Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

'Sneak peek' at the new Aeroplan, July 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Sneak peek' at the new Aeroplan, July 28

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
Interesting,
Can "somebody" be anybody or limited to those who were(are) on embargo / signed an NDA?
Hint: Check my previous comment
In the past it's more often than not been applied to media who signed the NDA, but these days - especially with social media - it could and arguably should be more broadly applied.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Three hours long? Why on earth would they need to chew up that much time? I sit through quite a few new program/product launches every year .... most are wrapped up in a half-hour at the most ... even with a Q&A you're done in an hour tops.
I'm sensing that Aeroplan's sense of self-importance is somewhat over-inflated.
Indeed, that length also struck me: I'm expecting a bit of hyperbole and Death by PowerPoint but hopeful that this also means we have plenty of deep-dive time.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by shawneve
Why not have 'tiered' YQ surcharge discounts with the discount equal to your status level across all redemptions?
25/35/50/75/100%
If ANA can charge zero YQ for awards on AC metal, I imagine AC could do likewise.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jazzsax
I wouldn't be shocked if the new Aeroplan evolves into a combination of the following

- earn status from high CC spend with partner cards (similar to some US airlines). They already did that with the earn P25 option.
- regular buy miles promos (lets face it --- these help AC with their current daily burn rate, hence why they are doing it)
- devaluation of non North America rewards (even with the add back of extra stopovers)
That would be awesome.
WesternCDN likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by lsquare
That would be awesome.
No, no it wouldn't.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
No, no it wouldn't.
Potentially awesome (financially) for AC. Revenue from direct and indirect points sales (via credit card affiliates) has proven quite substantial for several airlines already.

Not so awesome when the "privileges" get spread out so broadly that actual loyal flyers aren't uniquely privileged any more.

On the other hand, maybe the airline is just becoming one (low-profit) mechanism to generate revenue via (high profit) Aeroplan; so, why not reward customers that contribute the highest profit margin?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by robsaw
Potentially awesome (financially) for AC. Revenue from direct and indirect points sales (via credit card affiliates) has proven quite substantial for several airlines already.

Not so awesome when the "privileges" get spread out so broadly that actual loyal flyers aren't uniquely privileged any more.

On the other hand, maybe the airline is just becoming one (low-profit) mechanism to generate revenue via (high profit) Aeroplan; so, why not reward customers that contribute the highest profit margin?
Airlines that I don't like flying. I'll grant that Air Canada made a lot of money by monetizing their points program (by selling it off) which might well have prompted others to get more directly involved. Is Air Canada an airline, or is Air Canada a credit card company which happens to also fly aircraft, incidentally? I hope they stick to flying, and my almond delivery doesn't come with CC applications.

That is a hope and a dream.

I suppose the question is what the banks have to say about it? I can't imagine that oligarchy startup meeting, but my imagination does include AC not getting into FSI as a requirement for the coopitition to pony up funds.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:52 pm

So today is July 28...did AC announce anything today?
It seems things are pretty quiet.

Edit: I guess due to the NDA no one can really say anything yet.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's not so much the NDA as the embargo.

What generally happens is that AC will put out an announcement at the same time the embargo is lifted, so you'll see an official announcement coupled with a bunch of media articles.

I don't know if the embargo date is covered by the NDA, but someone else might be able to share that information. Or not.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agjil
Edit: I guess due to the NDA no one can really say anything yet.
Quite so. Not even sure if it's kosher to comment on specifically when the embargo lifts, apart from saying it's a coupla weeks away. I'd not be surprised for details to leak out in the meantime, albeit not from those who've signed an NDA but from others who pick up things here and there. No doubt there'll be some fervid speculation, with the rumour mill generating some hits and some misses, so I'd humbly suggest trying to avoid hitting the panic button every time something floats by and waiting instead for the bigger picture, the whole picture.

[What happens if you break an NDA? Well, there's the possibility of actual penalties, but also one would be declared persona non grata – I've seen journos break an NDA and they were not only were removed from all future briefings but they could kiss goodbye to invites for launches, press trips, even access to execs for interviews – it can be as harsh and crippling as a company or their PR agency wishes. And it's a small industry, people move around and word gets around, so that 'taint' can end up extending to other vendors in the same field, owing to the same reasons of breach of trust.]
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know if the embargo date is covered by the NDA, but someone else might be able to share that information. Or not.
I asked for and was told the specific embargo lift date & time before signing the NDA, but it was in an email exchange related to signing that NDA, so it's sorta in a grey region where I'd rather not breach trust.
YVR72 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by djsflynn
I asked for and was told the specific embargo lift date & time before signing the NDA, but it was in an email exchange related to signing that NDA, so it's sorta in a grey region where I'd rather not breach trust.
What if I ask you what you're currently doing with your personal Aeroplan miles (booking lots of trips or holding onto points?) without actually explaining why?
Seat19k likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:13 pm

all we really need is a hint on whether we should redeem BEFORE the new program, ha ha
Albeit, I imagine new program is months away so we'll all have time
Plus, there aren't many flights/countries to redeem on anyway
Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
What if I ask you what you're currently doing with your personal Aeroplan miles (booking lots of trips or holding onto points?) without actually explaining why?
That’d be a clever approach, except that I have no Aeroplan miles (media flights are typically non-earning).
Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by djsflynn
That’d be a clever approach, except that I have no Aeroplan miles (media flights are typically non-earning).
What are you subtly hinting to your friends that they should do?
djsflynn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.