Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Variable Pricing - Post your search results here

Aeroplan Variable Pricing - Post your search results here

Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by ac/elite
Not sure whether this is the right thread to post this in, but I'm pricing out an itinerary in business class with a stopover YVR-IST-TLV-YVR. If I book online, I can book a multi-city itinerary, YVR-IST TLV-YVR for 149,500 pts and then a OW IST-TLV for 15,000 pts, for a total of 164,500 pts. I thought I'd save points by calling an agent and having this booked as a roundtrip with stopover in IST, but they are quoting 169,500. I thought that the first agent must be doing something wrong, so I called back and had another agent price it out. Same thing, and that was after him talking to a supervisor. Guess I'll book it as two separate itineraries.
I haven't checked distance flown against the award chart, but are you accounting for the 5,000-point cost for the stopover at IST? If you want that stop to be >24h, you'll encounter that cost whether you book one-way or return.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I haven't checked distance flown against the award chart, but are you accounting for the 5,000-point cost for the stopover at IST? If you want that stop to be >24h, you'll encounter that cost whether you book one-way or return.
I havent spent the time I guess to fully understand the new pricing, but I thought it would have been cheaper to book it on one ticket with the stopover would have been fewer points than booking it as two itineraries, especially with what I understood to be 5000 points only for a stopover. My thinking was that since I was essentially paying 15,000 points for a stopover, I would save 10,000 points by putting it all on the one itinerary. I clearly have more to do to understand how it works.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
In general you're correct, but there may be instances where A-B + B-C is cheaper than A-B-C with (or even without) a stopover.

It would be pretty easy to run the math.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:06 pm

Noticed something similar the other day for a one way in Sept.

YVR/FRA/ATH - AC J, LH Y - 124.6k
YVR/FRA/ATH - AC Y, A3 J - 85k
YVR/FRA/SKG - AC J, LH Y - 126.3k
YVR/FRA/SKG - AC Y, A3 J - 70k
YVR/FRA/RHO - AC J, A3 Y - 122.7k
YVR/FRA/IST - AC leg Y, 2nd leg TK J - 85k
YVR/FRA/IST - AC leg J, 2nd leg LH Y - 94.3k (!)

YVR/FRA - in J - 156.4k

The whole thing is a mess. If the leg is available in J, why are certain carrier combos triggering it to move into Y. And that 2nd IST option
Old May 27, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Dynamic pricing out in full force for the summer

Domestic flights are selling for $100-$115 all in (desperation/competition?). Some routes are as low as 3.5k points + tax. Dynamic valuation of 1.5-1.8cpm
Old May 27, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Dynamic pricing out in full force for the summer

Domestic flights are selling for $100-$115 all in (desperation/competition?). Some routes are as low as 3.5k points + tax. Dynamic valuation of 1.5-1.8cpm
It is COMPETITION.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Dynamic pricing out in full force for the summer. Domestic flights are selling for $100-$115 all in (desperation/competition?).
Well, sort of.

Maybe half a dozen routes are selling at that rate, for example I can get YOW-YVR for $125 one-way if I book three weeks out, but if I want to get on that very same flight, but tack a 12-minute hop to Nanaimo onto the end, that'll run me $567.

​​​​​​YYZ-YVR is dirt cheap all summer, which might be about competition, or it might be about the fact that a route that used to do thirteen directs a day is currently doing four, and they're trying to coax vaccinated travellers back onto airplanes. Then again, YYZ-YVR tomorrow will run you $870 one-way, when they know anyone buying a ticket probably *has* to travel.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and those $59 Flair fares are about to revolutionize the Canadian airline industry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.