Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Was there a breakdown shown during the booking process? (I'm asking because I don't know)
When you book a points ticket now, it's like a revenue ticket - as you select each leg, it shows you the price. So it might show you 35K for YYZ-YVR and then 42K for YVR-YYZ, for example.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
When you book a points ticket now, it's like a revenue ticket - as you select each leg, it shows you the price. So it might show you 35K for YYZ-YVR and then 42K for YVR-YYZ, for example.
Right, ok. So there must be a way to see the breakdown on the receipt as well once booked?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Right, ok. So there must be a way to see the breakdown on the receipt as well once booked?
I just tried making a booking, and no, it doesn't show a breakdown.

It's a bit weird, because for a revenue ticket, it does show the base fares separately, at least. But points, lumped in together.

Points ticket (YYC-YVR round trip):

Revenue ticket (YYC-EWR round trip):

milesforhire likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
I just tried making a booking, and no, it doesn't show a breakdown.

It's a bit weird, because for a revenue ticket, it does show the base fares separately, at least. But points, lumped in together.

Points ticket (YYC-YVR round trip):

Revenue ticket (YYC-EWR round trip):
Hmm, maybe this is just one of those things that fell through the cracks... simple oversight or intentional? Maybe some weird constraint.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:56 am

Hmm, maybe this is just one of those things that fell through the cracks... simple oversight or intentional? Maybe some weird constraint.
Hard to say. Either way, it would definitely be nice if they changed it.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard to say. Either way, it would definitely be nice if they changed it.
Yeah.

Having said that, I still need to catch up with the new rules. The anecdotal info posted in this forum regarding some of the variable pricing with points... some of the values look pretty darn good, like what you posted above... and then there's Australia
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE
Yeah.

Having said that, I still need to catch up with the new rules. The anecdotal info posted in this forum regarding some of the variable pricing with points... some of the values look pretty darn good, like what you posted above... and then there's Australia
I have to call customer support anyway. I will see if they have access to it.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I have to call customer support anyway. I will see if they have access to it.
Ok. Let us know what they say.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:19 pm

No breakdown of the points on the desktop site when you pull up the booking either. To answer TheCanuckian's question, I can't find any way to get that information post-booking online. Might be possible to get it by phoning in. Edit: I see while I was posting that, you said you were going to phone anyway, so please let us know if they can do it

Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Adam, send me the booking ref.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No breakdown of the points on the desktop site when you pull up the booking either. To answer TheCanuckian's question, I can't find any way to get that information post-booking online. Might be possible to get it by phoning in. Edit: I see while I was posting that, you said you were going to phone anyway, so please let us know if they can do it
Perhaps it could be hidden somewhere in the confirmation email pdf? Yeah, grasping at straws now
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:24 pm

Perhaps it could be hidden somewhere in the confirmation email pdf? Yeah, grasping at straws now
No, I already checked that. For both points and revenue tickets, what's in the body of the e-mail is only the summary. The difference being that, on a revenue ticket, the PDF attachment has the details.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I already checked that. For both points and revenue tickets, what's in the body of the e-mail is only the summary. The difference being that, on a revenue ticket, the PDF attachment has the details.
Hmm, ok. I see cow might be looking into something above...
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE
Ok. Let us know what they say.
Done.

If you want to see the breakdown of points for inbound and outbound, you need to call in. It's not currently visible via the app or web interface. The customer service rep had to call her own support to get the numbers.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Done.

If you want to see the breakdown of points for inbound and outbound, you need to call in. It's not currently visible via the app or web interface. The customer service rep had to call her own support to get the numbers.
Thanks. I guess for now we just have to take note prior to finalizing the booking, unless we want to call in...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.