Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC launches flights to Doha (DOH); codeshare with Qatar Airways (QR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC launches flights to Doha (DOH); codeshare with Qatar Airways (QR)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by fbrdky
(Nov 14 6 AM): I used Priority Pass to try to get into the Al Maha/Oryx Lounge but was instead given a voucher to use QR's business lounge (not AM but the one for Oneworld status holders). When I presented my voucher to QR staff at the lounge, I was instead told to use the First Class lounge (again, not AS but the one for Oneworld status holders). Odd thing is that both of these lounges are listed as closed on Oneworld lounge finder. Anyways, there were some cold individual dishes (cheese, cold cuts, bread) catered by QR kitchen. The lounge itself is small but was quiet when I was there.
I was told by QR staff that as an AC J passenger (although booked as a QR codeshare) I could only use the Oryx lounge, which, for noise and crowding, compared quite unfavourably with just going to an unused gate area. Where does one find this other QR business lounge? Do you recall its name?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by WoodlandCreature
I was told by QR staff that as an AC J passenger (although booked as a QR codeshare) I could only use the Oryx lounge, which, for noise and crowding, compared quite unfavourably with just going to an unused gate area. Where does one find this other QR business lounge? Do you recall its name?
It's 30 meter or so and "10 o'clock" from the giant teddy bear (if Concourse CDE is 12 o'clock) and up an escalator. I don't recall the actual name
Old Nov 30, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by WoodlandCreature
There is the Al Mourjan lounge, which I was allowed to use on the outbound, because my flight to ZNZ was on QR J. Sometimes, they also allowed paid upgrades to AM, I was told. It is massive and wonderful.

There is the Qatar Business Class Lounge, which just re-opened, for which I was given a voucher on the return flight. (As DOH-YYZ was on AC, I was not eligible for Al Mourjan, apparently, and it was a short connection regardless.) It is near the Al Safwa 1st Lounge, but I needed a staff member to show me where to go.

There is the Oryx Lounge, where I was pointed on the return, which is worse than remaining in the concourse.

As for finding them, while Al Safwa and Al Mourjan have good signage, the others do not. I ended up asking the staff at the escalators, who took me where I needed to go.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
I'm very happy to hear that the Onyx lounge wasn't worth entering. Yesterday, I departed Doha and arrived at the Onyx Lounge around 8:00am, as per the customer service agent's recommendation. If you believe that we have MLL dragon ladies, you need to travel to Doha to meet the Onyx Lounge demons, they were extremely rude and didn't understand Air Canada boarding procedures in Doha, discussed further below. They blatantly lied and stated that the flight was in final call, whereas, in the AC's app I knew that boarding only begun at 8:10am. I just wanted to check it out. As others stated, the Onyx lounge was extremely busy and noisy and I decided not to argue and left.

I'm not sure if Air Canada always departs from D1 but it is at least a 15 minute walk from the Onyx Lounge to the D gates. Then once you arrived there it was mayhem since most passengers were connecting and agents needed to verify the necessary documentation to adhere to the Government of Canada's policies to travel to Canada. There weren't any lines for those of us who originated in Doha, as the documentation was already verified at check-in, so we wouldn't require another check. There also wasn't a line for business class passengers, so that wait took at least 25 minutes - remember my final call by the Onyx demons. It was quite the experience.

Of note, don't travel to Doha with alcohol and all connecting passengers must retrieve their luggage in Toronto and go through security again.
unclepants likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by qrctraveller
I'm very happy to hear that the Onyx lounge wasn't worth entering. Yesterday, I departed Doha and arrived at the Onyx Lounge around 8:00am, as per the customer service agent's recommendation. If you believe that we have MLL dragon ladies, you need to travel to Doha to meet the Onyx Lounge demons, they were extremely rude and didn't understand Air Canada boarding procedures in Doha, discussed further below. They blatantly lied and stated that the flight was in final call, whereas, in the AC's app I knew that boarding only begun at 8:10am. I just wanted to check it out. As others stated, the Onyx lounge was extremely busy and noisy and I decided not to argue and left.

I'm not sure if Air Canada always departs from D1 but it is at least a 15 minute walk from the Onyx Lounge to the D gates. Then once you arrived there it was mayhem since most passengers were connecting and agents needed to verify the necessary documentation to adhere to the Government of Canada's policies to travel to Canada. There weren't any lines for those of us who originated in Doha, as the documentation was already verified at check-in, so we wouldn't require another check. There also wasn't a line for business class passengers, so that wait took at least 25 minutes - remember my final call by the Onyx demons. It was quite the experience.

Of note, don't travel to Doha with alcohol and all connecting passengers must retrieve their luggage in Toronto and go through security again.
yes I agree with you it is a bit chaotic at the Gate. I asked at the Gate if there was anyone sitting next to me on PE as I had kept looking at the seat plan online and found there was none. But at the Gate they told me the flight was full. So after going thru I asked another staff if I could get an upgrade as I was *G. He went somewhere and came back and said that there is one pax to check in at Business and if he did not then I would be UG. Nothing happened after they announced the boarding so I went back to the Gate and inquired and they told me they only UG when the flight is full and that PE is fully open and also Y had seats available. When I boarded I found it was the same as I had seen on the seat map and all the seats I saw empty in PE were empty.
Yes, there was no separate queue for business class nor for any star alliance members. I was also told that AC always used D gates.
qrctraveller likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
What is the strategy for handling frequent flyer numbers on these flights?

I have a 014 ticket with both AC and QR flights. Is there any way to leave my AC FFN on the AC flights and add my OWE FFN for the QR flights?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Quail
What is the strategy for handling frequent flyer numbers on these flights?

I have a 014 ticket with both AC and QR flights. Is there any way to leave my AC FFN on the AC flights and add my OWE FFN for the QR flights?
While the FFN can be added on the PNR per carrier, I would just deal with it at the check-in / lounge / gate for your QR flights and provide the details there. Make sure that your boarding pass clearly indicates your OW details.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Two comments there.

First, it's definitely possible. It's especially easy when the airlines use separate systems, as updating on one, even through the airline website, doesn't tend to update the other. For example, Amadeus and SHARES, as I did a couple days ago for a booking with EY and UA.

Second, be very careful if everyone's on 1A and these are connections (not stopovers). I have, with multiple airlines, running multiple systems, changed my FQTV after flying, and the flight posted to the updated account.

It's likely not too much of an issue across alliances (since it wouldn't post, and you could retro-credit), but if you were connecting AC to LH, and you changed your number from AC to LH at the connection point, it's possible the AC flight would end up crediting to LH.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR
I've noticed that Qatar Airways have been included on some segments with cash fares to and from the middle east. I thought Qatar is a One World partner.
My question is; will I still get SQD and SQM for Qatar operated flight segments?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:58 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bennyg2
My question is; will I still get SQD and SQM for Qatar operated flight segments?
No, you'll earn nothing; QR is not a partner for Aeroplan or status earning. You can credit the QR flights to a oneworld program.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR
Thank you, I didn't see this thread. This is interesting.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I thought that AC codeshared flights on non Star Alliance planes can still earn Aeroplan credit- if not status qualifying credit.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I thought that AC codeshared flights on non Star Alliance planes can still earn Aeroplan credit- if not status qualifying credit.
Every airline has their own agreement with AC/AE, it’ll vary between airlines.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
With Aeroplan, earning is ALWAYS based on the OPERATING carrier. On some airlines, you have to book an AC codeshare to earn anything, but it's still always based on the accumulation parameters for the operating airline, not for AC metal.

The QR deal is one of the few (only?) codeshare deals AC has that has zero accumulation, but that's the way it is.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:21 am

I am looking at booking a flight on QR website - one way - originating in CAI - DOH - YUL - YWG

I would be using my AA membership (One World) to put the points to but what about the leg from YUL - YWG on AC. Do I get any points for that and//or can I somehow get my Aeroplan number on that flight or is it simply a no go?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.