FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Where Can I Take My Daughter In Winter? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2023018-where-can-i-take-my-daughter-winter.html)

TheCanuckian Aug 8, 2020 10:00 am

Where Can I Take My Daughter In Winter?

I promised my daughter that as a graduation gift (high school, that is) I'd take her anywhere Aeroplan could get us. We were booked for southern Europe over March Break, but that fell apart for obvious reasons. I rebooked us to New Zealand/Australia in December, but that now also seems extremely unlikely. (I'd give New Zealand a 0% chance of being open to Canadians by then and Australia maybe a 5% chance.)

She's about to begin university, so the next time we could do anything would be December. We have thought about Europe, but neither of us are big into outdoor winter sports. We are wanderers, so would ideally rent a car and drive far and wide to have different cultural experiences and see beautiful landscapes. But a European winter doesn't seem like the best time to do that. Neither are we into beaches and resorts, so while all those Caribbean routes will be open, that's not really our thing.

I suppose our best bet may be to try for spring break or even summer of 2021. But I thought I'd throw it to the brain trust here. Can you think of a place an 18-year-old girl and her dad might go together in December, that would be scenic, interesting, not-too-cold, open to Canadians, and not too COVIDy? Picky picky, I know.

(Further info: I've got SuperElite status so have access to Priority Rewards; I have enough Aeroplan miles to get us anywhere in business class or first class.)

Sopwith Aug 8, 2020 10:17 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 32590501)
We are wanderers, so would ideally rent a car and drive far and wide to have different cultural experiences and see beautiful landscapes.

Machu Picchu? (Not a place to drive to, but it is a once in a lifetime, breathtaking experience.)

Edit: I just checked, and Peru is not the greatest COVID-free place right now. Save it for later.

https://worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bff09ccd72.jpg

Jagboi Aug 8, 2020 11:00 am

Vancouver Island?

TheCanuckian Aug 8, 2020 11:01 am

Machu Picchu? (Not a place to drive to, but it is a once in a lifetime, breathtaking experience.)
We had talked about visiting some South American countries, but it seems like COVID has taken pretty deep root in many of them…

sydneyracquelle Aug 8, 2020 12:07 pm

If the 14-day Cdn quarantine is still on you both might be stuck with Whistler😄

MSPeconomist Aug 8, 2020 12:31 pm

If you can get in by then, Spain is generally warmish even in winter. Barcelona is a fascinating city and you could rent a car for part of the time to explore different regions and their own cultures.

Portugal is another warmish possibility, although my impression is that the southern area basically closes in low season, so you could see Lisbon and then drive up to Porto, stopping in a couple historic/university/fishing towns along the way.

Turkey is currently open even to USA people, although most of the islands close for low season.

I've found that most of Japan and South Korea have springlike temperatures with beautiful fall leaves around USA Thanksgiving and Christmas. In the daytime, you can walk around in a wool sweater and/or light jacket, although there's a risk of snow of course.

TheCanuckian Aug 8, 2020 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32590797)
If you can get in by then, Spain is generally warmish even in winter. Barcelona is a fascinating city and you could rent a car for part of the time to explore different regions and their own cultures.

Portugal is another warmish possibility, although my impression is that the southern area basically closes in low season, so you could see Lisbon and then drive up to Porto, stopping in a couple historic/university/fishing towns along the way.

Turkey is currently open even to USA people, although most of the islands close for low season.

I've found that most of Japan and South Korea have springlike temperatures with beautiful fall leaves around USA Thanksgiving and Christmas. In the daytime, you can walk around in a wool sweater and/or light jacket, although there's a risk of snow of course.

That's really helpful. Thank you! I've been to Seoul around [Canadian] Thanksgiving and it was perfect. I'll look to see what it would be like in December. Japan, too. And yes, I'll look at Spain. Appreciate it!

YuropFlyer Aug 8, 2020 1:28 pm

I'd not call Spain to be "generally warmish even in winter". The South (Malaga), yes. But Barcelona, Madrid - they can see a fair bit of snow.

And I'd call day temperatures below 15C not as "generally warmish".

So, Southern Spain might be ok.

But if you're in that area, then I'd suggest Morocco. Still, some chance of chilling weather in winter, but quite a bit better than in Spain. Decent trecking in the Atlas mountains...

https://www.trekkinginmorocco.com/ (not suggesting that company, but they give a decent overview)

Besides that, my suggestion for 2020 would be to stay home. And wait for the vaccine. Really doubt much international travel is possible before we get our shots. Better enjoy your trip without masks and worry in 2021 or 2022 (hopefully not later..)

MSPeconomist Aug 8, 2020 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 32590884)
That's really helpful. Thank you! I've been to Seoul around [Canadian] Thanksgiving and it was perfect. I'll look to see what it would be like in December. Japan, too. And yes, I'll look at Spain. Appreciate it!

How long will the trip be?

I suspect you don't want to drive in Asia, but there's interesting stuff to do by train in Japan.

In Korea, the place I've always wanted to see is the DMZ/JCA but it seems to constantly be closed, either for political reasons or for swine flu in wild pigs last Thanksgiving IIRC. Also, I think Korea is generally colder than Japan, especially if you compare Tokyo and Seoul.

Hong Kong would be fascinating and warmer, but it currently mandates a quarantine in government facilities as well as an inconvenient testing procedure upon arrival even for their own citizens and residents. The political situation (protests, etc.) also seems unstable.

Singapore is also wonderful and very warm but appears essentially closed to foreign visitors.

Thailand? I'm not so sure about taking one's teenage daughter there, even though it's rich culturally.

Bali? Maybe that could work, but I don't know what their current entry requirements are.

Goaguy Aug 8, 2020 2:56 pm

Safari trip to Tanzania?
I don't belive its corona free, though their president says so. But definitely seems like it has spread very little in the country. Right now most things in Tz are business as usual, no lock down was ever imposed. Good thing about a safari trip is that you don't see many people.. Or if you fancy it, how about climbing Kilimanjaro? Or both?
But you'd have to be able to redeem on e.g. LX, TK or ET to fly Star Alliance to Tanzania.

songsc Aug 8, 2020 4:16 pm

While many have suggested some far more interesting options, I would say even in the worst case scenario where the second wave hits in the winter, driving around BC can be a good option too.

I am based in YYZ and I have taken many short weekend trips in the region since lockdown. I have visited many places I otherwise wouldn’t have visited.

I am typing this as I just finished a 20km walk along Niagara River, waiting for the train back to Toronto.

jazzsax Aug 8, 2020 7:21 pm

Jamaica.

Limited covid exposure, good protocols in place, and the country is beautiful. Either stay at a resort or rent an amazing villa on the ocean with a private beach, pool and pergola (I have the contact for one about an hour from Negril).

Have a driver take you all around the island (assuming the wandering restrictions are lifted) and enjoy!

Finkface Aug 8, 2020 8:41 pm

Zanzibar? And are you willing to quarantine for 14 days on return to Canada?

IAATM Aug 8, 2020 10:29 pm

Sicily, Cyprus, or Malta would all be nice, safe, and easy places to tour around for a week in December.

Cairo or Casablanca, maybe?

Sheikh Yerbooty Aug 9, 2020 4:03 am

Oman, simultaneously the pearl of the Middle East and a hidden gem. Lots of trekking to be had, perfect climate in the NH winter months, good snorkelling and diving and an interesting culture. Also has some of the nicest people in the Middle East.