FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Redeeming with Air North? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2022611-redeeming-air-north.html)

sokolov Jul 31, 2020 4:20 pm

Redeeming with Air North?

Hello,

I have run into a Yukoner who claims she was able to redeem Aeroplan points for a ticket on Air North (4N) between Whitehorse and Vancouver. She said she called Aeroplan, was offered AC flights, but when she expressed her preference for Air North, she was booked on that airline - and that it cost less points, too. I have no reason to believe that she is making that up.

But how could that be? My first guess was through a codeshare between Air North and Canadian North or First Air. But I don't think they codeshare on that particular route. Did they do that in the past? Or was Aeroplan at some point so flexible to book on non-partner airlines if that was cheaper for Aeroplan?

tracon Jul 31, 2020 4:55 pm

Not possible.
One of those people we redeemed Avion for 4N possibly?
Most people can't tell the difference between their points programs.

tracon Aug 1, 2020 9:28 am

There are two exceptions to the rule.
The first one has happened.
The second one is possible.

Scenario 1.
Passenger redeemed Aeroplan for an AC flight.
AC flight broke down.
Passengers were re accommodated on 4N.

Scenario 2.
Passenger redeemed Aeroplan for an AC flight.
Passenger flew AC but received really good service and thought they were on 4N.

Queen B Aug 1, 2020 10:03 am

I’m a Yukoner. The only points I know that can be redeemed with air North are More Rewards points from Save-On-Foods

tracon Aug 1, 2020 1:05 pm

Do you have a link?
Save On used to be a partner with 8P. I don't see that advertised anymore.

Queen B Aug 1, 2020 2:36 pm

You have to call the agency, there’s a big sign at the Save-On-Foods in Whitehorse
1-844-320-3997 (in Canada and US), or 778-372-1472 (elsewhere).

sokolov Aug 1, 2020 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Queen B (Post 32574542)
You have to call the agency, there’s a big sign at the Save-On-Foods in Whitehorse

I can confirm that. Save on Foods is advertising that redemption option in Whitehorse.

sokolov Aug 1, 2020 4:36 pm

I thought maybe she used Air Miles. But, here in the Yukon, there are hardly any businesses where you can earn (or spend) Air Miles. I only know of Staples and a tire dealer - there's not even a Shell station around here. So Air Miles is not a popular program in the Yukon at all.

sokolov Aug 14, 2022 2:41 am

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 32675070)
Good to know. Does Air North still serve hot meals on some flights?

Yes. They serve warm meals on the flights to/from Ontario (YYZ and YOW). Also, in Whitehorse, you can buy those meals frozen at the Independent supermarket and directly from Air North.

On the other flights operated with Boeing 737 they serve a sandwich or a platter (yummy charcuterie), plus a warm cookie.

I'm not sure if/what they serve on flights operated with prop equipment (small airports North of Whitehorse).

sokolov Oct 7, 2022 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 32674339)
I did see a 40+ hour journey from YYZ to Inuvik! 😀

This summer you could have flown faster with Air North. YYZ-YXY (with a stop in YZF where you stay on board), then change for YEV.

I hope Air North can bring the YYZ-route back next year. (If not, consider flying Air North from YOW.)

sokolov Mar 3, 2023 3:07 pm

Air North is flying both Ontario routes, YYZ and YOW, again, this year.

I have found that Avion points from RBC's fixed points travel program can be used with many Air North flights to reduce the cost. For example, 7500 Avion points will reduce the price of a oneway flight between BC and Whitehorse by CAD 175, a savings of $100. (If the naked "fare" price before fuel surcharge, airport and other fees and taxes is below CAD 175, your price reduction and savings will be lower.) For this option, you have to book with your Avion Visa card through the RBC portal.

Adam Smith Mar 3, 2023 4:55 pm

Please note that the appropriate venue for discussion of Air North is the Other North and South American Airlines forum. There is an existing thread there.

Several posts about booking Aeroplan rewards on Canadian North (which is not the same thing as Air North) have been moved to a new thread.

This thread is now closed.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator