Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Transfer overnight at YVR — US citizen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Transfer overnight at YVR — US citizen

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And only part of the risk is CBSA.

If staff at the gate in your origin city don't let you on the flight, the CBSA call center's opinion is irrelevant. Same with AC's call centre.

You really want to avoid the overnight.

As a data point, I was almost denied boarding on HKG-SFO earlier this year with a Canadian passport. The only reason they let me on was that I could produce a green card. Canadian citizens do not need anything other than a passport to enter the US, but the gate staff did not know this and didn't care to look it up.

Rules and policies do not matter. Don't make this difficult for yourself.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And only part of the risk is CBSA.

If staff at the gate in your origin city don't let you on the flight, the CBSA call center's opinion is irrelevant. Same with AC's call centre.

Rules and policies do not matter. Don't make this difficult for yourself.
Further to this, Air Canada's published policy is that International-International or International-US transit passengers must remain airside at all times:

• Passengers are allowed to transit from international-to-international terminals at their arrival airport in Canada;
  • Passengers must arrive and depart from the same airport within a reasonable timeframe (i.e. 24 hours);
  • Passengers must remain in the secure area/airside, meaning leaving the airport is not permitted.
  • Transiting passengers are not permitted to connect domestically to another Canadian airport prior to departing Canada (e.g. CUN-YYZ-YVR-NRT) is not permitted);
  • For clarity, passengers who are considered in transit are those that do not have to clear Customs (CBSA) and formally enter Canada in order to pick up their baggage to travel on a subsequent flight.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...uirements.html

As Cow correctly notes, if an Air Canada employee reading this policy decides to deny you boarding, "but a CBSA person told me on the phone it was okay" will be worthless.
wrp96, canadiancow and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:20 am

Okay yeah with that policy, just don't do it.

You would need an AC employee (or more likely contractor) to violate AC policy in order for this to work. It's not happening. Find a way to get into the US on your arrival day.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:59 am

Okay yeah with that policy, just don't do it.

You would need an AC employee (or more likely contractor) to violate AC policy in order for this to work. It's not happening. Find a way to get into the US on your arrival day.
...or, get used to the idea of sleeping on the floor of the terminal for your overnight layover.

Cow, to be fair, they wouldn't be trying to violate this policy until they'd arrived at YVR, so at the very least it would likely be an AC employee rather than an overseas contractor, but all that does is raise your odds that they'll know the rules from 9% to 19%.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
...or, get used to the idea of sleeping on the floor of the terminal for your overnight layover.

Cow, to be fair, they wouldn't be trying to violate this policy until they'd arrived at YVR, so at the very least it would likely be an AC employee rather than an overseas contractor, but all that does is raise your odds that they'll know the rules from 9% to 19%.
Not if they can't check in because they're not a Canadian citizen and have no way of staying airside (transborder certainly won't let you stay overnight).
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Nice they make that possible now to stay airside overnight (I didn't know they could do that, and I'd be surprised it would work for transborder), but presumably that means keeping your mask on all night why you try to sleep, since you're just sitting on a bench in the open terminal? That doesn't sound like an enjoyable overnight experience. I'd still try to change flights.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:11 am

No, AFAIK the sleeping-overnight thing only works when transiting from a US-->CAN flight to a CAN-->International.

...then again, if you were scheduled on a legal connection, and your international --> CAN flight was delayed to the point that you missed your connection to the US, they'd have to figure something out.

For YVR, at least currently, the LAX/SFO/PHX/PDX/SEA flights are all scheduled to depart about 2 hours after AC's TPACs get in, which suggests they've thought about how to minimize these occurrences.

Last edited by YOWgary; Sep 24, 2020 at 7:16 am
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:44 am
Original Poster

No, AFAIK the sleeping-overnight thing only works when transiting from a US-->CAN flight to a CAN-->International.

...then again, if you were scheduled on a legal connection, and your international --> CAN flight was delayed to the point that you missed your connection to the US, they'd have to figure something out.

For YVR, at least currently, the LAX/SFO/PHX/PDX/SEA flights are all scheduled to depart about 2 hours after AC's TPACs get in, which suggests they've thought about how to minimize these occurrences.
Not for this route:

Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:59 am

AC26 is unusual in a number of ways, yes.

Keep in mind that AC does not have to confirm your eligibility to fly an itinerary to *sell* this ticket, but they will check before they let you fly it, and by all *published* rules - in other words, anything an airport agent will be able to refer to - this is an illegal connection unless you're a Canadian citizen or PR, or hold a visa of a type that makes you currently admissible.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
It doesn't need to be AC, and it doesn't need to be "evening". Just 60 minutes after arrival time (and I don't believe we have that information).

I'm sure with the date and origin, someone could suggest something.
It looks like it does have to be in the evening (past 7:30pm) - which reduces options to zero (AC or non-AC). Fully agree with you and the fact that the contract agent wont break AC policy, even if it contradicts CBSA

Hopefully the overnight works out for the OP, either with rules changing, or AC not cancelling the flight....

What sucks is that when AC does cancel the flight, the OP is stuck with unrefundable tickets for four, if the family is unable to fly this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu

What sucks is that when AC does cancel the flight, the OP is stuck with unrefundable tickets for four, if the family is unable to fly this.
However in that case AC is under the obligation to accommodate, on another airline if necessary. Of course they might offer a refund but the passenger is not obliged to accept. And surely there are options on airlines flying directly the US.

Admittedly getting AC to do that may be like pulling teeth, but with sufficient insistence they will end up doing it.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:14 pm

There is an ICN-SFO that would work well if AC will rebook on UA.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:36 pm

I've written to AC and YVR for clarity on this, i'm working on a series that'll hopefully better explain it.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Admittedly getting AC to do that may be like pulling teeth, but with sufficient insistence they will end up doing it.
A huge win for the OP if his family doesnt have to suffer AC Y.... but will they actually rebook on a different airline?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

There is an ICN-SFO that would work well if AC will rebook on UA.
I was hoping that too. More than 10 years ago, I was on AC flight. But my SFO to YVR flight had a mechnical problem and was delayed for 1.5 hours, which means that I will miss my transpacific flight departing at YVR. So I talked to the cabin crew and asked to be put on UA nonstop flight. And AC let me do that and rebooked me to the UA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.