Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Call Center (Piecing Together Bookings)

Old Oct 11, 20, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP IHG Spire Jet Blue Mosaic Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond

I have had zero luck getting an agent who will help me put together a booking. I found an itinerary which I regrettably didn't book. It now won't show on one way search. But, each of the individual pieces are still there. Each agent I call, is terribly unhelpful... one being even sarcastic. Basically, they said all they can do is the same thing I can do.. put in an origin and destination and see what comes up. Is that true? or should I keep trying for a better agent? I don't have much experience with Aeroplan. Every other airline I have worked with usually will piece together itineraries. Thanks!

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 6, 20 at 6:23 pm
Old Oct 11, 20, 8:16 am

Call on a weekday in the afternoon. I have had better luck with the afternoon shift agents than morning or weekend. One of them in particular is just awesome and has helped me do multiple complex bookings and changes over the last few months.
Old Oct 11, 20, 9:15 am

Programs: Altitude, World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
Call on a weekday in the afternoon. I have had better luck with the afternoon shift agents than morning or weekend. One of them in particular is just awesome and has helped me do multiple complex bookings and changes over the last few months.
Not that my one call sample size is sufficient but I had a tremendously helpful and polite agent when calling around 5pm EST during a weekday a few weeks back.
reggiekush likes this.
Old Oct 11, 20, 9:30 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SweFlyer View Post
Not that my one call sample size is sufficient but I had a tremendously helpful and polite agent when calling around 5pm EST during a weekday a few weeks back.
I tend to call around 10pm EST (I have had about a dozen calls in the last month or two) I have gotten THE best Japanese agent who was very helpful. I am the odd one out but I have never been denied a piece by piece booking. Sometimes the weird routing I want shows up when selecting 5+ pax on AP search but not for 1 person. I start off with that and it seems to go well. Not sure if anyone has that the routing thing happen but its a pain when you don't need 5+ pax just a solo.
Old Oct 11, 20, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP IHG Spire Jet Blue Mosaic Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Thank you all. I called back and third time was the charm! I usually try HUCA, but the first two agents were so insistent that ONLY the website could be booked, that I wondered if this was hardcoded.
reggiekush and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Oct 11, 20, 5:37 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
You guys are brave. Dealing with an Aeroplan/Air Canada award reservation is russian roulette even during the best of times, during covid I wouldn't dare. Hopefully their new res system comes out soon!
Old Oct 11, 20, 5:43 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC Tangerine
Had no problem with them doing it segment by segment to get J all the way on a flight YYZ to AMS via FRA (website was showing FRA-AMS in Y if you typed in YYZ-AMS, J if you typed in FRA-AMS). Early afternoon EDT a couple days ago after the last schedule change drop. Picked up on the first ring, even!
Old Oct 14, 20, 9:47 am

I recently did two o/w 3 segment itineraries in J. First one completed without issue by a very helpful agent. Call was early Saturday evening EST.

The second Itinerary the agent was having nothing to do with it. I HUCA about 15 minutes later. Unfortunately I got the same agent. After telling her the itinerary, she basically said to me “I told you it can’t be done” and disconnected the call. This was also early Saturday evening EST, a month after the first itinerary. I waited to early Sunday morning and got a very helpful agent who completed the booking in less than 15 minutes.

Both these I suspect were married-segment logic that could not be booked online.
Old Oct 14, 20, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC E50K/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium E/Accor-FPC Gold/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by I'llMissCP View Post
The second Itinerary the agent was having nothing to do with it....
After telling her the itinerary, she basically said to me “I told you it can’t be done” and disconnected the call. This was also early Saturday evening EST, a month after the first itinerary. I waited to early Sunday morning and got a very helpful agent who completed the booking in less than 15 minutes.
I had to call in last week to cancel a partially-used award ticket and the first agent was difficult from the start, with every response 'this can be done online', which is false. I 'lost the signal' and called back right away, but this time the agent was great. It took about 20 mins to get finished up with the extra steps needed at her end, but all good.

I wish the new Aeroplan could simply let those awful ones go.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Oct 23, 20, 6:55 pm

Ugh. Just tried to make a booking and got an agent that insists he can only book what's shown on the website.

I guess it's HUCA time...
Old Nov 1, 20, 2:06 pm

Just booked a complex itinerary at third asking.

First agent did his best, but he couldn't get the machine to co-operate. The second would only offer what the machine offered.

The third took the trip, flight-by-flight, including flight numbers, and it worked.

He did mention a problem with one flight to which he said "let me see if I can force this", whatever that might mean, and apparently he could.

All three calls were fine, they did their best to help, it just takes a bit of patience to find the right agent.
Old Nov 1, 20, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by PointWeasel View Post
I had to call in last week to cancel a partially-used award ticket and the first agent was difficult from the start, with every response 'this can be done online', which is false. I 'lost the signal' and called back right away, but this time the agent was great. It took about 20 mins to get finished up with the extra steps needed at her end, but all good.

I wish the new Aeroplan could simply let those awful ones go.
How do you make it look like you lost the signal? Do you hang up in the middle of saying something?
Old Nov 1, 20, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by pentiumvi View Post
Ugh. Just tried to make a booking and got an agent that insists he can only book what's shown on the website.

I guess it's HUCA time...
Are agents now all working from home or are they in a call center. One would expect if they are in a call center (with social distancing obviously) that they can collaborate and learn from each other. If they are all working from home this is progressively going to get more inconsistent.
Old Nov 1, 20, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Are the recent trips booked under the "old" MPM i.e. before Amadeus upgrade?
Old Nov 1, 20, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Are agents now all working from home or are they in a call center. One would expect if they are in a call center (with social distancing obviously) that they can collaborate and learn from each other. If they are all working from home this is progressively going to get more inconsistent.
I called on Saturday to add a segment - the agent (who helped with exactly what I needed) was clearly working from home. That being said, he audibly had cold symptoms, so I'm not sure if it was just him, or if they are all working from home again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: