TATL routes in 2021

Old Oct 20, 20, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

TATL routes in 2021

Anyone here want to make a guess, educated or uneducated, on when it will be known if AC will be operating currently bookable routes next Spring? The one I'm interested in is YYZ-VIE in April. All sage thoughts are much appreciated.
Old Oct 20, 20, 1:13 pm

A route like YYZ-VIE, a couple weeks ahead of time. Maybe.

The sooner we reduce quarantine times, the longer the lead time will be.
In the mean time, pressure your MP's to get some rapid testing in operation.
Old Oct 20, 20, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Anyone here want to make a guess, educated or uneducated, on when it will be known if AC will be operating currently bookable routes next Spring? The one I'm interested in is YYZ-VIE in April. All sage thoughts are much appreciated.
I'll go with "probably?".

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 20, 20 at 2:01 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Oct 20, 20, 5:19 pm

I do not expect that the outlook for international travel will change significantly between now and next spring, so I wouldn't count on any flight operating next spring that is not operating right now. YYZ-VIE is not operating right now. AC won't refund tickets for cancelled flights (credit voucher only), so if you buy a ticket today then the most likely outcome is you will be providing AC an interest-free loan until you can find a way to use your credit voucher.
Old Oct 20, 20, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain View Post
I do not expect that the outlook for international travel will change significantly between now and next spring, so I wouldn't count on any flight operating next spring that is not operating right now. YYZ-VIE is not operating right now. AC won't refund tickets for cancelled flights (credit voucher only), so if you buy a ticket today then the most likely outcome is you will be providing AC an interest-free loan until you can find a way to use your credit voucher.
Thanks for the insight as it gives me a good picture. I'm actually at zero risk as it's a UA award routing.
Old Oct 21, 20, 7:36 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am booked VIE-YYZ in late August so I am really hoping that it is operating as it is part of a complex itinerary... but I am concerned as well given that it is currently not operating. AC/Austrian were running a nice promo on J fares last month so hard to resist...
Old Oct 21, 20, 7:59 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I also agree the outlook for international travel will not change much over the next 6 months, and more likely the next year. The reality is that long-haul business travel probably won't return to anything approaching previous volumes for another 2 - 3 years at the earliest, with long-haul leisure travel somewhere around the same timeframe. Remember, we on FT are an anomaly ... the vast majority have absolutely zero interest in going anywhere, and that's not going to change any time soon.
Old Oct 21, 20, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Quarantine needs to be replaced with testing on arrival, then maybe Canadians will go somewhere.....

How many people are going to be buying AC tickets even if that happens until there is certainty flights will go/borders will open? Who by now doesnt know that AC steals money from cancelled flights? People trying to use up their credits maybe will still buy AC tickets?
Old Oct 21, 20, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Quarantine needs to be replaced with testing on arrival, then maybe Canadians will go somewhere.....
Or better yet testing before you depart. Who wants to arrive at a destination only to find out you have COVID, need to go into quarantine, can't go home until you have recovered and if you get really sick you have no medical coverage.
rankourabu and YYC009 like this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
Or better yet testing before you depart. Who wants to arrive at a destination only to find out you have COVID, need to go into quarantine, can't go home until you have recovered and if you get really sick you have no medical coverage.
Testing before departure is not a silver bullet either as evidenced by the slew of new cases surfacing in New Zealand.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Test before boarding, during the flight and after you land .... as long as you are good two out of three you are golden!

Rapid test would be great as I would fly to the warmer parts of the world. Europe just blocked us Canadians, so dust off your EU passports, lol
Old Oct 21, 20, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
As of today (21 October 2020) the EU has removed Canada from the list of approved countries. What exactly this means - I'm honestly not sure. I suspect though that we'll just have to serve our 14d on arrival like pretty much anyone from anywhere else. I do not think this will change for several months. In March / April we went through a big curve and it wasn't until the summer when things got better. This second wave is bigger than the first, so project forward and we're looking at minimum January / February when things might be better, but clearly this depends on a lot of factors.

So yes, by spring 2021 we might be on the good side of the EU again and hopefully we'll be able to enter freely. So I think it's entirely possible that YYZ - VIE will be operating at least once or twice a week in April 2021.
Old Oct 21, 20, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
So yes, by spring 2021 we might be on the good side of the EU again and hopefully we'll be able to enter freely. So I think it's entirely possible that YYZ - VIE will be operating at least once or twice a week in April 2021.
I'm not as optimistic. We are heading into winter and people are in closer contact then. Winter is always when colds and flu increase, I can't see any reason why covid would't increase as well. April is still early spring and covid numbers might be high in both Europe and Canada.

I suspect many leisure travellers will stay home and I can't see a secondary route like VIE being feasible that early in the season. My best guess is a flight to FRA will operate and take a train from there.
Old Oct 21, 20, 4:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
I'm not as optimistic. We are heading into winter and people are in closer contact then. Winter is always when colds and flu increase, I can't see any reason why covid would't increase as well. April is still early spring and covid numbers might be high in both Europe and Canada.

I suspect many leisure travellers will stay home and I can't see a secondary route like VIE being feasible that early in the season. My best guess is a flight to FRA will operate and take a train from there.
Vienna is largely about connectivity, and a hopefully sooner rather than later return hinges on what's happening over at Austrian Airlines.
Old Oct 22, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
As of today (21 October 2020) the EU has removed Canada from the list of approved countries. What exactly this means - I'm honestly not sure.
What it means for me is that a work trip to Germany next month just got canned. Sigh.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: