Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Aeroplan expiry policies (July 2020)

Old Jul 20, 20, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Effective July 20, 2020 we are waiving the current expiry provisions. You will now have 18 months to keep your account active six months longer than before.

https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
Old Jul 20, 20, 4:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P25K, Hertz Gold
I think more importantly (emphasis is mine):
If your miles do expire, don't worry. Within six months of your account becoming inactive, if you fly on an eligible Air Canada ticket or get any Aeroplan credit card, we'll reactivate all of your recently expired miles.

We also understand that you may have been forced to adjust your travel plans due to COVID-19, so we're taking additional action. If you purchased a trip with Air Canada prior to July 20, 2020, with travel commencing anytime since January 2020 and had to cancel your travel plans, we'll be happy to reinstate all of your Aeroplan Miles which have expired since the beginning of this year. You'll just need to have your Air Canada booking reference on hand.

To take advantage of any of these options, simply call the Aeroplan Contact Centre.
Old Jul 20, 20, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by guessaaa View Post
I think more importantly (emphasis is mine):
It's so easy to keep your miles active, I'd say this is pretty insignificant.
Old Jul 21, 20, 12:10 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by abmabm View Post
Effective July 20, 2020 we are waiving the current expiry provisions. You will now have 18 months to keep your account active six months longer than before.

https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
Let's hope this policy is here to stay.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
If you keep track of accounts for family members then this makes it somewhat easier.
Old Jul 21, 20, 12:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
For those of us who travel often, it's meaningless. But there are many people out there who don't fly much and may fly Basic fares (which don't earn mileage on most markets) when they do. I know a number of FOTSGs who have expired tens of thousands of Aeroplan miles each because they didn't pay much attention, and we get a bunch of posts here every year of people desperate to try to earn some miles before they expire or reinstate miles that have already expired.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Let's hope this policy is here to stay.
While the webpage that has the information doesn't say it, the e-mail they sent around makes it pretty clear these are long-term changes. Here's the e-mail in full. I've put the relevant passages in bold red.

Dear [Adam Smith],

Our team is working diligently to bring you a transformed Aeroplan Program later this year, and I'm excited about the changes to come. When we asked our members what they wanted from Aeroplan, we heard some consistent themes: make Aeroplan easier to use, deliver more value for all members, and have more flexible policies.

We've been thinking a lot about how to address the expiration of miles, especially in a period where fewer people are traveling. With that in mind, we are now introducing three improvements specifically related to mileage expiration, ahead of the relaunch of Aeroplan later this year.

More time to keep your account active

While a formal change to the Aeroplan General Terms & Conditions will follow, effective today, we are waiving the current expiry provisions. Members will have 18 months to keep their accounts active – six months longer than before. All you have to do to stay active is earn or redeem a single mile. Keep in mind that, while travel is core to Aeroplan, there are hundreds of other options for keeping your account active every day, such as:
  • Shopping online with one of our over 150 retail partners
  • Redeeming for gift cards and merchandise
  • Donating miles to a participating charity
  • Buying miles to get to your next reward

Miles never expire for Aeroplan credit card holders

Also, don't forget – Aeroplan Miles never expire for those who hold any of our Aeroplan credit cards, as well as Air Canada Altitude members. This advantage is one of the many benefits available to them. Learn more

More flexible options to reinstate your Aeroplan Miles

Should your miles expire – not to worry. Within six months of your account becoming inactive, just fly on an eligible Air Canada ticket or get any Aeroplan credit card. We'll then reactivate all of those recently-expired Aeroplan Miles. Of course, you'll continue to have the option to reinstate your miles immediately, for a fee.

We also understand that many members were forced to adjust their travel plans due to COVID‑19, so we're taking additional action. If you purchased a trip with Air Canada with travel commencing anytime since January 2020 and you had to cancel your travel plans, we'll be happy to reinstate all of your Aeroplan Miles which have expired since the beginning of this year. Learn more

These improvements are just a small part of how we'll be transforming Aeroplan later this year. We look forward to sharing the many new opportunities for you to engage and participate in the program. These will help ensure that more accounts stay active and fewer miles ever expire. That's more satisfying for our members, and ultimately much healthier for Aeroplan.

Mark Nasr
Vice President, Loyalty and eCommerce
Old Jul 21, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
For those of us who travel often, it's meaningless. But there are many people out there who don't fly much
I travel very little these days myself, and I have never credited a single flown mile to Aeroplan, yet I've actually accumulated a decent amount just through promotions and free activities. One survey or one small purchase on the Aeroplan store every 18 months keeps your miles active forever.
Old Jul 21, 20, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
This reminded me to check on a (relatively distant) elderly relative. On their AP page the header says the points are about to expire. The last activity was in June 2019, but I cannot see any account expiry date (there's a red unavailable comment where it should be, so likely work in progress). I'll try to top up the activity in the next few days but am hoping that the 18 month change will cover the apparent recent expiry (under the old rules) about which I was not informed, as I had the email account linked to the AP account. Its only 16k miles but could have saved a small amount of money c/w just buying outright, or bought a gift card or maybe even a toaster!.
Old Jul 21, 20, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
I travel very little these days myself, and I have never credited a single flown mile to Aeroplan, yet I've actually accumulated a decent amount just through promotions and free activities. One survey or one small purchase on the Aeroplan store every 18 months keeps your miles active forever.
That's fine. Many non-flying people don't pay as much attention to their accounts as you do, and for them, this isn't insignificant.

Originally Posted by tomvancouver View Post
This reminded me to check on a (relatively distant) elderly relative. On their AP page the header says the points are about to expire. The last activity was in June 2019, but I cannot see any account expiry date (there's a red unavailable comment where it should be, so likely work in progress). I'll try to top up the activity in the next few days but am hoping that the 18 month change will cover the apparent recent expiry (under the old rules) about which I was not informed, as I had the email account linked to the AP account. Its only 16k miles but could have saved a small amount of money c/w just buying outright, or bought a gift card or maybe even a toaster!.
They've been pausing mileage expiry for the past few months, started back in March or April at some point, which is why your relative's miles hadn't expired back in June.
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:48 am

Many non-flying people don't pay as much attention to their accounts as you do, and for them, this isn't insignificant.
Sorry, but if people don't care about their accounts, they don't deserve to keep the miles. It's like people who never check their bank account balances and are surprised when they get overdrawn.
Old Jul 22, 20, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Sorry, but if people don't care about their accounts, they don't deserve to keep the miles. It's like people who never check their bank account balances and are surprised when they get overdrawn.
I never check my bank balance. I just assume my direct deposit arrives every month. It doesn't mean I don't care.

I just don't have enough transactions to bother checking it.
Old Jul 22, 20, 11:43 am

Sorry, but if people don't care about their accounts, they don't deserve to keep the miles.
It seems Aeroplan disagrees with you.
Happy and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jul 22, 20, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is significant for those who do not live in Canada.

The old Exxon (or Exxo in Canada) partnership made it easy for us as family members can do a fill up using my account number once a year to take care of such when we do not have activity that period.

Shopping on the Aeroplan Mall is not useful once again if you dont live in Canada, nor the survey as that is only open to Canadians.

The biggest improvement on this is, it allows you to reinstate the miles with an AC flight within 6 months after the miles expire, at no cost. That is a very customer friendly improvement and it is a Win Win for both the airline and the customer.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Jul 25, 20, 7:16 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
It's unclear to me whether the no expiration for minors (<16 or maybe 18 of age) is gone with this new policy. It's really the only reason I have been crediting my kid's flights to AC.

LAX
Old Jul 25, 20, 9:19 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
It's unclear to me whether the no expiration for minors (<16 or maybe 18 of age) is gone with this new policy. It's really the only reason I have been crediting my kid's flights to AC.

LAX
I cannot see anything that states otherwise so I would assume you're safe.
Old Jul 25, 20, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
They've been pausing mileage expiry for the past few months, started back in March or April at some point, which is why your relative's miles hadn't expired back in June.
I see today, for my elderly relative, that there is an entry on the AP "your account" page that reads "Jul 20, 2020 GOODWILL AIR CANADA 1" with the 1 referencing 1 AP mile credited, and the new account expiry date is Jan 20th, 2022.

Well done AC/AP on doing the right thing!
canadiancow and YUL like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: