Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC MLL vs. WS flagship lounge in YYC; how do both compare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Been a while since I visited YYC MLL, how do both compare?

WestJet has chosen Calgary to launch its first airport lounge, a move the carrier says “turns up the heat” on rival Air Canada in the ground-based comfort sweepstakes.

WestJet spokesman Richard Bartrem said chief domestic rival Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounge at the airport is now in a dogfight.

“Our competitive friend down the road has been running lounges for decades now. They’ve been going after premium and business travellers, and this is relatively new for WestJet and they’re noticing us as well,” he said.

“So we’re very much going after that segment of the market, and the fact the heat has been turned up hasn’t surprised us.”

Recently, Air Canada has been running promotional videos of its Maple Leaf Lounge at the airport, with the motto “welcome back Calgary.”
Article and video: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...off-in-calgary
Old Oct 29, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by mileageking

Article and video: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...off-in-calgary
Looks like a very nice lounge

Everyone with masks kind of takes away from the personalization and social aspects of a lounge, but it is what it is!
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Looks like a very nice lounge

Everyone with masks kind of takes away from the personalization and social aspects of a lounge, but it is what it is!
Agree. The points guy posted detailed review here https://thepointsguy.com/news/westje...ry-first-look/

I thought this was interesting
  • Anyone flying any airline that wouldn’t otherwise have complimentary access can pay a fee to get in. It costs 59 CAD (~$45) for those flying WestJet and 65 CAD (~$49) for those flying other airlines.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I'm glad to see WS bringing in some competition. Particularly on wines, the MLL wines are probably the cheapest drink in there ($10 a bottle at the liquor store).
Old Oct 29, 2020, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The WS lounge doesn't open until next week, so no one knows for sure yet. (That blog piece is just a rehash of the WS PR, including use of WS's photos).
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 2, 2020 at 4:59 am Reason: Post move
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Agree. The points guy posted detailed review here https://thepointsguy.com/news/westje...ry-first-look/

I thought this was interesting
Watching the official Westjet video you can spot the Points Guy, prince of Travel, etc doing their thing which I thought was funny.

I have two flights to YVR, may make a change and go through YYC and visit the lounge.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
I'll be there Friday. However since I am flying F8, I won't be able to compare with the MLL directly on the same day. Opening day is today, so hoping all the problems are worked out by Friday
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I had a look at whether I could get any decent fares for a short hope somewhere this week to go check it out, but nothing looked very good. Maybe later in the week I'll buy refundable tickets on both AC and WS for the same day and cancel after doing a head-to-head comparison...

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Watching the official Westjet video you can spot the Points Guy, prince of Travel, etc doing their thing which I thought was funny.
Eh? The TPG article is clearly 100% recycled WS PR materials. The person who "wrote" it definitely wasn't there.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I kind of like the fact that they offer nap beds. I wish air Canada would have them too in all their lounges

Though the placement right where everyone can see you is questionable.

Old Nov 2, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The WS lounge doesn't open until next week, so no one knows for sure yet. (That blog piece is just a rehash of the WS PR, including use of WS's photos).
There is some independent video from other v-blogers. It looks like they held some type of event for ytubers and the press.

It is definitely a step up from the old lounge WS had taken over. The only compelling feature of the old WS lounge was an abundance of cheese. It was cheap cheese that was appropriately paired with cheap wine. This new lounge looks fantastic. Hopefully it lives up to the marketing.

In comparison to AC, Calgary had the advantage of having one of the best (perhaps the best domestic MLL) Maple Leaf lounge in the network. Competition is good especially if it causes AC to up its game.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
There is some independent video from other v-blogers. It looks like they held some type of event for ytubers and the press.
Yes, I know; Prince of Travel was also there in person. I was commenting specifically on the TPG dreck.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So can we access this lounge when flying AC using priority pass?

EDIT: From what I've read on the WS site, yes. Maybe I'll stop in tomorrow on my way west, would have to route through YYC though. Adam Smith mini do?

Last edited by Nitehawk; Nov 2, 2020 at 10:05 am
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
So can we access this lounge when flying AC using priority pass?

EDIT: From what I've read on the WS site, yes. Maybe I'll stop in tomorrow on my way west, would have to route through YYC though. Adam Smith mini do?
That's what I was thinking - if this lounge is nicer than AC's then get ready for a flood of AC flyers with PP who switch to using the WS lounge.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by cooleddie
I kind of like the fact that they offer nap beds. I wish air Canada would have them too in all their lounges

Though the placement right where everyone can see you is questionable.
As per Ricky @ prince of travel, it's one way glass to the corridor
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
That's what I was thinking - if this lounge is nicer than AC's then get ready for a flood of AC flyers with PP who switch to using the WS lounge.
They may even roll the red carpet if you flash the SE card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.