Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Transfer overnight at YVR — US citizen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Transfer overnight at YVR — US citizen

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA
Raise your hand if your parents wouldn't have given a second thought to having Jr. sleep in the airport overnight to save a few bucks.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Skipping a segment will cause the remainder of the ticket to be cancelled (without refund or credit).
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Skipping a segment will cause the remainder of the ticket to be cancelled (without refund or credit).
Not if it's the last one....
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That is a myth that has been perpetuated for years.

It was certainly not true for AC pre-Amadeus, and I have seen no anecdotes since then.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Maybe the OP can find a substitute Can-US flight that don’t require overnighting and buy another one-way US domestic home.
According to the Sep/Oct schedule, there is no airline that has YVR-SFO flight after 6pm Pacific Time, when our transpacific flight lands.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by bfhu
According to the Sep/Oct schedule, there is no airline that has YVR-SFO flight after 6pm Pacific Time, when our transpacific flight lands.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I was suggesting any Can-US flight to bring you over the border without overnighting in YVR airport to avoid denied boarding overseas. You’d probably overnight in that US city before flying home the next day.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mileageking
This is the flight I have booked for January. But if you look at the September and October schedule, there is only one daily flight between YVR and SFO.

Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:09 am

This is the flight I have booked for January. But if you look at the September and October schedule, there is only one daily flight between YVR and SFO.

United has a couple as well, but nothing in the evening.

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I was suggesting any Can-US flight to bring you over the border without overnighting in YVR airport to avoid denied boarding overseas. You’d probably overnight in that US city before flying home the next day.
Yeah, that's a good idea. YVR-SEA // overnight // SEA-SFO or something like that.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah, that's a good idea. YVR-SEA // overnight // SEA-SFO or something like that.
Except AC has no evening US departures if the current schedule holds from YVR.

If other flights go ahead (LAS/PDX/SEA), safe bet YVR-SFO would be going too anyway?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:56 am

It doesn't need to be AC, and it doesn't need to be "evening". Just 60 minutes after arrival time (and I don't believe we have that information).

I'm sure with the date and origin, someone could suggest something.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
We are US citizens. We just booked an international trip to Asia via Air Canada to see my seriously illed father-in-law. We will transfer via Vancouver. The outbound flight is ok. But the inbound flight in January might have a stop overnight in YVR due to the flight cut between YVR and SFO. Air Canada only has 1 daily flight between YVR and SFO in Sep. and Oct. So if this happens in January, will we be allowed to enter Canada and stay in a hotel room next to the airport? We have 5 and 7 year old kids. It is not suitable for us to stay at the airport overnight.

thanks.
While not the exact same question, I believe you will find https://travel.stackexchange.com/a/158947/4188 rather illuminating.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by chx1975
While not the exact same question, I believe you will find https://travel.stackexchange.com/a/158947/4188 rather illuminating.
Not even close to the same situation. That discussion talks about where people can quarantine after entering Canada (whether quarantine must be at the first port of entry) and that they are permitted to overnight in a hotel and then take a domestic flight to their destination the next day and begin their quarantine at their homes. For these people, Canada is their destination and they are therefore admissible to Canada. The OP is not admissible and he is not continuing on to his place of quarantine via a domestic flight. Not the same scenario.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

I called the Canadian Border Control Advisory Services today. The agent was really helpful. She put me on hold and contacted an agent at Vancouver airport. I was told that as long as my U.S. bound flight is within 24 hours, I will be allowed to stay in a hotel around the airport area. She sounds like that I can even stay in a nearby hotel other than the Fairmont in-terminal hotel. Well, I don't want to take the risk. I will just reserve a room at the Fairmont in-terminal hotel and print out the reservation with me. Problem solved. Thanks all for your help.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I called the Canadian Border Control Advisory Services today. The agent was really helpful. She put me on hold and contacted an agent at Vancouver airport. I was told that as long as my U.S. bound flight is within 24 hours, I will be allowed to stay in a hotel around the airport area. She sounds like that I can even stay in a nearby hotel other than the Fairmont in-terminal hotel. Well, I don't want to take the risk. I will just reserve a room at the Fairmont in-terminal hotel and print out the reservation with me. Problem solved. Thanks all for your help.
The Fairmont is landside, outside security, So the risk is the same whether you stay there or go down the street or even downtown to a hotel. You still must enter Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.