Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC partners with McMaster HealthLabs & GTAA on Volunteer COVID Testing at YYZ

AC partners with McMaster HealthLabs & GTAA on Volunteer COVID Testing at YYZ

Old Oct 1, 20, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I am arriving internationally to YYZ however it is via YUL. So I will be clearing customs in YUL and catching a domestic flight to Toronto. Would I qualify? Im sure the screening at YYZ will be in the separate international arrivals area, but just want to confirm. Id really like to participate. My CDG to YYZ flight got cancelled, so have no choice but to connect through Montreal.
Write to your MP and the cabinet about having testing available at all airports.
Old Oct 1, 20, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
​​​​​​
To test everyone at YYZ would a monumental workload with hours of bottlenecks for arriving passengers. I've been at YYZ during peak arrival time to see the customs arrivals hall backed up all the way to the escalators, causing a hazard requiring the emergency stop button to be used. Then throw in some extra widebody diversions from other cities due to winter weather....
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Testing everyone seems to work for many other countries who are already doing it. They don't have logistical issues.
Old Oct 1, 20, 11:07 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cooleddie View Post
Testing everyone seems to work for many other countries who are already doing it. They don't have logistical issues.
They certainly do have logistical issues.

Originally, Iceland wanted to test all then couldn't get the tests in enough volume. Australia had said no more than 50 per arriving plane due to test and quarantine hotel limits.

As far as I know, the countries doing the testing on arrival are not handling 20k let alone 100k+ pax per day. (wikipedia says Pearson has 47 milion a year or 130k pax a day).
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
As far as I know, the countries doing the testing on arrival are not handling 20k let alone 100k+ pax per day. (wikipedia says Pearson has 47 milion a year or 130k pax a day).​
YYZ isn't currently handling 130k/day. Probably closer to 13k/day.
Old Oct 2, 20, 10:58 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Health Canada approved the ID NOW rapid test the other day, and Air Canada just announced they placed an order with the maker, Abbott, apparently to be used for voluntary employee testing.

Many US-based airlines have made arrangements to facilitate testing so that travellers can avoid the 14-day quarantine in Hawaii, and are working with the State. Looks like mail-in home testing is now okay, so long as it the swab is supervised via videoconference. If Air Canada is really serious about flying the HI routes in December, they had better get started too.
Old Oct 2, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
So only 20% of the eventual-positives were not caught immediately, and they were all caught after 7 (not 14) days.

Granted, this is a self-selecting set of people who clearly treat the virus more seriously, but if these results hold up to more scrutiny, AC will have data (as opposed to general fear-mongering) to lean on the government.
I'd like to read the actual paper from the scientists at McMaster as opposed to a marketing-speak press release. Sadly, I don't think the paper has made it to the pre-release servers, let alone get published for real.

So, based on a press release ...

AC is implying that approximately 1% of pax were positive for COVID-19. That's roughly 130 people. Of the 130 people, 20% did not test positive immediately but did test positive 7 days later.

If (IF ... if if if if if if ...) this is true, it might indicate that the test used is not sensitive enough. It's a huge IF that needs to be clarified. I'm willing to bet that the McMaster scientists discuss this very point in their paper. Sadly, AC jumped the gun and issued a press release instead of letting the scientists publish their paper first.

The problem here is that 20% of the (eventual) positives were allowed to pass Go. That's 26 people who, on average (effective R0 = 1.5), go on to infect another 39 people who go on to infect another 58.5 people who go on to infect another 87.75 people and before you know it, we have a thousand more cases to deal with.

AC's press release implies that everything is fine. The math indicates there may be another perspective to this.

I applaud AC for sponsoring this study. But they should let the scientists do their thing, then issue press releases after the science has been fully disclosed.
zappy312 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 20, 12:44 pm

Rapid COVID-19 Tests a Potential Game Changer; Air Canada on Board

Air Canada on Thursday said it's finalizing an initial order of Abbott's ID NOW COVID-19 rapid response tests as part of its ongoing evaluation of COVID-19 testing technology and protocols. The airline, which last month partnered with McMaster Health Labs (MHL) and the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) in a study of arriving international travellers at Toronto-Pearson, said preliminary results from the study indicate testing can help protect customers and facilitate the safe relaxation of government travel restrictions.

"Air Canada continues to explore various options for testing for COVID-19 and we are finalizing an initial order from Abbott for 25,000 rapid test kits for voluntary employee testing now that it has been approved for use in Canada. Understanding that we will need to live alongside this virus for the short- to medium-term, we have been pursuing relationships and a layered approach as a way to keep our employees and our customers safe. We believe testing will be key to protecting employees and customers until such time as a COVID-19 vaccine is available. Rapid testing is also a means to enable governments to relax current blanket travel restrictions and quarantines in a measured way while still safeguarding the health and safety of the public," said Dr. Jim Chung, Air Canada's Chief Medical Officer.

"We are further encouraged in our belief in the effectiveness of testing, including self-administered testing, by the preliminary results from our partnership with MHL and the GTAA. The preliminary results suggest a shorter, test-based strategy may be an available and safe alternative to the 14-day quarantine."
https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/impa...-on-board.html

Can't wait for no. of days to be in quarantine reduced or completely removed.
isaac.chambers likes this.

Last edited by mileageking; Oct 2, 20 at 12:49 pm
Old Oct 2, 20, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Disc, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
The problem here is that 20% of the (eventual) positives were allowed to pass Go. That's 26 people who, on average (effective R0 = 1.5), go on to infect another 39 people who go on to infect another 58.5 people who go on to infect another 87.75 people and before you know it, we have a thousand more cases to deal with.
No they weren't...

They went into quarantine. And then they tested positive 7 days later.
FlY2XS likes this.
Old Oct 2, 20, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC
I don't see this as replacing quarantine, but there is evidence that certain testing protocols could safely reduce the length of quarantine from 14 days.
Airlines throughout the world are banking on this.
Old Oct 3, 20, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by FlY2XS View Post
I don't see this as replacing quarantine, but there is evidence that certain testing protocols could safely reduce the length of quarantine from 14 days.
Airlines throughout the world are banking on this.
I agree If you do a pre departure test, then do an arrival test, then do test 5 days later, should reduce a lot of risk.
Old Oct 6, 20, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Did the test today. in and out in a couple of minutes. Chatted with them a little bit and they are getting about 300 people a day to participate in the testing.

AC is offering a 20% discount coupon to people who participate in the initial test and do both of the follow-ups at 7 and 14 days.
expert7700 and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 7, 20, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/why-air-c...ling-1.5135138

TORONTO -- Air Canada is pushing to drop the 14-day mandatory quarantine period for travellers returning to the country in favour of a test-based approach despite multiple flights still landing in the country with COVID-19 positive passengers.

The airline revealed the idea in a social media post on Tuesday, saying that more than 99 per cent of 15,000 voluntary COVID-19 tests taken by international customers at Toronto Pearson International Airport have tested negative.

“We believe that a test-based strategy may be a safe alternative to the 14-day quarantine,” the post said.
Old Oct 7, 20, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Disc, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/why-air-c...ling-1.5135138

TORONTO -- Air Canada is pushing to drop the 14-day mandatory quarantine period for travellers returning to the country in favour of a test-based approach despite multiple flights still landing in the country with COVID-19 positive passengers.

The airline revealed the idea in a social media post on Tuesday, saying that more than 99 per cent of 15,000 voluntary COVID-19 tests taken by international customers at Toronto Pearson International Airport have tested negative.

“We believe that a test-based strategy may be a safe alternative to the 14-day quarantine,” the post said.
I'm confused. In their own study, people tested negative on arrival, and positive after 7 days. The article doesn't say they want to drop the quarantine. The statement from AC was that a test-based approach may allow them to "relax" restrictions and the quarantine (like to 7 days), but given the results of the study, and the lack of any quote or paraphrased statement about dropping anything, I think CTV is the only party here who thinks AC wants to "drop" the quarantine.

But sure, more fear mongering for the public to make AC look bad, when they're in fact approaching this much more scientifically than the government.
jsfrSE and Yul_voyager like this.
Old Oct 7, 20, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
But sure, more fear mongering for the public to make AC look bad, when they're in fact approaching this much more scientifically than the government.
wow we agree twice in one week.
The fear mongering is exactly why the quarantine will not get lifted - no politician will take that chance. No matter how flawed and ineffective the quarantine is, its optics
Old Oct 7, 20, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

I'm confused. In their own study, people tested negative on arrival, and positive after 7 days. The article doesn't say they want to drop the quarantine. The statement from AC was that a test-based approach may allow them to "relax" restrictions and the quarantine (like to 7 days), but given the results of the study, and the lack of any quote or paraphrased statement about dropping anything, I think CTV is the only party here who thinks AC wants to "drop" the quarantine.
It is CTV's error as other sources have phrased it correctly:

Air Canada says it has an alternative to the 14-day quarantine for travellers
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: