Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Contact tracing: Whom do you trust - Dr. Henry or AC?

Contact tracing: Whom do you trust - Dr. Henry or AC?

Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I think this just started with posts making the assumption certain PNRs didn't have contact information, and some that said phone numbers may very well not be good for messaging vs email; PNRs contact is mandatory, and PNRs can wave and push to airline systems with an email as the first contact info line.

So all is possible, and AC is either not sharing all information due to legal/privacy issue, or deliberately holding it (because it actually has the information).

I see no reason why it would be the latter more than the former be honest. Let's not forget the airline is still run by real people that are just as concerned about COVID as anyone else.
I have seen no evidence that the safety requirements of society and passengers are not trumped by profit in the case of AC. They may be real people but their priority appears to be real dollars. I also see no evidence that they are collecting sufficient data to be useful to a health authority in contract tracing. Just an email or mobile phone number for one of the party is very clearly not enough.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ridefar
I have seen no evidence that the safety requirements of society and passengers are not trumped by profit in the case of AC. They may be real people but their priority appears to be real dollars. I also see no evidence that they are collecting sufficient data to be useful to a health authority in contract tracing. Just an email or mobile phone number for one of the party is very clearly not enough.
The health authority can easily force the issue. Have a team from Coastal Health meet an arriving flight at YVR and announce, everyone is on this flight is under quarantine and can not leave unit we have you complete declaration cards. Do that for one day and I am certain someone at AC will come to the conclusion not providing the data is undermining profits and scary for passengers.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
As for contact tracing. I have been flying around Europe in the past 6 weeks. Each country is different. For Italy and Switzerland, there is a form required to be filled out by every passenger on the plane indicating the contact information. These are kept for 30 days.

Thinking you can ask the airline to pull passenger contact info from passenger name records is unfortunately not really feasible because these records are created by systems all around the world and follow a standard structure for which the needed contact info is not required (and would be difficult to be forced to be required by one nation.) If it is important - then ask for forms to be filled out and kept hard copy.

I think they are expecting a bit much from AC and they have been a bit out of line in bashing them. I realize they are not getting what the would hope but they have not asked them to keep anything specific.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:42 pm

To be honest neither, but I think Canadian contact tracing is pretty decent.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 27, 2020 at 9:14 pm Reason: off topic
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
An AC Flash sent around to TA's today reminding them to ensure proper passenger contact info is obtained:

In order to support our public health authorities and contact trace quickly, it is a Transport Canada requirement that we have accurate names and/or phone numbers for every booking that you make. Thank you to those who have been diligently entering complete and correct contact information to date in accordance with government regulations.

In addition to all the regular contact information you have always recorded on PNRs, per Transport Canada it is mandatory to specifically enter customer contact details. We are monitoring these closely. These must be entered using the standard IATA SSRs:
  • SSR CTCE: customer email address
  • SSR CTCM: customer mobile number
  • SSR CTCR: customer has declined to provide information
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I feel like I've asked this already, but don't CTCE and CTCM get populated at check-in?

Can't AC take responsibility here and do this all themselves?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tcook052
An AC Flash sent around to TA's today reminding them to ensure proper passenger contact info is obtained:

In order to support our public health authorities and contact trace quickly, it is a Transport Canada requirement that we have accurate names and/or phone numbers for every booking that you make. Thank you to those who have been diligently entering complete and correct contact information to date in accordance with government regulations.

In addition to all the regular contact information you have always recorded on PNRs, per Transport Canada it is mandatory to specifically enter customer contact details. We are monitoring these closely. These must be entered using the standard IATA SSRs:
  • SSR CTCE: customer email address
  • SSR CTCM: customer mobile number
  • SSR CTCR: customer has declined to provide information
Which is swell, but as has been pointed out on this thread earlier, one set of contact information for a booking which may include multiple people is really not sufficient. AC should really be able to figure out that this reflects pretty poorly on them. Hey AC: just do your job as Canadians.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Apparently the feds and the airlines have now agreed a method for collecting this information at check in and sharing it with health authorities in a timely manner, per the article linked below. Hopefully that can put this thread to rest.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...act-tracing-2/
Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.