Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unable to check-in Family reunification Us citizen

Old Sep 12, 20, 2:45 pm
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......

Hi I need some information if anyone can help

My sister is a us resident but qualified to come see our elderly mother in Canada. Her flight is out of LAX tomorrow morning and she tried to check in online but got a message saying unable to check in.

She has a confirmation number from « Arrive Can app » they let her check in in person at LAX?

Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by Queen B; Sep 12, 20 at 3:09 pm
Old Sep 12, 20, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Queen B View Post
Hi I need some information if anyone can help

My sister is a us resident but qualified to come see our elderly mother in Canada. Her flight is out of LAX tomorrow morning and she tried to check in online but got a message saying unable to check in.

She has a confirmation number from « Arrive Can app » is that a good sign? Will they let her check in in person at LAX?

Thanks
Are you sure she is permitted to enter Canada? Is she a Canadian citizen? If not, then she must be a dependent child of your mom. Hopefully she has a Canadian passport? And remember, she will have to quarantine for 14 days. If your mom is elderly, doing so in the same home is ill-advised. She cannot leave her place of quarantine for any reason during those 14 days with the exception of essential medical care.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#immediate

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-family.html

Foreign nationals who are eligible to travel to Canada

To be eligible to travel to Canada as a foreign national, you must meet the requirements for eitherAn immediate family member is defined as aDependent child: A child who is under the maximum age and is not married or in a common law relationship. Generally, to qualify as dependants, children must
  • be under 22 years old
  • not have a spouse or common-law partner
Old Sep 12, 20, 2:59 pm
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

Yes she qualifies we talked to border services she can come see her mother and doesn’t have to be dependent

She has a quarantine plan and booked her tickets by phone with an AC agent who already asked her all those questions
Attached Images  
Old Sep 12, 20, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yes she qualifies we talked to border services she can come see her mother and doesn’t have to be dependent

She has a quarantine plan and booked her tickets by phone with an AC agent who already asked her all those questions
You are reading it backwards. She is not the parent. Read it again.

Foreign nationals who are eligible to travel to Canada

To be eligible to travel to Canada as a foreign national, you must meet the requirements for eitherAn immediate family member is defined as aIn other words, to be eligible to travel to Canada, she must meet the requirements of being an immediate family member of the Canadian citizen or PR (your mom). To be eligible she must be one of the above list. Your sister is not a parent of the citizen (your mother). Therefore she must be a dependent child of the citizen.

But if you have authorization from CBSA, I will bow out. I would just be absolutely sure if I were you.
Old Sep 12, 20, 3:23 pm
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

An immediate family member is defined as
A parent
In other words your parents
I repeat Border services has confirmed this information

My mother is 88 and dying so ...

Anyway if someone else Can respond on this Experience with not checking in online
Old Sep 12, 20, 3:37 pm

An immediate family member is defined as
A parent
In other words your parents
I repeat Border services has confirmed this information

My mother is 88 and dying so ...

Anyway if someone else Can respond on this Experience with not checking in online
I really hope this turns out ok but there are stories in the press of adult children being denied entry to visit their parents. Parents are explicitly allowed to visit their kids.
Old Sep 12, 20, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Plat/Lifetime Gold, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat
Show up at the airport early and hope that she is allowed on, and again allowed entry. Based on information posted above, speaking with someone at CBSA beforehand is probably not going to satisfy anyone other than you/your sister. If a deviation from entry requirements is going to happen I'd expect something in writing from the appropriate governing body.
Old Sep 12, 20, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Has she called AC to confirm that her ticket and reservation (two separate items) are both in order? Presuming that she has and that they are; If not, then must get that fixed. Best done before the airport.

2. It is standard not to be able to check in online for a transborder flight because her documents have not yet been checked. In non-pandemic times, this is simple. Now, as you can see, there are specific qualifications for travel and AC will not permit her to board the aircraft at LAX unless she has the paperwork to demonstrate that she is admissible to Canada. Presumably she has that in hand.

As to whether your relative is admissible, it does not really matter what CBSA told you. What will matter is what the check-in agent sees in AC's own policy. The quoted material above, taken directly from AC's website, would indeed make her inadmissible and thus she will almost certainly be denied boarding.

She needs to get that cleared up for sure because that is the exact reason she can't check in, e.g., she needs to demonstrate admissibility.
Old Sep 12, 20, 3:49 pm

I will try to explain one more time. To be eligible, your sister must be the parent of the Canadian citizen/PR. She is not. Or she can be the dependent child of the Canadian citizen. But not just a child. Parents can visit their kids but not vice versa.

I have quoted the official sources but here are some anecdotal stories which illustrate this. There are many stories in the news about children who are refused entry to Canada to visit sick parents. As the poster above says, I really hope it turns out ok but I would not rely on someone telling you it is. I am only trying to help, which it seems you don’t want so this is the last I will say.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ameri...ther-1.5632928
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...us/3262093001/
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:33 pm
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I will try to explain one more time. To be eligible, your sister must be the parent of the Canadian citizen/PR. She is not. Or she can be the dependent child of the Canadian citizen. But not just a child. Parents can visit their kids but not vice versa.

I have quoted the official sources but here are some anecdotal stories which illustrate this. There are many stories in the news about children who are refused entry to Canada to visit sick parents. As the poster above says, I really hope it turns out ok but I would not rely on someone telling you it is. I am only trying to help, which it seems you don’t want so this is the last I will say.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ameri...ther-1.5632928
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...us/3262093001/
Sorry I’m a bit touchy I have been worried & haven’t slept
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:35 pm

OP , you say your sister is a US resident but what passport does she hold?

As Often1 said, cross border flights right now in many directions are ineligible for complete OLCI due to the many document checks required.

Sorry to say, but Health Canada has even updated the COVID-19 travel restrictions website a few weeks ago stating that they have no compassion. Sorry about your mother. If your sister is a US citizen she will likely be not permitted. If Canadian, then no issue excepting the isolation period.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:36 pm
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
1. Has she called AC to confirm that her ticket and reservation (two separate items) are both in order? Presuming that she has and that they are; If not, then must get that fixed. Best done before the airport.

Yes

2. It is standard not to be able to check in online for a transborder flight because her documents have not yet been checked. In non-pandemic times, this is simple. Now, as you can see, there are specific qualifications for travel and AC will not permit her to board the aircraft at LAX unless she has the paperwork to demonstrate that she is admissible to Canada. Presumably she has that in hand.

She’s got loads of paperwork so ....hopefully she can come over

As to whether your relative is admissible, it does not really matter what CBSA told you. What will matter is what the check-in agent sees in AC's own policy. The quoted material above, taken directly from AC's website, would indeed make her inadmissible and thus she will almost certainly be denied boarding.

She needs to get that cleared up for sure because that is the exact reason she can't check in, e.g., she needs to demonstrate admissibility.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:41 pm
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
OP , you say your sister is a US resident but what passport does she hold?

As Often1 said, cross border flights right now in many directions are ineligible for complete OLCI due to the many document checks required.

Sorry to say, but Health Canada has even updated the COVID-19 travel restrictions website a few weeks ago stating that they have no compassion. Sorry about your mother. If your sister is a US citizen she will likely be not permitted. If Canadian, then no issue excepting the isolation period.
Us passport she’s a foreign national
They requested
mom birth certificate
Sister birth certificate
Proof of mom residence
Proof of mom still alive

She has all of the above... fingers crossed
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:45 pm

Good luck. Please keep us posted how this turns out.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:54 pm

Sorry I’m a bit touchy I have been worried & haven’t slept
I completely understand. It is such a difficult time anyway and this just makes it more so. I truly hope it goes well and your sister is allowed to board and then is admitted with no problems. If she gets as far as being allowed to board, once she arrives into Canada be prepared to very nicely plead your case. You are hoping for a kind CBSA agent who is willing to bend the rules and make an exception. Going into it with that attitude - hoping for an exception under the circumstances - if she has made it that far might help rather than any sense of entitlement as technically she is not admissible. Good luck and please report back with how it goes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: