Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

new AC Aeroplan program - *constructive* criticism

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new AC Aeroplan program - *constructive* criticism

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You're listing examples of people just barely scraping by at the lowest possible AQD levels while flying all AC metal. The average long-haul flyer is definitely not flying J at 10 cpm (on an AQM basis) and they're probably not even flying Flex at 10 cpm most of the time either.

I'm not saying it's impossible to earn 100K AQM on $10K AQD while flying all AC metal, but that basically means flying 100K AQM of mistake fares or applying promo codes to rock-bottom sale fares.

AC's average prices are far higher than that, so I expect the average flyer is actually going to come out better. They may come out worse on some tickets, but there's definitely more upside than downside, and they'll probably benefit more often than they lose.

This will hurt a bunch of the FT crowd, who are experts at min-maxing and so on, but AC's goal with pretty much all of its changes in recent years has been to reward profitable customers. Someone flying 100K on $10K AQD all AC metal is likely not a very profitable customer, so I don't think they should be surprised to see their earnings take a bit of a hit. And if they want to take their business elsewhere, AC probably isn't going to care too much. This is kind of like the introduction of AQD in that way.

As for your own situation, is earning a few fewer RDMs really going to make the difference though? SE is a pretty valuable status to have.
Good points!

I fully agree that it is inevitable that travellers booking "discounted" long-haul tickets will earn fewer miles under a revenue-based system - even in PE/J.

And you're right - maybe the figures I used are "outliers". But it is not hard at all to find "common" examples of pax who will be impacted really badly. E.g.

West Coast - Europe r/t in PE (~$2000-$2500 AQD r/t in N/E):
- a non-status pax currently earns 15k+ AE miles and will now earn 6k-7.5k AE miles
- a SE currently earns 27k+ AE miles and will now earn 14k-17.5k AE miles (using the 7x multiplier)

YUL/YYZ-HKG/TPE r/t in J (~$3000-$3500 AQD r/t in P):
- a non-status pax currently earns ~24k AE miles and will now earn 9k-10.5k AE miles
- a SE currently earns ~40k AE miles and will now earn 21k-24.5k AE miles (using the 7x multiplier)

YUL/YYZ-HKG/TPE r/t in PE (~1700-$2000 AQD r/t in N):
- a non-status pax currently earns ~20k AE miles and will now earn 5k-6k AE miles
- a SE currently earns ~36k AE miles and will now earn 10k-14k AE miles (using the 7x multiplier)

Most travellers make their decision based on a combination of the following:

(1) price
(2) schedule
(3) product
(4) earning miles / utilizing FF benefits / earning status / etc.

You are right that many FTers are "outliers" in that they try to maximize each of these components.
Most travellers will settle for an overall combination of factors that they consider "good".
If an airline falls short in one area, they need to compensate for that in another area to generate business.
Likewise, if an airline significantly devalues one of the above factors, travellers are more likely to look at alternatives.

Some people will no doubt disagree, but I would rank AC J as one of the top overall J products on TATL routes. But assuming same/similar fares, why would anyone choose to fly AC instead of BR/CX/SQ/etc. on TPAC routes?

From a business perspective, a FF program has three main goals:

a) "rewarding" customers, in particular "more profitable" customers
b) generating incremental revenue, increasing share of wallet from a customer, increasing overall market share etc.
c) offering a compelling overall program that incentivizes customers to use as many different services as possible (e.g. co-branded credit card, booking hotels via the AE portal etc. in addition to flight activity)

The new AE program does an excellent job at rewarding those who spend a lot of money on short-haul (domestic) flights. But IMO it does a terrible job at generating (incremental) business from longhaul travellers who tend to have the greatest flexibility to choose another airline and/or FFP.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
As for your own situation, is earning a few fewer RDMs really going to make the difference though? SE is a pretty valuable status to have.
Based on my typical flying pattern, I would earn 60%-70% fewer miles. I have never booked an error fare, just happen to almost exclusively fly internationally (mainly in Lat/PE/J).

In the past the benefits of SE and the AE program as a whole made it worthwhile for me to:

1) book 90%+ of my paid flights on AC even when AC was far from the best option on a particular itinerary and
2) increase the number of trips I take per year / take more discretionary trips

With the new program, I will most likely:

1) minimize/consolidate trips and
2) move to a purely transactional and choose whatever airline offers the best overall value on a given trip (probably a mix of new BA J, CX and AC for paid flights and BA/CX/AS/AC/LH as my FFPs). Feel free to e-mail me for an in-depth discussion.

Sure, my travel patterns may not qualify as "average", but there are dertainly quite a few travellers who mainly fly internationally and have a lot of choices/flexibility.
unclepants and YOWgary like this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Your SE numbers use a select privilege to elevate it on the old earning chart, but not the new one. You should at least compare apples to apples.

But more importantly, you're still giving examples in N and P class. Those are deep discount fares. They're not last minute O/J. Or even one week out E/D.

If you want to discuss this outside the FT-type user, you need to pick more realistic fares. Not fares purchased by people who only ever look for the best deal, but by people who have a set destination and set time, and don't usually know months in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Your SE numbers use a select privilege to elevate it on the old earning chart, but not the new one. You should at least compare apples to apples.
Fair point. I would've used a different multiplier for the SE example if we had any information on whether there will be an additional multiplier, and if so how it will work.

But more importantly, you're still giving examples in N and P class. Those are deep discount fares. They're not last minute O/J. Or even one week out E/D.

If you want to discuss this outside the FT-type user, you need to pick more realistic fares. Not fares purchased by people who only ever look for the best deal, but by people who have a set destination and set time, and don't usually know months in advance.
Sure, there are many different types of PE/J pax. I have met pax who spend more than $1 per AQM on a regular basis.

But there are also plenty of PE/J pax:

- who are leisure pax and book several weeks/months in advance
- who are business travellers who have some control over their schedule or know about conferences / trade fairs months in advance
- who travel for business and need to work with increasingly restrictive travel policies / decreasing travel budgets / etc.

Not everyone is a consultant booking $10k J fares 24h in advance.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Aug 19, 2020 at 8:02 pm
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Now you're arguing to eliminate mileage qualification.

I don't know how to have this discussion with someone who thinks 100k SQM isn't a lot of flying.
this is exactly why i like IHG Rewards Club. you can spend about 10 nights in a $400/night hotel and make Platinum instead of having to sleep 40 nights in cheapo places. If someone is dropping $30k on AC without going 100k miles, they've earned status and accompanying benefits. they're literally subsidizing the rest of bottom feeders.

ps. 90% of my flying is Int'l J. i normally hit $20k on AC by about 50-60k miles and then spend the rest of my money on BR and other *A. theres no incentive to give more $$ to AC.
BrotherBranwell likes this.

Last edited by karachi; Aug 20, 2020 at 8:04 am
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Now you're arguing to eliminate mileage qualification.

I don't know how to have this discussion with someone who thinks 100k SQM isn't a lot of flying.
I said nothing about eliminating mileage qualification, you miss the point altogether. What I said is that three or four round-trips in a year is not "frequent flying" by any measure, regardless of distance flown. But some poor sod riding a Q400 every week on a commuter run is very much a frequent flier, whether they reach SE or not.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by karachi
If someone is dropping $30k on AC without going 100k miles, they've earned status and accompanying benefits. they're literally subsidizing the rest of bottom feeders.
No, they have not.

Status isn't meant to reward you, it's meant to incentivize more business (take discretionary trips, or book AC where you otherwise would have booked BA), or more lucrative business (Flex instead of Standard).

If anything, granting SE to someone who spends $30k on 40k SQM is more likely to spend LESS money on AC with status, because they now have ways of flying J without paying for J.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I said nothing about eliminating mileage qualification, you miss the point altogether. What I said is that three or four round-trips in a year is not "frequent flying" by any measure, regardless of distance flown. But some poor sod riding a Q400 every week on a commuter run is very much a frequent flier, whether they reach SE or not.
Okay, I think I agree. We should stop using the phrase "frequent flyer program" and instead say "loyalty program"?

The only* place on https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...an/status.html with the word "frequent" is in the MM section, so I think AC agrees with you too. I think most people use it because it's what these programs are colloquially called.

It's a loyalty program, designed to extract more revenue from customers by giving them different incentives based on how much money they think they can extract.

*Technically there's an error message in the login form that mentions a "frequent flyer number", but:
1. That seems to suggest the old marketing used that term, but none of the new marketing
2. While an SE's Aeroplan number may be a "frequent flyer" number, my mom's sure isn't, yet it's still referred to as such
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

stopovers in Canada/US on award tickets

(trying move this thread back to providing constructive suggestions)

There have been various reports that stopovers in Canada/US won't be allowed on any type of award booking.

While it's no doubt a major devaluation, I can sort of see the rationale behind eliminating stopovers on awards wholly within Canada/US since revenue tickets don't allow them either.

However, on int'l awards this seems like an unnecessary restriction/devaluation. I think a reasonable compromise would be to allow stopovers in Canada/US when the award booking includes travel from/to South America / Atlantic / Pacific.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I have had a quick look at some of the plans and the changes, and it is just too cumbersome and complicated for me. Maybe my comments will not go down well with some members on this forum, but I just don't want to play the booking and accrual game. Redemption & accrual of these points/miles isn't a game for me. Like many others, I have spent years amassing my miles, only to see them devalued multiple times, and here we have another devaluation. No, I don't want another complex set of rules and regulations to wade through and I don't even know if the AC/AP IT system will actually be able to support all the changes and rules. I want to be able to book my redemption online and in the past, unless it was a simple RT this was not possible.

Yes, I get it that times have changed and yes on the surface I like the fact that the points are redeemable on any seat, but I just know that AC is going to embrace the Delta model that will price TPAC seats at 300,000+ miles. Sure, the charts will say one can have a lower redemption, but I have zero confidence in AC doing that as the program rolls out.

I don't mind co-paying and I would rather be able to pay a flat fee of $250 -$500 on a TPAC and have an assured option of 150,000 miles of a business class seat.
The revised accrual of mileage won't encourage me to select AC. If it wasn't for P & Z fares and the AP accrual, I would not have flown AC TPAC. Maybe I have misunderstood, but with the reduced accrual on the AC P&Z airfares, I believe that I am better off with the competition on these routes. The fact that I end up with that conclusion speaks to the complexities of the new AP program and I just don't have the time to dig through the rules and to play the games.

One of the main reasons why I flew with AC was to maintain status so that I could get the premium service on my domestic flights.I don't know if I will have that. I will most likely be spending $10,000- $15,000 with AC starting in Q3 2021, but I have no idea if that will even get me status. Maybe someone will say sure, but, it isn't clear to me and I am confused, and that isn't good. The roll out needs to be simplified. AC knows my flying patterns and my spend. It has all the data on me. Why can't it just send me a quick email that says. Based upon your flying and spend pattern of 2019 you would qualify for Gold or Silver or peon status in 2021. You would have qualified after flight 4 or something like that? When a service provider makes things complicated, busy people won't waste time and will pick the product that appears to be the best value. The new AC plan does not encourage me to pick AC.
Twickenham and TTC900Rocket like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
One of the main reasons why I flew with AC was to maintain status so that I could get the premium service on my domestic flights.I don't know if I will have that.
If all you want is premium service on domestic flights - assuming your income qualifies, get a VIP card. Priority services, check (baggage, zone 2 boarding, check-in + NEXUS), lounge access check. You can be free!
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Based upon your flying and spend pattern of 2019 you would qualify for Gold or Silver or peon status in 2021. You would have qualified after flight 4 or something like that? When a service provider makes things complicated, busy people won't waste time and will pick the product that appears to be the best value. The new AC plan does not encourage me to pick AC.
Based on your flying and spend pattern of 2019, you will earn the exact same status at the exact same time.

I'm not sure how they could have made that more clear.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I know the feeling, but its on a Dash 300. AC stopped using Q400s to YSB
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by acysb87
I know the feeling, but its on a Dash 300. AC stopped using Q400s to YSB
OOH, a 300, sorry about that ; my least favourite aircraft.
Guessing you likely are on the "AQD well ahead of AQM/AQS" balance too given that situation much like I have always been - is that correct?. I leave it to others to debate if we are deserving or not.
I still haven't figured out whether the new system will be any benefit but to be frank I haven't had the time to sit down and fully digest it. I am sure that the recent points rebate offers and current redemption schedule will blow away the miles cost after Nov 8, so we have been spending like a drunken AE sailor on recent and upcoming flights.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, Mar Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Aeroplan points accruel on international, premium cabin flights:

Based on the recent announcements, it is clear that AC wants to "reward" pax who spend a lot of money on expensive, short-haul flights while offering far fewer benefits to travelelrs on long-haul, international flights.

At the same time, AC has invested a lot of resources to attract international travellers, and in particular sixth-freedom traffic, during the last few years.

As a SE for eight consecutive years, my travel is almost exclusively international, booked in Latitude / Premium Economy / Business Class.

According to the new AE miles earning system, I would earn 60%-70% fewer AE miles.

While directly linking AE miles earning to spend may make sense (or not), it fails to take into account that international travellers have the most flexibility to choose between airlines and FFPs.

May I suggest that AC introduce a higher multiplier (4x/5x) for Latitude / Premium Economy / business class fares? Or offer any sort of incentive for choosing an AC operated flight over another airline when booking an international itinerary in PE/J?
Same situation with me! The new program seems to be geared to attracting new members and awarding higher spend withing NA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.