FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   First time Altitude 25k member - how to use free checked baggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2022545-first-time-altitude-25k-member-how-use-free-checked-baggage.html)

gonebabygone Jul 30, 2020 5:39 pm

First time Altitude 25k member - how to use free checked baggage?

Title says it all! I'm a rookie Altitude 25k member and just wondering how to take advantage of the 2 pieces of free checked luggage privilege?

Do I need to do anything in advance?

CanadianMike Jul 30, 2020 6:08 pm

Ensure your Aeroplan / AC Altitude # is connected to your booking.

Otherwise present said # at check in and should have no issues.

codfather Jul 31, 2020 7:36 am

Yea CanadianMike is correct. I am a P25K and as long as my AE number is attached to the bookings, the two bags I check will be free.

Sometimes you might have to ask them to add it if it is an AE booking as it can get removed on occasion during rebookings and what not.

canadiancow Jul 31, 2020 8:01 am

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 32571495)
Sometimes you might have to ask them to add it if it is an AE booking as it can get removed on occasion during rebookings and what not.

That shouldn't happen if you manually add it through MMB or OLCI. It's only when it was just populating the FQTR field that any ticket change would drop it.

codfather Jul 31, 2020 8:03 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 32571545)
That shouldn't happen if you manually add it through MMB or OLCI. It's only when it was just populating the FQTR field that any ticket change would drop it.

Yea I think that is what happened. It was attached to the booking but got removed by an agent in YQX when she rebooked me. Had to have the agent in YHZ readd it so that the appropriate priority would reflect on the SBY list.

gonebabygone Aug 2, 2020 7:47 pm

Thanks all, super helpful.

Just for my own curiosity, what do these acronyms stand for?

MMC
OLCI
FQTR

Frequent traveler for the last one maybe? The others I have no clue :)

codfather Aug 2, 2020 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by gonebabygone (Post 32577119)
Thanks all, super helpful.

Just for my own curiosity, what do these acronyms stand for?

MMC
OLCI
FQTR

Frequent traveler for the last one maybe? The others I have no clue :)

MMB - Manage My Bookings

OLCI - Online Check-In

FQTR - Frequent Traveller Redemption (though I believe it also stands for frequent traveller)

gonebabygone Aug 2, 2020 7:57 pm

hoipolloi Aug 3, 2020 4:50 am

Can you get that benefit but credit the miles to another airlines's FF program ?

codfather Aug 3, 2020 5:04 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi (Post 32577679)
Can you get that benefit but credit the miles to another airlines's FF program ?

No.

The FF number that you attach to the booking is what determines the benefits you receive and how the miles will be credited. If you are an A3*G member and attached that FF number to your booking, you would receive *G benefits and your miles from AC would be credited to A3 Miles and Bonus program. Vice versa if you attached an AE number to the booking and you were P25K with AC.

garykung Aug 3, 2020 5:14 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi (Post 32577679)

Yes - that's why you have FQTR and FQTV.

codfather Aug 3, 2020 9:16 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32577712)

I will happily say I stand corrected if I am truly wrong, but I have never heard of people being able to do this before.

canadiancow Aug 3, 2020 11:09 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32577712)

FQTR is just the field that tells you which account redeemed the miles. It doesn't exist on revenue bookings, it doesn't determine any benefits, and it doesn't determine where miles are credited.

garykung Aug 3, 2020 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 32578172)
I will happily say I stand corrected if I am truly wrong, but I have never heard of people being able to do this before.

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 32578435)
FQTR is just the field that tells you which account redeemed the miles. It doesn't exist on revenue bookings, it doesn't determine any benefits, and it doesn't determine where miles are credited.

Sorry for misspoke. I meant FQTV and FQTS.

You can indeed get the benefit from one program and credit to another one.

canadiancow Aug 3, 2020 2:23 pm

How do you add a FQTS SSR? I'd be curious to try that out.

I've seen people suggest this is possible for years but I've never seen one successful report of it.