it seems now they're lagging a month behind. I have the CIBC Aeroplan Black card.
On my TD, the SQM tend to post the day after my statement closes.
The points post the next day.
And then TD actually generates the statement the next day.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
CIBC VIP has been posting 2-3 days after the points post (statement closes)
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:24 pm

I have the same card and find that the SQM/SQS tend to post 1 day after the statement date. The other miles all post on the statement date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.