Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Nothing stopping AC from offering the option if they wanted to!
Agree.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: AC 75k
I will have to go back and dissect T+C. Buddy and companion aren't the same I guess. Still I haven't received either one despite a new card in October and hitting spend threshold for both in 2020.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I will have to go back and dissect T+C. Buddy and companion aren't the same I guess. Still I haven't received either one despite a new card in October and hitting spend threshold for both in 2020.
Benefits document with T&Cs on CIBC VIP. Page 9 talks about the companion pass.

Welcome to your CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege* Card
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So since they're decoupling SQM and Aeroplan points, does anyone know how J tickets are treated if you're seated in an all Y cabin? Previously:

Booking Flex, Comfort, Latitude, 100, 115 or 125 on all segments. In PY, you'd get 125% in the Y segments as well since they're book it in B.

But if you flew J for say YVR-YYZ-DTW, you'd get 150% for the first segment and 100% for the second (coupled with the insult of having to pay for a Y+ seat if you didn't have status). Wondering if they've fixed this by giving you 150% SQM for all segments.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:47 am

Programs: AC 75k
If I book a revenue ticket from my Aeroplan login, the booking always shows my status as 25K. Has anyone else had this issue? My points bookings and the app show E35, so I assume that it is working properly, but wonder if Eups in the future might be affected.
Also, still waiting for my email telling me that my E35 has been extended. My wife got hers telling her that her gifted status would extend a while back. No idea if they are related.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:50 pm

Question on booking award on new program

First-time booking on the new dynamic pricing. What will happen if there is a partner in the segment? Is the segment with the partner being priced as part of the total distance?

For example, HAN-ICN-YVR-YYZ

Using the multiple segments option, I select
* HAN-ICN = 30K in J
* ICN-LAX-YYZ = 85K (last segment in PY)
but the total comes to 126?????

Instead, can I just use the one-way option to find my segments? Is there a way to know what the price would be beforehand?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by FFSaver
First-time booking on the new dynamic pricing. What will happen if there is a partner in the segment? Is the segment with the partner being priced as part of the total distance?

For example, HAN-ICN-YVR-YYZ

Using the multiple segments option, I select
* HAN-ICN = 30K in J
* ICN-LAX-YYZ = 85K (last segment in PY)
but the total comes to 126?????

Instead, can I just use the one-way option to find my segments? Is there a way to know what the price would be beforehand?
The Multi City option on the website will treat this as two separate legs, even if you're only on the ground at ICN for an hour.

Do you not get the ICN-YYZ legs you're looking for if you search HAN-YYZ? Is there any particular reason you're detouring to LAX? For example, I'm seeing HAN-NRT-YYZ and HAN-IST-YYZ as 85K options on the dummy dates I searched.

If you're not getting the legs you want when searching as a one-way, but you know the space is available on the individual flights, you'll have to call in.

As for mixed-carrier pricing, it depends on several factors, but generally speaking any Air Canada segments whose points cost is above the baseline rate, will have any such additional points cost added, pro-rated to their proportion to the whole trip. I've got to go dig through my notes before I can provide an example of exactly how that math works.

Last edited by YOWgary; Apr 11, 2021 at 9:55 pm
Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Listing this here as it's going to be relevant to a lot of West Coast Aeroplan users: It looks like Turkish's YVR-IST route is finally launching in May, after nearly a year of (understandable) COVID-related delay.

https://biv.com/article/2021/04/turk...-flights-may-2
Must be true.
I heard the flights advertised on the radio this morning.
FlY2XS likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:17 am

The Multi City option on the website will treat this as two separate legs, even if you're only on the ground at ICN for an hour.

Do you not get the ICN-YYZ legs you're looking for if you search HAN-YYZ? Is there any particular reason you're detouring to LAX? For example, I'm seeing HAN-NRT-YYZ and HAN-IST-YYZ as 85K options on the dummy dates I searched.

If you're not getting the legs you want when searching as a one-way, but you know the space is available on the individual flights, you'll have to call in.

As for mixed-carrier pricing, it depends on several factors, but generally speaking any Air Canada segments whose points cost is above the baseline rate, will have any such additional points cost added, pro-rated to their proportion to the whole trip. I've got to go dig through my notes before I can provide an example of exactly how that math works.
Thanks for the reply YOWgary .

I omitted to say that I need 5 tickets so TK is not an option as they only seem to release 4 seats in J. In fact, my options are pretty limited for 5 pax for next March (2022).

Regarding the LAX stop, I think I searched using 4 pax and that's what it showed... using 5 pax and the search tool doesn't even show up... not a good example..

The reason I need to break it up is because (when searching for 5 pax) HAN-ICN only shows 4 in J and 4 in Y.

When I do a straight search HAN-YYZ (for 5), it gives me HAN-TPE-YVR-YYZ for 116.5K.

I found something weird with the new search engine:
ICN-NRT-YVR-YYZ in J (90% in J) for 87.8K
However, if I try to cut the ICN-NRT leg and start in NRT-YVR-YYZ, the cost jumps to 273.5K!!!!!!!

So pricing out the trip using segments, I have these options:
HAN-ICN: 30K in J and 15K in Y (4+1) on OZ
ICN-NRT -YVR-YYZ in J (90% in J) for 87.8K where ICN-NRT on OZ and rest on AC
or
ICN-LAX: 75K in J on OZ
LAX-YYZ: 55.9K in J on AC
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply YOWgary .
The reason I need to break it up is because (when searching for 5 pax) HAN-ICN only shows 4 in J and 4 in Y.

When I do a straight search HAN-YYZ (for 5), it gives me HAN-TPE-YVR-YYZ for 116.5K.

ICN-LAX: 75K in J on OZ
LAX-YYZ: 55.9K in J on AC
This is a pretty niche case, I don't know of any airline search engine in the world that can handle a mixed-cabin for only 1/5 passengers on a PNR, though I would bet if you booked 4x HAN-ICN-LAX-YYZ and then one HAN-ICN-LAX-YYZ you'd end up with the result you want, just split across two PNRs.

A good phone agent *should* be able to book what you want on one PNR, for the cost of HAN-YYZ.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is a 25k redemption. The previous screen listed 25k. Then it had this selected by default. Be careful.
bcnfish likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:18 pm

I have a case where the math doesn't add up for the multi-segment option:

2 One-way searches:

5 * (93.3K + 12.5K) =529K + $650 taxes (5*(59+71))

Multi-segment search:

Not sure how it got 599K for 5 pax since its (96.3k+12.5K)*5 = 544K????
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:04 pm

INot sure how it got 599K for 5 pax since its (96.3k+12.5K)*5 = 544K????
This one looks like a bug, I can reproduce it consistently and despite my first guess, it doesn't have anything to do with the number of people flying, or there being 4 tickets at one price and 1 at another.

Keep in mind that the pricing I'm seeing is a bit different due to status level and credit card, but the same error occurs anyway - the search-result price shows up at 92.1K, but by the time you get to the checkout page it's jumped to 100,900.

Stranger still, it's failed to charge me 5,000 for the multi-day stop.

Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
This one looks like a bug, I can reproduce it consistently and despite my first guess, it doesn't have anything to do with the number of people flying, or there being 4 tickets at one price and 1 at another.

Keep in mind that the pricing I'm seeing is a bit different due to status level and credit card, but the same error occurs anyway - the search-result price shows up at 92.1K, but by the time you get to the checkout page it's jumped to 100,900.

Stranger still, it's failed to charge me 5,000 for the multi-day stop.
But it's not a multi-day stop, it's a 3-hour stop, so there shouldn't be a 5K stopover charge. Right?

I was wondering whether the issue was that because the stop was so short, when you go through to the payment page, it recalculates the fare based on YYZ-HAN O/D somehow.

But when I search for YYZ-HAN on my phone, I can't get it to offer me the same itinerary, and pricing is much higher for anything comparable, e.g. YYZ-YVR-ICN-HAN is 169.6K.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 15, 2021 at 10:21 pm
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
But it's not a multi-day stop, it's a 3-hour stop, so there shouldn't be a 5K stopover charge. Right?
Nah, my mistake - I overlooked the part where it leaves Toronto late at night, and loses another day between origin and destination, so I thought their stop was intentionally ~29 hours.
Adam Smith likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.