Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Boeing yanks Air Canada 787 from service over structural issue

Old Aug 28, 20, 6:27 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC Tangerine

From https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...uctural-issue/

“Two manufacturing issues compromised an area of the structure in the rear of the 787 that is unable to withstand the maximum stress that would be experienced by the aircraft in service and could fail.

Boeing earlier this week instructed airlines to pull a batch of eight recently-manufactured 787 Dreamliners from service, prompting their immediate grounding, after the plane maker determined that a manufacturing issue undermined the strength of an area of the jet’s carbon fiber composite structure.

So far, eight 787s — all built in the last few years — have been withdrawn from flying. Aircraft for United Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Air Canada are impacted by the impromptu grounding, according to a person familiar with the situation.”

Any idea which AC frame is at risk?
Old Aug 28, 20, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briantoronto View Post
From https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...uctural-issue/

“Two manufacturing issues compromised an area of the structure in the rear of the 787 that is unable to withstand the maximum stress that would be experienced by the aircraft in service and could fail.

Boeing earlier this week instructed airlines to pull a batch of eight recently-manufactured 787 Dreamliners from service, prompting their immediate grounding, after the plane maker determined that a manufacturing issue undermined the strength of an area of the jet’s carbon fiber composite structure.

So far, eight 787s — all built in the last few years — have been withdrawn from flying. Aircraft for United Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Air Canada are impacted by the impromptu grounding, according to a person familiar with the situation.”
Any idea which AC frame is at risk?
It would appear that UA and SQ only got one each, so the last six should be AC's?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-bo...-idUSKBN25O1HV

Mind you, odds are that they are not really needed at this point. It appears neither of the other two are currently in service...
Old Aug 28, 20, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC*A
Given it includes 78Xs, I assume it is one of AC's most recent 789s...

Of these, the final fin, 859/C-FVNF hasn't flown since the weekend (unlike its compatriots):
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-fvnf

That would be my guess, at least!

EDIT: I assumed it was only 1 AC aircraft... so I may be wrong

Last edited by Orcair; Aug 28, 20 at 3:25 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 29, 20, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Does anyone have any update on this and if it will affect the current schedule?
Old Aug 29, 20, 1:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by Orcair View Post
EDIT: I assumed it was only 1 AC aircraft... so I may be wrong
I heard on the news that 8 Air Canada aircraft were involved, also Singapore Airlines, United etc.
Old Aug 29, 20, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With 737s and now some 787s parked, there must be some serious dollars in compensation going AC way??
Old Aug 29, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber View Post
I heard on the news that 8 Air Canada aircraft were involved, also Singapore Airlines, United etc.
According to OP's article from The Air Current, I believe it is 8 787s in total which have this manufacturing defect. Not all 8 from AC though. Hard to tell which fins though since AC has parked many of its 789s given COVID.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Aug 29, 20, 5:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Yes that appears correct--on another site:

Dreamliners Grounded

"Boeing declined to identify the airlines involved, but United Airlines, Air Canada and Singapore Airlines confirmed that each has one plane grounded for inspection."
Old Aug 30, 20, 9:41 am

https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...ssues-multiple

...the affected airframes are from a batch produced sequentially in 2019,...
Old Aug 31, 20, 9:39 am

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
I doubt the airlines involved can prove much of a financial impact for compensation. All of them have way more frames then they need.
Old Aug 31, 20, 9:52 am

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...ssues-multiple

...the affected airframes are from a batch produced sequentially in 2019,...
AC list 2 789s produced in 2019
  • C-FVND Fin 858 - February 2019
  • C-FVNF Fin 859 - April 2019
C-FVND has been flying regularly but C-FVNF has been in YYZ since the 25th (and was flying regularly before that)
Old Aug 31, 20, 8:55 pm

Programs: Air Canada 25K, Star Silver
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist View Post
C-FVND has been flying regularly but C-FVNF has been in YYZ since the 25th (and was flying regularly before that)
I flew on C-FVNF in late July. Yeesh.
Old Sep 1, 20, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, WS Gold
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist View Post
So narrowing things down to the two AC jets delivered in 2019, it would appear to be fin 858 (C-FVND) - Boeing's 812th unit produced since both United and Singapore Airlines have nearby airframes. In the case of C-FVNF, there is a nearby United but not Singapore delivery.

If these assumptions are correct and the airframes were sequentially built according to the line numbers, then airlines affected would include:
Air Canada
United
Norwegian Air
Shanghai Airlines (x2)
Westjet (1 or possibly 2)

Possibles:
ANA
Korean
https://www.airfleets.net/listing/b787-4-lndesc.htm

Take the above analysis with a grain of salt since it is unclear whether this is sequential production at one site or both sites combined (i.e. Charleston vs. Everett)

Last edited by The Lev; Sep 1, 20 at 4:26 pm
Old Sep 1, 20, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
So narrowing things down to the two AC jets delivered in 2019, it would appear to be fin C-FVND (Boeing's 812th unit produced) since both United and Singapore Airlines have nearby airframes. In the case of C-FVNF, there is a nearby United but not Singapore delivery.

If these assumptions are correct and the airframes were sequentially built according to the line numbers, then airlines affected would include:
Air Canada
United
Norwegian Air
Shanghai Airlines (x2)
Westjet (1 or possibly 2)

Possibles:
ANA
Korean
https://www.airfleets.net/listing/b787-4-lndesc.htm

Take the above analysis with a grain of salt since it is unclear whether this is sequential production at one site or both sites combined (i.e. Charleston vs. Everett)
There apparently was a -10 from SQ.
Old Sep 1, 20, 2:36 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
So narrowing things down to the two AC jets delivered in 2019, it would appear to be fin C-FVND
Just splitting hair here... But technically FIN stands for Fleet Identification Number, so FIN goes with a number (e.g. FIN 858). C-FVND would be the actual registration of the aircraft.
YYC009 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: