Wiki Posts
Search

E-Coupon extension?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
E-Coupon extension?

I got an e-coupon for a mechanical cancelation back in March (they claimed “extenuating circumstances” for the EU 261), during the Wild West days just when Covid was starting to spread. It has an expiration of March 2021, but it’s looking more and more like I won’t be able to use it (especially since the US and Canada are essentially closed to each other).

Is there any chance I can get this extended? Should I just call or email Air Canada?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
This subject has come up several times recently. Some have reported getting extensions from AC by calling or writing in. If you want to save that hassle, there's a self-serve option - book a new ticket using the eCoupon, then cancel the new ticket for another eCoupon that will have no expiry. Described further here.
dinoscool3 and painintheuk like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Voucher extension because of COVID?

I have a $350 voucher expiring in March. Any chance of getting this extended? Anybody else with similar issue?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Prestige
I have a $350 voucher expiring in March. Any chance of getting this extended? Anybody else with similar issue?
With my moderator hat on, I've merged your thread into this one. Scroll up to the post before.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
What did they say when you called in? Was this issued last March?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:17 pm

I politely wrote in for a 1 year extension on a 30 percent discount code. No problem getting it.

For credits that expire I would just book and cancel a flight a day or two later and get the e-gift card that doesn’t expire. I’ve done this with two credits. Takes a bit of work to find a flight or a pair of flights that get as close to the credit value as wanted.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by bakersdozen
For credits that expire I would just book and cancel a flight a day or two later and get the e-gift card that doesn’t expire. I’ve done this with two credits. Takes a bit of work to find a flight or a pair of flights that get as close to the credit value as wanted.
But also takes months to get the new voucher. If one doesn't need/want to be able to use the credit anytime soon, it's fine, but if you want to have access to the funds, asking for an extension might be superior.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
What did they say when you called in? Was this issued last March?
I have not called in yet. Will give it a try and report back. Issued in March regarding some issues I had with a flight in February.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:26 am
Original Poster

I finally got around to calling in because I'm lazy. The agent I got said all eCoupons have been extended to two years for right now. Has anyone else heard this? I suppose I should have asked for some kind of email confirmation.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I finally got around to calling in because I'm lazy. The agent I got said all eCoupons have been extended to two years for right now. Has anyone else heard this? I suppose I should have asked for some kind of email confirmation.
Someone else on this forum has reported the same. I think you might be able to convert this to a Travel Voucher, and then you don't need to worry about an expiry date.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have a $150 eCoupon that was originally set to expire a month ago. I've been assuming it was extended another year, but I'm also tempted to find a $150-$160 flight and turn the whole thing into a gift card.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 11:56 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
...t I'm also tempted to find a $150-$160 flight and turn the whole thing into a gift card.
Yeah, that's what I did with my last $300 one for a broken seat.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:41 pm

I have not called in yet. Will give it a try and report back. Issued in March regarding some issues I had with a flight in February.
update: extended for 12 months.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Follow up on this. Any chance ecoupons will be extended anymore? Mine expires in April, and was planning on taking a trip to Canada in Jan but might not happen now. Can I purchase a ticket that's beyond the expiration (at this point April)?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Follow up on this. Any chance ecoupons will be extended anymore? Mine expires in April, and was planning on taking a trip to Canada in Jan but might not happen now. Can I purchase a ticket that's beyond the expiration (at this point April)?
I can't comment on the first question other than to speculate, but the answer to the second question is an eCoupon only needs to be used to purchase a ticket before its expiration date. Travel can occur after the expiration date. You could use the eCoupon in April to pay for a trip in January 2023, for example.
dinoscool3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.