Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Brampton woman arrested after allegedly posing as AC employee in airline ticket scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brampton woman arrested after allegedly posing as AC employee in airline ticket scam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

Caveat emptor.

https://www.cp24.com/news/brampton-w...scam-1.5148863

A 41-year-old Brampton woman has been arrested after she allegedly defrauded victims of more than $35,000 in an airline ticket scam.

Peel police said the woman claimed that she was an Air Canada employee and offered cheap airline tickets on Kijiji between 2018 and 2019.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Why would anyone buy an airline ticket off someone on Kijiji? Seems very high risk, and how would this person issue a ticket?

I could see it in the old days when airlines didn't ask for ID upon boarding. I can remember lots of ads on bulletin boards (real ones with paper notes and tacks to hold them up) at the University for tickets, you just had to match the gender of the name on the ticket. Certainly can't do that anymore.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Why would anyone use kijjiji to get defrauded?

These days you can use the AC website or call the AC phone line, book a ticket, have them cancel flying the route, and AC won't give back the money.

Is the difference vast? Will AC or their agents get arrested? No...
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:17 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Why would anyone buy an airline ticket off someone on Kijiji? Seems very high risk, and how would this person issue a ticket?
For the same reason that some people will buy the cheapest fares possible and then take issue when things got to ... well, you know.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold

I could see it in the old days when airlines didn't ask for ID upon boarding. I can remember lots of ads on bulletin boards (real ones with paper notes and tacks to hold them up) at the University for tickets, you just had to match the gender of the name on the ticket. Certainly can't do that anymore.
I fully agree with you, I wonder sometimes though if it's just old people, or perhaps people of different ethnic backgrounds who may not understand the language as well or see it as a scam. Personally I would never buy an airline ticket off a message board at all, but I know in other countries buying stuff off Instagram, Message boards and other informal in-person methods is pretty normal.

Lastly...maybe it's just ME, but there's something about the way Kijiji looks like when written, I don't trust it at all, never have and as such I've really never used it, went on and browsed like 1-2 that's it.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Why would anyone buy an airline ticket off someone on Kijiji? Seems very high risk, and how would this person issue a ticket?.
I don’t know exactly what this person was advertising, but I assume she was able to convince people that she is actually an AC agent and that she has a no-risk way of getting them tickets at a heavily discounted price.... ie an employee rate or something similar. It wouldn’t surprise me if she would tell people that she has been authorized by AC to sell cheap fares on the side to fill seats.

As always, if something seems too good to be real then there is a good chance it’s a scam.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:57 am
Suspended

i see airlines lessening the ID restrictions to attract more people.. this could be a great idea if there was a secondary market to buy and resell tickets like the one you mentioned at the university. I see no reason why airlines can't offer that again and it will save a lot of money and time for many of us if we can buy tickets, I know my self and several others who attempted to buy tickets before on Craigslist.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by YVRELITE
i see airlines lessening the ID restrictions to attract more people.. this could be a great idea if there was a secondary market to buy and resell tickets like the one you mentioned at the university. I see no reason why airlines can't offer that again and it will save a lot of money and time for many of us if we can buy tickets, I know my self and several others who attempted to buy tickets before on Craigslist.
The ID requirement is a government requirement I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.