FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: 737 MAX Goodwill Policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2023756-737-max-goodwill-policy.html)

On Time Reports Aug 21, 2020 10:38 am

737 MAX Goodwill Policy

Anyone know the revised goodwill policy for the 737 MAX? Right now, the one on the agent site expired on June 30.

For reference, I am referring to: aircanada.com --> Travel agents --> Online DRS --> 737 MAX Suspension - Goodwill Policy - January 2020
(cannot post URL b/c I don't have 5 posts yet on flyertalk)

Would like to use this goodwill policy to change some of my flights.

canadiancow Aug 21, 2020 10:57 am

I can't speak for the actual policy, but I don't know why they'd let you make any changes.

People trying to use this policy are either:
1. Completely ignorant of the MAX situation
2. Trying to abuse the policy.

There are no MAX aircraft in the near-term schedule, and anything more than 2 months out is in such heavy flux that I wouldn't bet on the flight operating at all, without even considering aircraft type.

On Time Reports Aug 21, 2020 11:04 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 32620248)
I can't speak for the actual policy, but I don't know why they'd let you make any changes.

People trying to use this policy are either:
1. Completely ignorant of the MAX situation
2. Trying to abuse the policy.

There are no MAX aircraft in the near-term schedule, and anything more than 2 months out is in such heavy flux that I wouldn't bet on the flight operating at all, without even considering aircraft type.

Well it is a goodwill policy...

Used the policy in May for flights in August to get a full refund back to my original form of payment on 737-max operated flights at the time of booking (December 2019).
i.e. In Dec it was 7M8, but AC changed it to A321 in February 2020. Still got a full refund back to my original form of payment.

dr_torch Aug 21, 2020 11:44 am

Originally Posted by On Time Reports (Post 32620265)
Well it is a goodwill policy...

Well, unfortunately I think you probably hit the nail on the head with this one. It was a goodwill policy and now it is no longer valid.

With all the COVID-19 stuff going on perhaps you are given the option to cancel and get a credit / gift card?

Jagboi Aug 21, 2020 11:56 am

Just for reference, the link to the policy: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...ll-737-en.html

On Time Reports Aug 21, 2020 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch (Post 32620372)
Well, unfortunately I think you probably hit the nail on the head with this one. It was a goodwill policy and now it is no longer valid.

With all the COVID-19 stuff going on perhaps you are given the option to cancel and get a credit / gift card?

But the thing is with AC Goodwill Policies (i.e. hurricanes, airport strikes) they usually remove it a few days after the policy has expired. Suspiciously, Air Canada did not remove this policy even though theoretically it has expired for almost two months now. So I think it is quite fishy...

Obviously most bookings right now can be converted into gift card, but I would like a refund back to my original form of payment.

RangerNS Aug 21, 2020 12:40 pm

What are you trying to do?

Do you have flights booked on the MAX?

On Time Reports Aug 21, 2020 12:46 pm

I have more flights that were supposed to be 737 max operated at the time of booking (since changed) and would like to use this policy to get a full refund back to my original form of payment. Obviously, can't quote a expired policy to AC agents when I call.

RangerNS Aug 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Let me rephrase: Are you trying to get money back because the MAX being a death trap is news to you, or are you trying to get your money back for some other reason and trying to use the MAX as an excuse?

BearX220 Aug 21, 2020 1:47 pm

It's a completely moot point as the MAX is months away from being recertified and will require many months more to be taken out of mothballs and fixed up for revenue service.

Adam Smith Aug 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 32620672)
It's a completely moot point as the MAX is months away from being recertified and will require many months more to be taken out of mothballs and fixed up for revenue service.

You've completely missed the point of this thread, which is not yet another place to argue about the qualities of the MAX (or lack thereof), but around AC's policy around re-booking or refunding flights booked on the MAX.

FlyerAl Aug 21, 2020 5:53 pm

There are flights in the schedule for November showing as being operated by the MAX, even though the MAX won't be flying until sometime next year (if ever). If you buy a ticket on one of these flights, does this mean you can cancel and refund it while it still shows as a MAX flight?

On Time Reports Aug 21, 2020 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerAl (Post 32621167)
There are flights in the schedule for November showing as being operated by the MAX, even though the MAX won't be flying until sometime next year (if ever). If you buy a ticket on one of these flights, does this mean you can cancel and refund it while it still shows as a MAX flight?

According to the goodwill policy that I was referring to, as long as the equipment was a 7M8 at the time of booking, you fit the eligibility requirements. But since the policy expired on June 30, there is theoretically no goodwill policy right now...

BearX220 Aug 22, 2020 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 32620791)
You've completely missed the point of this thread, which is not yet another place to argue about the qualities of the MAX (or lack thereof), but around AC's policy around re-booking or refunding flights booked on the MAX.

As there will be none for a long time it's like discussing which restaurant you should eat at on the moon.

Adam Smith Aug 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 32621962)
As there will be none for a long time it's like discussing which restaurant you should eat at on the moon.

:rolleyes: Again, you completely misunderstand this thread. It's not to discuss when or whether the MAX will fly again.

This thread is about AC's goodwill policy relating to flights that were scheduled on the MAX. The OP's question is whether that goodwill policy has been or might be extended, which has nothing to do with what you keep posting about. If you want to discuss the 737 in general, there's a thread for that: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ody-fleet.html