Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Red zone" flight: Offer to rebook for free if flight is full

"Red zone" flight: Offer to rebook for free if flight is full

Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold
Was able to call another agent, that willing to change the flight for me; however, she told me the system prevented her from changing. She asked me to change the flight at the airport ticketing desk. Doubt if it will work - let's see.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So if the threshold is X% (whatever it really is), can I switch from a X% flight to a >X% flight?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:30 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So if the threshold is X% (whatever it really is), can I switch from a X% flight to a >X% flight?
I enquired in the summer and was told that wasn't an issue.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Just to report that it doesn’t work today at the airport.

Checked in at YUL - there’s loads of people in YUL agent asked to do it in YVR

Once arrived in YVR both lounge agent and check in counter can’t do it.

we just didn’t bother changing it in the end
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tobiashenry

Was the load still >=60%?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tobiashenry

Were the agents at the airport aware of the policy and couldn't do it because it was a TK ticket? Or did you have any issues even getting them to try? I can't imagine this is a policy many people would be trying to take advantage of once already at the airport, and that these changes would be almost always done online or by Reservations.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm not sure you can even SDC on other tickets post-Amadeus. If that's the case, I can't see AC ever being able to do something like this.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:04 pm

I did look around the AC travel agents site to see whether there was anything there that one might be able to use with an OAL to explain the process, but there was nothing in the SKCH document or anywhere else about how to effect this type of change. So perhaps it's only possible to do it on an AC ticket, despite the AC site not mentioning that.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I did look around the AC travel agents site to see whether there was anything there that one might be able to use with an OAL to explain the process, but there was nothing in the SKCH document or anywhere else about how to effect this type of change. So perhaps it's only possible to do it on an AC ticket, despite the AC site not mentioning that.
Let me dig into this and see what I can find.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Was the load still >=60%?
Yes the load was more like 80%

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Were the agents at the airport aware of the policy and couldn't do it because it was a TK ticket? Or did you have any issues even getting them to try? I can't imagine this is a policy many people would be trying to take advantage of once already at the airport, and that these changes would be almost always done online or by Reservations.
I explained to them the so called "Red zone" policy but the agent tried 5 minutes to deal with it on the computer but it says it does not work. I am not entirely sure what she did.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 24, 2021 at 12:04 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Got an e-mail from Air Canada indicating that my flight tomorrow, AC 133, is expected to be full. Offered a free change on another flight within 3 days... Except that almost all the seats are booked today and tomorrow. Fingers crossed increased frequencies soon.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
Got an e-mail from Air Canada indicating that my flight tomorrow, AC 133, is expected to be full. Offered a free change on another flight within 3 days... Except that almost all the seats are booked today and tomorrow. Fingers crossed increased frequencies soon.
I had that to, to YYT yesterday

Back of the plane was empty. I've not yet renewed my EF subscription yet to check the actual loads
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
EF doesn't show actual loads. It shows what they're willing to sell, which can be impacted by loads on other flights.

133 tomorrow is wide open in J and overbooked in Y.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan unknown
I got a similar email for our July 1st YYC to YVR. Mine directed me to confirm my booking or have it canceled.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnYYC
I got a similar email for our July 1st YYC to YVR. Mine directed me to confirm my booking or have it canceled.
Really? The one I got today included the following:

"Note that if you are unable to confirm, your booking will not be cancelled."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.