Same Day standby question

Old Aug 23, 20, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Same Day standby question

I booked a P class fare YYZ-FRA-ZRH. YYZ-FRA is AC and FRA-ZRH is LH.

On the day of departure, am I able to stand by for the direct YYZ-ZRH flight and if so am I higher on the priority list than people trying to upgrade to J?
Old Aug 24, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE
it is possible but they really struggle with this. Maybe with Amadeus it will be easier. Having the LH flight messes it up for them.
Old Aug 24, 20, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
It was never a technical issue. It's a policy issue.
Old Aug 24, 20, 11:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
It was never a technical issue. It's a policy issue.
The policy being that it's not allowed?
Old Aug 24, 20, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
The policy being that it's not allowed?
Yes.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 26, 20, 4:31 pm

Interesting. I've seen folks traveling from XXX-YYZ-YUL stand by for XXX-YUL without issue. I'll have to check what the actual policy is in this case!
Old Aug 26, 20, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GS4ACUSA View Post
Interesting. I've seen folks traveling from XXX-YYZ-YUL stand by for XXX-YUL without issue. I'll have to check what the actual policy is in this case!
But that's all AC metal.

AC expected the money for a XXX-YUL fare, and they receive it all either way.

For YYZ-FRA-ZRH, LH expects some money.

There's nothing stopping AC from lifting the first coupon and throwing you on YYZ-ZRH (and it happens all the time in IRROPS), but I suspect the accounting becomes a mess.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 30, 20, 6:27 pm

YYZ-YOW same day earlier standby?

I have an Air Canada (Sky Regional) Aeroplan X class flight booked next week. Can same day earlier flights between YYZ/YOW be taken free (subject to availability) and arranged at the airport counter?

i recall when I flew from SYD-SFO-YYZ once on aeroplan, the SFO-YYZ portion was Air Canada and I arrived earlier from Sydney than planned. I simply paid a fee at the AC counter...$100 bucks or something...and they moved me to the earlier SFO-YYZ AC flight without Having to deal with any Aeroplan call centre shenanigans. Hoping I can do something similar in Ottawa and I know the same day airport change fee is zero for tor/ott flights.
Old Aug 30, 20, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by marktwothousand View Post
I have an Air Canada (Sky Regional) Aeroplan X class flight booked next week. Can same day earlier flights between YYZ/YOW be taken free (subject to availability) and arranged at the airport counter?

i recall when I flew from SYD-SFO-YYZ once on aeroplan, the SFO-YYZ portion was Air Canada and I arrived earlier from Sydney than planned. I simply paid a fee at the AC counter...$100 bucks or something...and they moved me to the earlier SFO-YYZ AC flight without Having to deal with any Aeroplan call centre shenanigans. Hoping I can do something similar in Ottawa and I know the same day airport change fee is zero for tor/ott flights.
Not sure about reward bookings but when you do online check-in youíll likely be given options for confirmed same day change (for a fee) or possibly free standby for an earlier flight (as this is a rapidair route). There should be no need to go to the airport to do this in advance.
Old Aug 30, 20, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by marktwothousand View Post

standby should be free at the airport for the rapidair triangle (yyz yow and yul)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...s-service.html
Old Aug 31, 20, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER View Post
Not sure about reward bookings but when you do online check-in youíll likely be given options for confirmed same day change (for a fee) or possibly free standby for an earlier flight (as this is a rapidair route). There should be no need to go to the airport to do this in advance.
for real?? Is this something new? Thatís awesome!
Old Aug 31, 20, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Standby on Rapidair has always had some options presented during OLCI. It's better now, but not entirely new.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: