Itinerary changed by Air Canada

Old Aug 15, 20, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Itinerary changed by Air Canada

As I was getting ready for my return flight from Stockholm to Vancouver did I notice on my mobile AC app that the itin had been changed to ARN LHR YYZ YVR.
It was originally booked as ARN FRA YVR. This change would add 1.5 hr of wait and 5 hr extra flight time. Yikes!
Is it now general practice for AC to alter a passenger's itin just by posting on his mobile app without a separate email of explanation and notification ?
Old Aug 15, 20, 2:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P25, Skymiles, Accor Silver, Hilton gold
Yup, they keep cancelling flights, so existing bookings just get rerouted via other routes still operating. This is why it’s so struggling to fly these days.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 15, 20, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Understand their struggle, not a problem these days. Just thought they could have communicated better
Old Aug 15, 20, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Since 1A, I have always received emails for schedule changes booked through AC.

Did you book through AC, or some other website?
Old Aug 15, 20, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Yes, booked on their website. Checked older emails just to confirm I did not miss any.
Old Aug 15, 20, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
I'm still getting itinerary change emails on a flight that AC cancelled on me a month(ish) ago for the legs that were not cancelled. Kind of amusing, but I did have to call AC to make sure it was truly cancelled.
tecate55 and FlY2XS like this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Did you check your spam folder? I've been inundated with schedule change e-mails; I'm not sure there are any major schedule changes for which I've not gotten an e-mail.

To explicitly answer your original question, no, it's not general practice to change itineraries without informing passengers, and it would be surprising if you hadn't received an e-mail at some point.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan Diamond, AC Altitude E35K, Marriott Gold, Enterprise Gold, Nexus/GE
I've always found AC to be good at sending the change e-mails. Maybe a little too good. One particular recent e-mail, it took a bit to figure out what actually changed. My flight number was the same. The aircraft was the same. My seat selection was still intact. The departure time was the same. They reduced the flight time and arrival time by 8 minutes. It would be nice if the e-mail would highlight what actually changed, and not just show the new status.
Adam Smith, Twickenham and Aselwyn like this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC
Had a few of those where it takes too much work to see what changed. Used to just ignore them, but these days it might tell you leg 1 is leaving after leg 2.
Old Aug 16, 20, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Not in spam or junk mail. Strange. Never had this before. I guess in these days of air travel, it's just a little minor hiccup.
Old Aug 16, 20, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
And you're sure you didn't receive it and delete it by accident?

It's odd, because as cow said, since they transitioned to Amadeus (last November), it has been pretty consistent. Before that, it wasn't, and things like this definitely could fall through the cracks with no e-mail, but since, it has been quite good. Minus the above-mentioned issues with not highlighting what has actually changed.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 17, 20, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Iím amused by a schedule change I have received.

Return was changed to several days later whoch wouldnít work for me.

Several hours later an email email comes through that the outbound has been canceled all together, so as it stands there is an unworkable return flight from a city AC tells me they canít get me to.

Aeroplan booking fwiw. Ridiculous all the same.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Mystery solved.
I usually do all flight bookings myself however this trip was booked by my wife on the AC web through her account.
AC actually did send notification about the change of itinerary but only to her email account. She noticed the change but thought I would have received the same message as passenger.
Guess AC only email changes to the purchaser but not passenger ?
Anyways, thanks for all the responses.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by MikeAlphaTango View Post
Guess AC only email changes to the purchaser but not passenger ?
Correct. Anyone with the PNR loaded to the app will get a notification from the app, but e-mails only go to the primary passenger.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: