Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC CEO Calin Rovinescu to Retire February 2021; to be succeeded by Michael Rousseau

AC CEO Calin Rovinescu to Retire February 2021; to be succeeded by Michael Rousseau

Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Frankly I'm surprised he's waiting that long, I wonder if there's a specific reason. This whole industry is a dumpster fire right now and even the top jobs would kinda suck. If I was his age and having made all that money, I'd be getting out ASAP as well.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Clever. Not sure if that was intended; well done if so.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive - a possibility most large companies have not yet grasped.

AC may have performed well for shareholders and it may have been positive for employees, but for so many customers, it holds a special status as a perennially miserable entity.
Don't misunderstand, I do agree with you, but CEOs that combine both are few and far between. The world just runs on new standards, and I was trying to be a realist.
I have been in public sector engagement dealing with multinationals for over 25 years.
When my professional life began, the handshake from the regional/ national rep that you had a relationship with meant you would be taken care of. You knew them by name, and had their private number on a card in your wallet or your desk if there was a problem. They took care of you.
If something big went seriously wrong with the product, there were on site in no time to talk about how to make it right.
These days, the "customer care rep" is someone you never met, and you are lucky to see companies meet 95% of the the conditions in a written contract; even uptime guarantees become a point of debate.
Upfront costs and expedience are the new priorities, and corporate doesn't care about the last 5-10% that usually impact the end users. I learned a while ago that the new normal seems to be "if we meet 90% of our contractual commitment, that's good enough, OK, 95% if you really kick up a stink about it." You can try the competition, but they work with the same rules.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada's Rovinescu joins Scotiabank board weeks after announcing retirement

TORONTO -- Bank of Nova Scotia says outgoing Air Canada chief executive Calin Rovinescu has joined its board.

The Toronto bank's announcement comes just after Rovinescu announced he will retire from the airline in February as it struggles to rebuild the travel sector amid COVID-19.

Rovinescu has served as the airline's president and chief executive since April 2009, but also led the company's restructuring in 2003 and 2004.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:13 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Darn. I was hoping for Adam Smith . There goes my our freebies.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:45 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Darn. I was hoping for Adam Smith . There goes my our freebies.
Sorry to disappoint you. I would have liked that too, but they never even called me
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:28 am

A Look Back At The Legacy Of Calin Rovinescu – Air Canada’s CEO

5 min read....
A Look Back At The Legacy Of Calin Rovinescu – Air Canada's CEO - Simple Flying
tcook052 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
​​​​​​​Incoming Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau... (article Feb 11, 2021)

Bloomberg News - Feb 11, 2021 • 12 minutes ago

Incoming Air Canada CEO faces empty airports, a frosty Trudeau and big shoes to fill

Michael Rousseau, who starts Monday, will have to balance cash-preservation with ability to meet rising demand once restrictions relax

https://montrealgazette.com/transpor...f-6ad07cee6169
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Meet the new boss ... same as the old boss?

I won't miss Calin one bit.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre

same. Calin is such a cold blooded greedy reptile IMHO
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
same. Calin is such a cold blooded greedy reptile IMHO
You can listen to his live quarterly analyst call one last time going on right now
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mileageking

You can listen to his live quarterly analyst call one last time going on right now
Will I be able to directly ask him a question ?
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Will I be able to directly ask him a question ?
Lol, maybe not unless you are with one of the banks.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I miss Calin already! He was one of the best AC CEOs in history (IMO). Though I can't say I am glad he introduced Rouge...
Codyul likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by codfather
I miss Calin already! He was one of the best AC CEOs in history (IMO). Though I can't say I am glad he introduced Rouge...
Agreed. Going to have to update my pic with the CEO. I'm now going to have to track down Michael R. in a MLL to take a photo with him in front of a model plane.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.