Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Transfer overnight at YVR — US citizen

Question: Transfer overnight at YVR — US citizen

Old Sep 19, 20, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Transfer overnight at YVR — US citizen

We are US citizens. We just booked an international trip to Asia via Air Canada to see my seriously illed father-in-law. We will transfer via Vancouver. The outbound flight is ok. But the inbound flight in January might have a stop overnight in YVR due to the flight cut between YVR and SFO. Air Canada only has 1 daily flight between YVR and SFO in Sep. and Oct. So if this happens in January, will we be allowed to enter Canada and stay in a hotel room next to the airport? We have 5 and 7 year old kids. It is not suitable for us to stay at the airport overnight.

thanks.
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
This is a horrible idea. Air Canada is unreliable. As you see, they dont cancel flights until less than a month out. Even assuming the borders are open and thats not an issue (you couldnt stay overnight in the current situation), as you see the schedule is such that they are selling flights they probably wont operate, and on top of that - Air Canada does not refund cancelled flights. So lets say this goes on until January - you will not only not be permitted to stay overnight, but you will not get your money back due to the schedule change.

Spend a bit more money now and book with a reliable airline.
dr_torch and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:47 pm

Why not book one way and then closer to a Jan figure out the best way to get home? Probably less risky that way...

I did read somewhere that people were being allowed to (not leave the airport) stay overnight at the Fairmont attached to airport but unsure if that was foreign nationals...? passports taken away. I wouldn’t rely on this though as can’t find my source anymore.

As well I would be worried about not being allowed to board in Asia heading to YVR due to not being Canadian citizens and needing to enter Canada overnight...

Last edited by bakersdozen; Sep 19, 20 at 1:13 pm
Old Sep 19, 20, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In general, it's complicated and risky to fly through additional countries now. Unless there's no alternative routing, this is a bad idea because entry restrictions and other requirements (documentation, insurance, testing) can change quickly, flights can be cancelled or rescheduled, and many countries don't necessarily make a distinction/exception for transiting passengers. In addition, the rules have become so complex that one cannot rely on airline/airport agents interpreting them correctly.
Old Sep 19, 20, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bakersdozen View Post
Why not book one way and then closer to a Jan figure out the best way to get home? Probably less risky that way...
int'l transpacific ticket.

usually i'd disagree with you (one ways are much more than 2x the price of roundtrip), but I do see decent prices for one ways (airlines hurting for money? $500 oneway vs $700 roundtrip?)

a couple of airlines (UA,AA, ...) have change-fee-waivers (read the fine print though: you may still have to pay for fare differences)

given the current state and how AC has been treating refunds/schedule changes, find another routing, try to avoid additional countries/transit as the other people above me suggested
Old Sep 19, 20, 4:51 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I think it is going to be difficult to predict what is going to occur in January 2021 with demand for air travel.

What we can say today, is that AC seems to adjust their schedules quite frequently, including up to a week or two before travel. This may present you with some options. They may be favourable but most likely they will involve a longer layover given the lessened frequency of flights from Canada to and from the US. Assuming the border re-opens, or those entering Canada do not need to re-quarantine, this may change the demand.

I think their would be a major price difference with booking two one way tickets. I am going to guess the OP is price sensitive as a result of taking the (likely) cheaper Air Canada route by transiting through Canada.

I think my advice would be to be flexible and be prepared, at the worst, to enjoy a night or layover on a bench for the time spent at Vancouver International.
Old Sep 19, 20, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post

I think my advice would be to be flexible and be prepared, at the worst, to enjoy a night or layover on a bench for the time spent at Vancouver International.
Your advice is to sleep on an airport bench flying with a 5 and 7 yr old?
😲
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 19, 20, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies. I am aware of Air Canada's unwillingness to refund. But considering the price I paid for the ticket, the round trip ticket is just 200 hundred dollars more than one way. And I did call Air Canada call center before I booked the ticket. I was told that I can cancel the return trip after I finish the outbound trip free of charge. They will not refund me, but will issue a travel voucher which will never expire and is transferrable. I think I am OK with it, as long as Air Canada does not go bankrupcy. The price with UA and DL is unbelievable high. One passenger ticket is more expensive than 4 of us on Air Canada.

I do plan to book another one way ticket with another carrier back to the U.S. if Canada does not open border in January and I will have to stay at the YVR airport overnight. That's my plan B. Well, it will definitely cost more. But I can't have my little ones stay at the airport overnight.

Last edited by bfhu; Sep 19, 20 at 5:58 pm
Old Sep 19, 20, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Your advice is to sleep on an airport bench flying with a 5 and 7 yr old?
😲
Don't underestimate kids resilience. Plus, they will likely sleep better than the adults. For a couple of thousands bucks I might take the chance...
Old Sep 19, 20, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bakersdozen View Post

I did read somewhere that people were being allowed to (not leave the airport) stay overnight at the Fairmont attached to airport but unsure if that was foreign nationals...? passports taken away. I wouldn’t rely on this though as can’t find my source anymore.

As well I would be worried about not being allowed to board in Asia heading to YVR due to not being Canadian citizens and needing to enter Canada overnight...
I did see the Fairmont hotel info on YVR's website. Can you let me know where you saw this information about staying at this hotel? Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 20, 6:40 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Kids can sleep anywhere.

And kids in Cuba? Give them a beer at 1am on the bus shuttle and they are awesome. LOL
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 20, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

I just called the Fairmont hotel front desk, and was told that currently, there are U.S. citizens that stay overnight at this hotel to catch their connecting flight. I will try to call Canadian Border Control for confirmation.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:14 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Where can one find information that US citizens can board a flight to Canada for even the same day transit at a Canadian airport (YUL, YYZ, YVR,..)?

I am booking a flight to Asia, and do find price advantage on AC but worried about a third country transit (At the US airport to board for Canada, then at the Canadian airport boarding for Asia).

Originally Posted by bfhu View Post
I just called the Fairmont hotel front desk, and was told that currently, there are U.S. citizens that stay overnight at this hotel to catch their connecting flight. I will try to call Canadian Border Control for confirmation.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Sorry to hear about your ill Father-in-law. It can't be easy being so far away, especially in times like this.

It's fair to say that the rules around transit are not entirely clear. Strictly speaking, under the emergency measures in place because of Covid (which have recently been extended to 21 October 2020), US citizens may not enter Canada "for optional and discretionary purposes". It's likely that transit is "discretionary" since you have the option of taking a different routing that does not involve flying through Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...trictions.html

We've recently had a case where a US citizen was granted a waiver to enter Canada for a business meeting. She flew here on a private jet then flew out a day or so later and did not have to quarantine. This incident has gone political so the result is that future travel will likely be more closely scrutinized.

That said, AC (who clearly has a conflict of interest ...) states on their website that "Transit through Canada to another country from any location is permitted". I'd take that with a pinch of salt even though it's possibly true.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...uirements.html

For a more official perspective, I would refer to the bottom of this page - https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/t.../index-en.aspx - where you can find contacts in CBSA who may be able to direct you to a proper response. (Please post back here if you get a real answer!)

In general, Canada is maintaining a fairly strict stance against travel into the country and even within the country. All of this will eventually change but at the moment, it's hard to see change happening any time soon. My personal perspective is that we will not see a relaxing of travel rules in Canada before Spring 2021.
Old Sep 19, 20, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
Maybe the OP can find a substitute Can-US flight that don’t require overnighting and buy another one-way US domestic home.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: