FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Online check-in seat selection AC & LX flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2024431-online-check-seat-selection-ac-lx-flights.html)

yvrcnx Sep 2, 2020 11:40 pm

Online check-in seat selection AC & LX flights

We have flights booked later this month from YVR via YUL to ZRH.
YVR - YUL is operated by AC and YUL - ZRH by LX.

Since I don't want to pay the CHF 42 to reserve seats in advance on the YUL - ZRH flights, my question is if I will be allowed to select seats on the LX sector when doing the online check-in which will be done on the AC site or do I need to do a separate check-in on the LX site 23 hour before to select seats?

Flights are quite empty and I am not to concerned about availability as long as I can get 2 seats on either side since I am flying with my son but wouldn't want to wait until we get to the airport in case we can't book seats at least during the online check-in.

Thanks in advance in case someone has had this kind of AC/LX combination before.

Adam Smith Sep 2, 2020 11:46 pm

You should generally be able to select seats on the 2nd flight when checking in for the 1st, so no need for a separate check-in. Although check-in usually only opens at T-24, it you have an inbound connection, you can actually check in as early as T-48 or T-36, something like that. So you should be okay to select seats for YUL-ZRH when you check in for YVR-YUL (which will check you in for the whole YVR-YUL-ZRH).

yvrcnx Sep 2, 2020 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 32649005)
You should generally be able to select seats on the 2nd flight when checking in for the 1st, so no need for a separate check-in. Although check-in usually only opens at T-24, it you have an inbound connection, you can actually check in as early as T-48 or T-36, something like that. So you should be okay to select seats for YUL-ZRH when you check in for YVR-YUL (which will check you in for the whole YVR-YUL-ZRH).

Thank you very much Adam, that is really helpful and makes sense. I'll wait until we can do the online check-in and I am also checking every couple of days if seats have been reserved but so far the Economy cabin looks completely open with only 3 - 4 seats reserved or blocked.

If I would see that for some reason the seats are being taken quite fast, I wouldn't mind spending the CHF 42 but for now I'll just wait.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

YYCCL3 Sep 3, 2020 8:44 am

I had an itinerary recently where the first flight was UA, so OLCI was through UA - second segment was LX and I was not able to select a seat during OLCI. It was assigned at the airport. The flight's probably empty anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a bad seat assigned. I wasn't actually able to select any seat after T-48 through the LX website whether I wanted to pay or not, but ended up getting one of the SEN/HON seats assigned automatically.

yvrcnx Sep 3, 2020 10:28 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 32649626)
I had an itinerary recently where the first flight was UA, so OLCI was through UA - second segment was LX and I was not able to select a seat during OLCI. It was assigned at the airport. The flight's probably empty anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a bad seat assigned. I wasn't actually able to select any seat after T-48 through the LX website whether I wanted to pay or not, but ended up getting one of the SEN/HON seats assigned automatically.

I had a feeling that could be the case since SWISS seat selection information is not very clear especially when it is a multiple airline ticket.
I'll just wait for now and see if the flight is filling and seats are getting booked before our departure and if not, I'll just wait until we get to the airport and hopefully we can get 'good seats'.

By the way I am not SEN/HON, just Star Gold but hopefully they wold at least put us in 2 seats together.

YYCCL3 Sep 3, 2020 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx (Post 32649856)
I had a feeling that could be the case since SWISS seat selection information is not very clear especially when it is a multiple airline ticket.
I'll just wait for now and see if the flight is filling and seats are getting booked before our departure and if not, I'll just wait until we get to the airport and hopefully we can get 'good seats'.

By the way I am not SEN/HON, just Star Gold but hopefully they wold at least put us in 2 seats together.

It was an AP booking and I only had P25K on the flight in question, so no special status. I don't think you'll have any issue getting seated together. And you can ask to have the seats changed at the gate in YUL if you want to look for something better. I changed my already good assigned seat to one of the best ones when I arrived at the gate in ORD :D

yvrcnx Sep 3, 2020 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 32650067)
It was an AP booking and I only had P25K on the flight in question, so no special status. I don't think you'll have any issue getting seated together. And you can ask to have the seats changed at the gate in YUL if you want to look for something better. I changed my already good assigned seat to one of the best ones when I arrived at the gate in ORD :D

Mine is an AP booking as well. Best value with lowest taxes and fees to get to Europe. :)

If this was a 'normal' year, I would probably pay the CHF 42 but with flights looking quite empty, I am not going to worry and do as you said, get seat assigned at the airport and change if needed.

Now I am just hoping that new cases are not increasing significantly over the next 3 weeks and we can still enter Europe without major restrictions.

Thank you!

Adam Smith Sep 3, 2020 12:42 pm

I had an itinerary recently where the first flight was UA, so OLCI was through UA - second segment was LX and I was not able to select a seat during OLCI.

Whenever OAL metal is involved, weird stuff can happen, but I've never had an issue with AC to LH group.

GS4ACUSA Sep 3, 2020 3:00 pm

Both AC and LX are on Amadeus so the through-check should work seamlessly and you should be able to do seat selection when you do the initial check-in.

tomvancouver Sep 3, 2020 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by GS4ACUSA (Post 32650516)
Both AC and LX are on Amadeus so the through-check should work seamlessly and you should be able to do seat selection when you do the initial check-in.

Maybe the first time I've read "should work seamlessly' and "AC" in the same sentence. I guess should is the qualifier

YYCCL3 Sep 22, 2020 5:27 am

OP, How did your OLCI go?

yvrcnx Sep 22, 2020 9:47 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 32692439)
OP, How did your OLCI go?

Thank you for asking.

I will find out on Saturday morning since our flight is departing Sunday morning. :)
I'll defintely come back and report here how it went.

yvrcnx Sep 26, 2020 10:13 am

Just an update on this.
I wasn't able to get seats assigned for the LX flight during the online check-in, only for the domestic sector YVR - YUL.
I assume we'll be getting our seats for the LX flight either at check-in at YVR or latest during transit in YUL - hopefully not that latter.

Adam Smith Sep 26, 2020 11:08 am

Originally Posted by yvrcnx (Post 32702154)
Just an update on this.
I wasn't able to get seats assigned for the LX flight during the online check-in, only for the domestic sector YVR - YUL.
I assume we'll be getting our seats for the LX flight either at check-in at YVR or latest during transit in YUL - hopefully not that latter.

Interesting. You might also want to check again on OLCI once it's 24h before the LX flight.

yvrcnx Sep 26, 2020 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 32702252)
Interesting. You might also want to check again on OLCI once it's 24h before the LX flight.

I am definitely going to try this afternoon, 24 hours before the LX flight is supposed to depart. Hopefully that will work.
When I last checked the seatmap just before the 48 hours window when LX closes the seatmap, LX had blocked all middle seats in the center section.

With the exception of one bulkhead seat, all other seats showed open but I know that doesnt mean much as people might just not have reserved their seats like myself and didn't want to pay the $ 42 - $ 110 for seat selection.

I'll report back after I try the LX check-in later today directly.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e526471ace.jpg