Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:09 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Sure, but aren't X and I fares dedicated to award redemptions, hence "award space"?
There may still be X and I buckets for availability to other programs, but the question to which @canadiancow was responding was about booking with Aeroplan points and was not specific to X/I. For Aeroplan, if there are revenue seats for sale, there should be points seats for sale, hence "reward space" is not a thing.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:57 am

I just booked 2 x MEL x YVR - YXC and return Jan, Feb 2022 in J for 330,800 + CA$313. The booking errored out on the payments page with a postcode issue (didn't seem able to handle a 4 digit Australian postcode), so had to call to book. Agent waived booking fee due to webpage error. I've been looking for a couple of months, and it appears that Australian awards have started to open up for just after Christmas now.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
I just booked 2 x MEL x YVR - YXC and return Jan, Feb 2022 in J for 330,800 + CA$313. The booking errored out on the payments page with a postcode issue (didn't seem able to handle a 4 digit Australian postcode), so had to call to book. Agent waived booking fee due to webpage error. I've been looking for a couple of months, and it appears that Australian awards have started to open up for just after Christmas now.
That's a solid price for return J from AUS.

Do award prices tend to be cheaper for one way and return routings ex-AUS (AUS > CAN) than the other way around?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
That's a solid price for return J from AUS.

Do award prices tend to be cheaper for one way and return routings ex-AUS (AUS > CAN) than the other way around?
Was the same price each way.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Some posts on SQD discrepancies have been moved to the thread dedicated to that topic.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old May 6, 2021, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
A couple of interesting comments posted today:

"The new Air Canada Aeroplan program lets members earn elite status through everyday activity, not just flying. Crediting shopping transactions, credit card spending, and other forms of points-earning can give you better treatment with Air Canada, and even incremental benefits with some of its partners – without ever setting foot on a plane

......Earning status for things other than flying makes a lot of sense. Most things other than flying have higher margins than flying does. Selling miles is more profitable for an airline than selling seats. It’s strange in a way that this hasn’t fully caught on, since it isn’t a new idea. Fifteen years ago US Airways ran an end of year ‘Everything Counts’ promotion where members could mileage run with the airline’s partners instead of flying to achieve end of year status.

The limitation of Air Canada’s approach is that you can only earn the lowest tier of status this way – and doing so doesn’t give you a head start towards higher tiers, either. Earning upper status tiers through a combination of flying and other forms of program engagement seems like a next logical step, but they haven’t gotten there yet."

article
https://viewfromthewing.com/you-can-...ing-uber-eats/
Old May 6, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by 24left
The limitation of Air Canada’s approach is that you can only earn the lowest tier of status this way – and doing so doesn’t give you a head start towards higher tiers, either. Earning upper status tiers through a combination of flying and other forms of program engagement seems like a next logical step, but they haven’t gotten there yet."
The status qualification boosts from CC spend do give you a head start on higher tiers, you still need flying to get the SQD but the additional SQM/SQS do help
unclepants likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
The status qualification boosts from CC spend do give you a head start on higher tiers, you still need flying to get the SQD but the additional SQM/SQS do help
@TechnoTourist
Your quote from my post looks as if I wrote it but was in fact part of what I had quoted from the article. Thanks.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Today's fun comes in the form of Multi-City award Latitude bookings!

I've replicated the same issue identically on multiple routes, works the same each time, and twice now I've called in to have an agent do the booking, they've had to go back to the Help Desk twice to get it pushed through, and the tickets still show up as Latitude (X) but work just like regular Latitude (can be eUpped, refunded etc).

Basically, if you search AAA-BBB return, or AAA-CCC return, you can book any fare class you like.

If you run a multi-city search with AAA-BBB outbound and CCC-AAA return, you can book any fare class you like, but it'll force you into Economy Standard on the return, with no ability to select Flex or Latitude, though it *will* allow a few Business Lowest bookings that don't correspond to any availability pattern I can see.

Why is there ever any need to book a return as opposed to 2 one-ways? Stop-over is per bound now, isn't it?
Old May 12, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Why is there ever any need to book a return as opposed to 2 one-ways? Stop-over is per bound now, isn't it?
Application of a Priority Reward is a big one. Avoiding multiple $39 partner booking fees. For those who aren't SE, once change/cancellation fees come back, paying one fee instead of multiple fees. Ability to use a change on one bound to help make changes to another bound... There are a few reasons.
unclepants likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Application of a Priority Reward is a big one. Avoiding multiple $39 partner booking fees. For those who aren't SE, once change/cancellation fees come back, paying one fee instead of multiple fees. Ability to use a change on one bound to help make changes to another bound... There are a few reasons.
In this case Priority Reward is the compelling reason, but any one of the others alone would be just as valid.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Having been burnt once, when booking a round-trip for my in-laws -life got in the way and they were unable to use the return tickets, only
for me to find out the unused portion was non-refundable. I have been very leery of round-trips since.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Having been burnt once, when booking a round-trip for my in-laws -life got in the way and they were unable to use the return tickets, only
for me to find out the unused portion was non-refundable. I have been very leery of round-trips since.
I'm not sure that's still the case under the new program.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Let's say I want to book YYZ-EWR-FRA-CPH with all segments on partner airlines, the total in J should be 60K according to the Aeroplan website but if I try to piece together that flight using the multi-city tool (YYZ-EWR, EWR-FRA-CPH), the total is over 75K. Would an agent be able to piece together the itinerary for 60k if I call in?
Old May 12, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Let's say I want to book YYZ-EWR-FRA-CPH with all segments on partner airlines, the total in J should be 60K according to the Aeroplan website but if I try to piece together that flight using the multi-city tool (YYZ-EWR, EWR-FRA-CPH), the total is over 75K. Would an agent be able to piece together the itinerary for 60k if I call in?
YYZ-EWR-FRA-CPH (on *A) should price at 70k miles in J since the cost is based on the cumulative distance of all segments.

If the first segment were on AC, the price could be marginally lower or (substantially) higher based on dynamic pricing of the 1st segment.
canadiancow and nexusCFX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.