Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Why is there ever any need to book a return as opposed to 2 one-ways? Stop-over is per bound now, isn't it?
I booked two one ways pre-pandemic. Outbound was cancelled by AC. They rebooked me to depart two days later. I asked for the return to be moved by two days (both non-refundable fare). They refused because they were separate files.

At the time the advice on FT was, “why book one ways”? In my situation, I grabbed the flights when they came up since the route typically sold out.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I booked two one ways pre-pandemic. Outbound was cancelled by AC. They rebooked me to depart two days later. I asked for the return to be moved by two days (both non-refundable fare). They refused because they were separate files.
I don't want to sound like " shoulda, coulda..." , but that sounds like a HUCA situation.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I don't want to sound like " shoulda, coulda..." , but that sounds like a HUCA situation.

I actually saw their point — not that I liked it. However, I got the last laugh (if you can call it that).

Several months later due to the reality of Covid, return flight cancelled. I got transferred to a 787 two days later and no fees. Of course, would have preferred no Covid and original itinerary.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Does the new program still give us the Bistro coupon codes? Can't find them anywhere. Am I just blind?
Old May 17, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: A3, AC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Due to covid and the uncertainty related to flight schedules, SQ is currently blocking all award space to *A partners.
Gotcha, thanks!
Old May 17, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ride red
Does the new program still give us the Bistro coupon codes? Can't find them anywhere. Am I just blind?
No they are gone. If you had some before that haven't expired you can still use them by calling in

To make up for that the bistro codes are gone SEs are supposed to get free snacks and drinks but that isn't in force yet
Old May 18, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I'm new to AC and AP having bought points in the recent sale - when searching for awards on the AC website it seems you can only search a single day at a time - is there a way to do an award search over a week/month? Of course I know I can use UA's site but that does not necessarily show all options which would be offered by AC (e.g. some routings and EY). So far I have found using the AC "method" on AwardNexus this easiest but was wondering if there is a way to do this directly on the AC site.

I also struck a problem booking an award recently - when using a foreign issued credit card the payment page errored out with an editing error on the address field (did not like the format of the postcode) - the only way around this was to enter a Canadian address which (surprisingly) my bank did not object to (ie transaction was approved). After the initial error the seats I was attempting to book 'disappeared' but re-appeared after I rebooted my computer.
Old May 18, 2021, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pschafer
I'm new to AC and AP having bought points in the recent sale - when searching for awards on the AC website it seems you can only search a single day at a time - is there a way to do an award search over a week/month? Of course I know I can use UA's site but that does not necessarily show all options which would be offered by AC (e.g. some routings and EY). So far I have found using the AC "method" on AwardNexus this easiest but was wondering if there is a way to do this directly on the AC site.
At this point you can unfortunately only search for AE awards one day at a time.

AC plans to roll out a calendar search option "sometime in 2021" (probably later than sooner).
pschafer likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:42 pm

Aeroplan redemption questions

Does anyone know how Aeroplan redemption chart works?

I'm looking at YVR - YZP one way ticket in June 2021, the actual miles should be less than 500 miles and according to the redemption chart the required points should be 6,000 - 10,000 points.

However, when I try to book, it's showing me 17,800 points required?
Old May 24, 2021, 11:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 68flyer
Does anyone know how Aeroplan redemption chart works?

I'm looking at YVR - YZP one way ticket in June 2021, the actual miles should be less than 500 miles and according to the redemption chart the required points should be 6,000 - 10,000 points.

However, when I try to book, it's showing me 17,800 points required?
Welcome to FT

Aeroplan no longer has an award chart. Prices are now dynamic. The ranges shown in those tables are indicative, and what you actually have to pay can be within them, or more, or less. Often more, rarely less.

If you see very high cash fares, it's unlikely that the price will be within the quoted range.
tcook052 and YOWgary like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:49 pm

Thank you so much for the quick answer. FT is great!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Welcome to FT

Aeroplan no longer has an award chart. Prices are now dynamic. The ranges shown in those tables are indicative, and what you actually have to pay can be within them, or more, or less. Often more, rarely less.

If you see very high cash fares, it's unlikely that the price will be within the quoted range.
I disagree with your bolded sentence (though the rest is perfect). They definitely have one. I'd would (and have) asked, "why bother?"

The link in my signature is also a relatively accurate award chart for Aeroplan.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:06 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The link in my signature is also a relatively accurate award chart for Aeroplan.
Nice link, but it's missing a "Book Now" button.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I disagree with your bolded sentence (though the rest is perfect). They definitely have one.
They can call that thing a "chart", and I can call my car a Ferrari 250 LM, but neither would be an accurate description

I do consult that, about as often as I consult the official "chart"
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:12 am

Please note that, in our continued efforts to try to retire this thread, or at least de-clutter it somewhat (due to member comments about information being hard to find within it), a new master thread for the Amex Aeroplan cards has been launched:

Master Thread American Express Aeroplan cards

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.