Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I just checked AMEX and I don't see anything on their website about their revamped cards. I'm really curious what they're going to offer.
American Express has its own release on AMEX Aeroplan cards due to land later this monring...
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:35 am

What’s partner booking fee and third party charges? Is that the new YQ?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
So My wife and I can pool our miles together for two returning Business seats if we are short the Mileage or points if I am reading that right??
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by kraftdinner_
I don't see anything different about reaching the various status levels (other than CC spend now counting with the "qualification boosts") so I'm assuming it will remain the same. All the changes seem to be about earning and burning points. I'm really hoping they keep the 50% lower AQD (or SQD now) requirement for those based overseas, as $20k/year on 014 tickets is quite hard if you're not in Canada.
Why bother if it's $20k for all members when there are easier programs?

Originally Posted by Ramz
So My wife and I can pool our miles together for two returning Business seats if we are short the Mileage or points if I am reading that right??
That's how I'm reading it.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 4:47 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Thanks for the kinds words but this time around I can't take any credit for speed, it's just that like most other bloggers I had this under embargo, and you'll already see the coverage of other bloggers rolling out now (it's actually fascinating to me, as a writer, to compare articles and see the angle each person takes, the treatment they adopt and what they choose to highlight).

Anyway, I suspect you'll find that as with so many frequent flyer programs when they are 'enhanced' the devil lies in the details, and the details in turn will be revealed only as more and more of the miles-and-points community do some deep dives over the coming days and perhaps even weeks.
I'm pretty sure you're first. Even on Google, you were first. lol. Other bloggers are finally getting around with their articles now.

Originally Posted by djsflynn
American Express has its own release on AMEX Aeroplan cards due to land later this monring...
Approximately what time? I'm surprised you know your timezones so well. I don't see anything right now and it's 6:45 AM EDT.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 4:23 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ryanpower8
Will these be new cards—which would presumably mean that those who have had the old ones recently would be eligible for a welcome bonus?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Chart, since I forgot to post: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...s-chart-en.pdf

YYT do is permanently dead since that was a strict deval.
Fairly big devaluation on partner flights. I guess that is not surprising.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Will these be new cards—which would presumably mean that those who have had the old ones recently would be eligible for a welcome bonus?
It'll be up to the card issuer.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm reading that AMEX will announce the details of their cards at about 10 AM EDT.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
AC is quintessentially moving in the direction of most North American airlines: a cashback program rather than a frequent flyer program. For people flying regularly it would make sense to stick to OZ for STAR status/earn, for all the rest (credit card spend mainly plus partners) it resembles a cashback credit card...
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Approximately what time? I'm surprised you know your timezones so well. I don't see anything right now and it's 6:45 AM EDT.
Don't have an approx time, sorry, all I knows is "this morning"...
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Pleasantly surprised.

This has all the makings of a great credit card rewards program.

Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Pleasantly surprised.

This has all the makings of a great credit card rewards program.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not impressed.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:27 am
Suspended

So tldr number of miles is going up while YQ is being eliminated.

Called it.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
So tldr number of miles is going up while YQ is being eliminated.

Called it.
lol! I think a lot of people were expecting this. I'm not surprised either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.