Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gift of Travel Flight Passes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I bought one of these flight passes hoping that by booking into Flex M class, they would require only 2 eupgrade credits for 1501+ mile flights, as per AC's own chart:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...rements_EN.pdf

However when I went to actually book a flight today, I notice they're asking for 8 eupgrade credits for YYZ-YYC, rather than 2 as I expected. Anyone else experience this discrepancy?
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Did you actually book the flight? or just tick the eupgrade box when looking at the options? I've noticed that before booking the system displays an incorrect number of credits. Once the ticket is actually booked, and you got to process the eupgrade you will see the correct number of credits. You can make a booking and cancel it within 24 hours without penalty, so feel free to try this out.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AwardBee
I bought one of these flight passes hoping that by booking into Flex M class, they would require only 2 eupgrade credits for 1501+ mile flights, as per AC's own chart:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...rements_EN.pdf

However when I went to actually book a flight today, I notice they're asking for 8 eupgrade credits for YYZ-YYC, rather than 2 as I expected. Anyone else experience this discrepancy?
Is this in the FP app? The FP app is frequently wrong on this topic.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Did you actually book the flight? or just tick the eupgrade box when looking at the options? I've noticed that before booking the system displays an incorrect number of credits. Once the ticket is actually booked, and you got to process the eupgrade you will see the correct number of credits. You can make a booking and cancel it within 24 hours without penalty, so feel free to try this out.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Is this in the FP app? The FP app is frequently wrong on this topic.
Just checked the eUpgrade box when looking at the options. Thanks guys, will check again after booking.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Did anyone get the 8 e-up credits from their select benefits for the purchase of the Gift of Travel Sun Pass? I hadn’t, wrote in, and just got a reply that the pass doesn’t qualify, as it is promotional.

I don’t feel very satisfied with this answer, and am thinking of trying to elevate my complaint, but thought I would check with the community first. I didn’t see anywhere in the language where this pass wouldn’t qualify when I purchased it.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Did anyone get the 8 e-up credits from their select benefits for the purchase of the Gift of Travel Sun Pass? I hadn’t, wrote in, and just got a reply that the pass doesn’t qualify, as it is promotional.

I don’t feel very satisfied with this answer, and am thinking of trying to elevate my complaint, but thought I would check with the community first. I didn’t see anywhere in the language where this pass wouldn’t qualify when I purchased it.
I wrote in as well and received the same answer. I replied back saying that I don't agree and asked for publicly available terms that said they didn't qualify but they didn't answer.

how do you plan to escalate ? I'm planning to do the same
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:52 pm

I haven’t figured that out yet, and I’m open to suggestions from anyone.

I bought my pass after the Nov 8th switchover date, and I looked for the terms online to see if this pas would be eligible or not, but I couldn’t find anything on the website.

Interestingly, if you look at the current select benefit terms for 2021, while it excludes Unlimited, Business and Large Corporation FP products, there is no mention of promotional passes anywhere. It just says 6, 8, 10, 16 or 20 credit passes and excludes what is mentioned above. I grabbed a screenshot, and intend to include it in my reply, and ask for a response from a supervisor.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Since AC sold us this pass they have decimated their European schedule and no longer fly to places that they claimed to fly to when the pass was sold. Has anybody called in to see if they will book you on a flight that connects with LH to cities they claimed were bookable with the passes?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC

I just checked and didn't get them.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Since AC sold us this pass they have decimated their European schedule and no longer fly to places that they claimed to fly to when the pass was sold. Has anybody called in to see if they will book you on a flight that connects with LH to cities they claimed were bookable with the passes?
I expect not. FPs are AC only, I think. The only reason that I bought a GoT pass (and still haven't used a credit) is that the expiry date was incredibly long - still more than a year to go. If there is still no schedule a year from now, then there may be some concessions.

That's just my completely uninformed FOTSG opinion.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Selling tickets YVR-SYD in October, when it was essentially out of the question that those flights would operate, was shady AF.

Cancelling one out of five daily YYZ-YOW flights "due to government restrictions" and rebooking passengers on the same route hours later, was downright dishonest.

...but in the interest of calling a potato a potato, I'm not clear on where the false claim is, here. When these particular FPs went on sale, pretty much everyone here accurately assessed them as 'a good deal, with a risk of future flight cancellations'. For example:

That's the only thing giving me pause - I think I have 2 or three flight credits probably worth $5K and then another $4K that is supposed to show up someday in a mysterious credit bank. Unfortunately the tally is likely to go up next year with further cancellations.
Hard to say you didn't know what you were getting into.

​​​​

​​​​
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
In regards to the status bonus, I'd just quote the exact terms of it, which has not mentioned promotional passes for 5 years. You bought an N credit pass, which should qualify.

In regards to routes not being offered and booking on LH, that's not happening. But I really don't think these things are going to expire until 12 months after flying is actually possible.

I bought a bunch of passes in October/November 2019, and they're all valid through September 2021.

If I were a betting man, I'd say they'll expire 12 months after the 14 day quarantine stops being mandatory for everyone (i.e. if there are ways around it like a test or proof of vaccine, or if they drop it altogether).
YOWgary and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
In regards to the status bonus, I'd just quote the exact terms of it, which has not mentioned promotional passes for 5 years. You bought an N credit pass, which should qualify.

In regards to routes not being offered and booking on LH, that's not happening. But I really don't think these things are going to expire until 12 months after flying is actually possible.

I bought a bunch of passes in October/November 2019, and they're all valid through September 2021.

If I were a betting man, I'd say they'll expire 12 months after the 14 day quarantine stops being mandatory for everyone (i.e. if there are ways around it like a test or proof of vaccine, or if they drop it altogether).
Thanks for the advice Scott, much appreciated.

Would anyone still happen to have a copy of the terms and conditions from 2020 and earlier? I tried to search for it, but all links lead back to the new Aeroplan site.

I am absolutely going for fight for these credits. As a 50K, I do tend to use what I get, but it’s also the principle of the thing. I bought an 8 credit pass, the terms don’t seem to exclude it, so please fulfill your end of the bargain. I’m trying to do my part to support AC in a tough time, they should do the same.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
selectable privileges

If you choose different dates on archiive.org you can see when the promotional exclusion was removed, but II'm pretty sure it was 2015 or 2016.

This bonus applies to eligible Flight Pass activities completed between January 1 and December 31, 2020. Eligible Flight Pass activities are defined as the purchase of an eligible Flight Pass of 6, 8, 10, 16 or 20 flight credits (excluding Unlimited Flight Passes and Flight Passes for Business and Flight Passes for Large Corporations); the usage of every 10 eligible flight credits in conjunction with a Flight Pass for Business or Flight Pass for Large Corporations; or the duration of the travel period when you purchase an eligible Unlimited Flight Pass, on a monthly basis. Following an eligible activity, it may take up to three weeks for Altitude Qualifying Miles to be deposited into your Aeroplan account.
Edit: November 4 2017 had the exclusion: http://web.archive.org/web/201711041.../flight-passes
VoodooYYC and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:57 pm

Write to [email protected] to ask for missing bonus eUpgrades
VoodooYYC and YOWgary like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.