Question: 737 MAX Goodwill Policy

Old Aug 22, 20, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
As there will be none for a long time it's like discussing which restaurant you should eat at on the moon.
You would be likely 100% correct with your interpretation of the policy. If you had a flight booked on the Max, up to June 30th, the policy does allow for a full refund. However, we are well passed June 30th. Whether you can access the policy on the web or not does not change the fact that, as you have correctly stated, the policy has expired. As such, unless you booked a refundable fare, you are unlikely entitled to refund (especially in light of the fact that AC is not refunding flights that have been cancelled, regardless of aircraft). I suspect you can convert your booking to AE miles or a transferrable gift card as per the present policy.
Old Aug 23, 20, 10:05 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Max to Hawaii

I suspect AC may change our morning MAX flight to Honolulu to an evening one on a 787 (consolidating the 2 max flights that day) and if they do so before possibly cancelling all flights altogether due to COVID I would assume that I would have a decent argument for a refund once they cancel the am MAX flight??
Old Aug 23, 20, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
I suspect AC may change our morning MAX flight to Honolulu to an evening one on a 787 (consolidating the 2 max flights that day) and if they do so before possibly cancelling all flights altogether due to COVID I would assume that I would have a decent argument for a refund once they cancel the am MAX flight??
No not likely - I don't believe AC has been refunding cancellations or schedule changes. So again, unless you are on a refundable ticket, you will not get a refund.
Old Aug 23, 20, 4:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
They may not cave in an initial call but I am sure that aside from the Covid argument that they seek to apply to everything the contract would require a refund if there is a 9 hour sched change. I would dispute with Amex as well. A change to one flight on a 787 is not due to Covid, they simply lack equipment to match the mission for 2 flights.
Old Aug 23, 20, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Schedule is not guaranteed, and same calendar day is the same calendar day. You'd not get a penny in normal times.

The MAX has been a known death trap for years, 9 hour sked change to a non-MAX is a step up.

The policy has expired.

What are you really expecting here, OP?
Old Aug 23, 20, 10:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
They may not cave in an initial call but I am sure that aside from the Covid argument that they seek to apply to everything the contract would require a refund if there is a 9 hour sched change. [...] A change to one flight on a 787 is not due to Covid, they simply lack equipment to match the mission for 2 flights.
Perhaps you haven't been paying attention, but AC no longer refunds non-refundable tickets, regardless of what the tariff said when the ticket was purchased. The MAX goodwill policy was a rare exception to that.

Every schedule change now is labelled as being due to government travel advisory, even if it's just changing the time of a flight by 5 minutes. Yes, it's BS, but that's the world we live in.

If you don't like it, I suggest you head over to the master thread on credits vs refunds, where the issue is discussed in detail.

But be under no illusions about what you'll get if you phone AC. They don't even give refunds when they no longer fly to the same continent, so a 9-hour schedule change is nothing.
​​​​​​
I would dispute with Amex as well.
That's really your only avenue, at this point, and recent reports seem to suggest that's becoming less successful. But again, the refunds vs credits thread is the place to discuss that.

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
You would be likely 100% correct with your interpretation of the policy.
You quoted the wrong post in this message.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: