Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YVR to Europe Aeroplan J award input

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond

Hey guys, I'm looking to go to Europe next month, and was wondering what airlines you guys would recommend (preferably ones with close to full service). I have a ton of unused aeroplan miles so I was planning on taking the long way to Spain (family matters). I know that the Asian airlines are back to somewhat normal in J/F, and I will definitely be avoiding NA based airlines for that reason. Any insight is very much appreciated, and I am currently based in YVR but I can leave from anywhere in NA (I have Canadian/American/EU citizenship).
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:50 am

Since you are in YVR and have an EU passport, recommend flying YVR-SFO-ZRH-XXX. LX is full service and no scamcharges. If the AP engine doesn't present this as an option automatically, search the YVR-SFO segment separately from SFO-EU to make sure they are both available. Book the SFO-EU online then call in to add the YVR segment.
canadiancow and The Lev like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: Altitude E35K, Aeroplan, SPG Rewards
Smile Long Way to Europe via Asia

Dear Flyer:

You can start by flying to Taiwan with EVA Air from Los Angeles. AC flies to Los Angeles. If you can, take EVA Air direct from Vancouver. This airline has an excellent business class. You will have to find another airline to get you to Beijing. From Beijing, you will likely be taking Lufthansa to get you to Europe, say Frankfurt. Lufthansa or Swiss will likely get you to Spain. Flying home to North America, stick with Lufthansa or Swiss. Remember, Lufthansa can get you home to YVR from Munich. Depending on your dates of travel, you may not be able to avoid Air Canada or United. You are likely redeeming for a Round the World trip. Good luck in finding your preferred dates and flights.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’d try to avoid the USA for a while for a number of reasons incl COVID and the election....
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:35 am

To go the long way as a mRTW from YVR would require a destination somewhere around SIN or BKK, and even then it would be tight getting back MPM-wise through Spain..

Male or Sri Lanka would do it, as would South Africa.

You could make it two separate trips and avoid the MPM issue, if you have the points to spare.

But then there are the questions of covid-restrictions, and finding available flights.

It would definitely take some figuring out.

I think YYCCL3's proposal might be the better approach at the moment.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
As much as I enjoy flying, I'm not sure this is the appropiate time to take circulous routings / include unneccessary connections in the US / etc.

My two suggestions would be:

1) LH YVR-FRA-MAD

LH's service is (almost) as usual (though paying fuel surcharges on LH is a downside).

2) AC YVR-YUL (widebody); LX YUL-ZRH-MAD

LX's service is (almost) as usual (also no fuel surcharges on LX).
The Lev and zappy312 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:15 pm
Suspended

i just booked YYJ-YVR-IST-ZRH with the last two legs in business on TK. fees were just over $60 one-way. booking is for next summer.
i've never flown TK but their business class product, both hard and soft, look nice and the lounge in IST looks interesting.
AC has a direct YVR-ZRH flight but the schedule is brutal; leaving YVR at 13:00 and arriving around 22:00 YVR time/07:00 CET. I would have the near impossibility of sleeping on that flight even with the assistance of drugs and not being able to check into the hotel that early would be absolute torture. then i would be messed up for days. granted, the TK flight is much longer but it should be fun and jet-lag should be minimal.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Since you are in YVR and have an EU passport, recommend flying YVR-SFO-ZRH-XXX. LX is full service and no scamcharges. If the AP engine doesn't present this as an option automatically, search the YVR-SFO segment separately from SFO-EU to make sure they are both available. Book the SFO-EU online then call in to add the YVR segment.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd probably route through YUL if it came to it, since it's probably best to avoid going to America if possible. I haven't used the aeroplan portal to book a flight since the rule changes, so thanks for telling me how to add the additional segment!
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Worth noting that any connection through the United States - no matter how long - will currently render you ineligible to enter Spain unless you travel on your EU passport.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by BenSenise
i just booked YYJ-YVR-IST-ZRH with the last two legs in business on TK. fees were just over $60 one-way. booking is for next summer.
i've never flown TK but their business class product, both hard and soft, look nice and the lounge in IST looks interesting.
AC has a direct YVR-ZRH flight but the schedule is brutal; leaving YVR at 13:00 and arriving around 22:00 YVR time/07:00 CET. I would have the near impossibility of sleeping on that flight even with the assistance of drugs and not being able to check into the hotel that early would be absolute torture. then i would be messed up for days. granted, the TK flight is much longer but it should be fun and jet-lag should be minimal.
My alternate solution for those situations is to book the airport hotel directly and request a ridiculously early check-in. I have batted around 50% on those and it might be easier with current occupancy rates. Option 2 is to book 2 nights and make sure they know you will be a (very) late arrival. Bonus is that you often walk in, grab the comp breakfast and then go to bed, waking up whenever the hell you feel like it. Seems a bit to pay for a room just for a morning, but in the end it is a night's sleep as far as you are concerned, and most of us wouldn't bat an eyelid at the same cost if it was an upcharge for a lie flat on a red eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.