Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
@philelite is going to post a couple examples, but YVR-PVR round-trip in J was something like:
SE: 47.1k
P25K+CC: 46.6k
SE+CC: 46.1k

I think both CCs were the mid-tiers.

So in this one example, the credit card wasn't significant, but there was definitely a discount.
No status with CC is also 47.1k.
No status, no CC is 56.0k.

So having something is pretty good, but the difference between a CC and an SE with CC is pretty negligible on this one pair of flights.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
One way with stopover is not working for the promised 5000 miles - its simply adding the two legs searched.

Asia is looking dire. Anything involving AC TPAC is >200k in J

Mixed cabin itineraries popping up where 4% is in business (something like EWR-YYZ on a ticket from India), with no ability to filter out
I searched for YYZ-TYO for next year (not around the Olympics) and saw availability for 69k one way. No status and no CC.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by bcnfish
There is no I availability showing on United. Revenue price for the ticket is the same as when I booked - $1602
If AC pulled I, then you're at the mercy of Aeroplan pricing, whatever it may be
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by sameruval
I searched for YYZ-TYO for next year (not around the Olympics) and saw availability for 69k one way. No status and no CC.
YVR-TYO end of February (Round Trip, lowest fare) 25k/no CC-

Economy
Air transportation charges (in points) 57,200
Taxes, fees and charges $98.27

Premium
Air transportation charges (in points) 70,500
Taxes, fees and charges $98.27

That's not too bad.. but depending on dates, amount of points varies greatly.

Ron.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Don't worry, the prices are more predictable now. They said so.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:25 pm

Now that aeroplan point booking is integrated into AC's search/booking engine. I don't seem to be able to search for any first class flights anymore.

Of course things are a bit broken by covid and they don't usually drop First class reward space that early, but I remember I was able to book ANA first class NRT-ORD 5 months in advance back in May.
No luck so far.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay I wrote some code, and have determined that I am missing SQD for:

1. SFO-YVR (or YVR-SFO) on SFO-YVR-TPE-YVR-SFO in February.
2. The 1000 SQD for Travel At Home from May
3. A YVR-YYZ Comfort fare from July

All my FP bookings have the SQD.

But my transaction history doesn't go back beyond early August.
I am missing about $1000 SQD so it could be the Travel at Home $1000.

Plus missing SQD from recent flights (Oct 22) , but they have not posted yet.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Leyland1989
Now that aeroplan point booking is integrated into AC's search/booking engine. I don't seem to be able to search for any first class flights anymore.

Of course things are a bit broken by covid and they don't usually drop First class reward space that early, but I remember I was able to book ANA first class NRT-ORD 5 months in advance back in May.
No luck so far.
Answering my own question.

The "First Class" Column will appear when there are First class seats available.
LHR-AUH on Etihad in First class can be redeemed.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 10:49 pm Reason: Remove large quoted image
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leyland1989

No luck so far.
There is definitely F, when available it shows up in the last column.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 10:49 pm Reason: Remove large quoted image
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Anyone been successful in booking for more than 1 pax on this revamped site. I can do 1 but any extra pax and I get an error message, irrespective of destination and travel date
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok, so stupid question someone just asked me, which CCs give the discounted price? Are the basic cards included? AMEX?
I thought it was The Infinite TD Visa (and of course Privilige) and euqivalent CIBC tiers. Is the basic Platinum also good for discounts?

It appears that SE is 12.5% off, slightly less for cc.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by djskynet
Anyone been successful in booking for more than 1 pax on this revamped site. I can do 1 but any extra pax and I get an error message, irrespective of destination and travel date
I had trouble booking a 4 pax reward earlier today, I got some error at the final payment page that basically was gibberish (think it said something not found or valid and had a few numbers in brackets) repeatedly, finally I re-inputted my credit card information fully (not using whatever they pre-saved or any type of browser validation auto population) and that worked.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok, so stupid question someone just asked me, which CCs give the discounted price? Are the basic cards included? AMEX?
I thought it was The Infinite TD Visa (and of course Privilige) and euqivalent CIBC tiers. Is the basic Platinum also good for discounts?

It appears that SE is 12.5% off, slightly less for cc.
All cards offer a discount, but the amount of the discount may vary based on how premium the card is. Come back in a week when we have more data.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Either the search engine is very much broken or something very fishy is going on.

The cost of awards seems to vary greatly depending on whether a *A sector is added (which should not be the case as long as one stays within the same mileage band).

E.g. April 8

YYJ-YYZ-FRA(J) on AC 65100 miles
YYJ-YYZ-FRA(J) on AC (same flights) connecting to LH J FRA-DUS 85000 miles
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:36 pm

Another data point for P25+CC VI
today lowest YYC-NRT-YYC in J: 104.7k

And to compare between old and new charts (same travel dates)
Pre Nov 8th: YYC-NRT-YYC in J: 150k + CAD102.98 and with points: 164.71k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.