Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flying to US but getting off at Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to US but getting off at Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
it isn’t just ethics it’s legality too. Since the OP didn’t even mention HCT in passing it would seem reasonable to me that they are not aware of it. Any other assumption is just that. I also can’t account for any confusion on your part. And no admonishment just surprise. I have made my point and I’m out of any further discussion. You are clearly trying to take something personally here and I have no interest in that.
again. If the intent was to point that out (HCT is a civil matter not criminal), it could have been easily accomplished by doing just that without ripping into why a dozen or so other flyertalkers didn’t bring it up earlier.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Wouldnt this easily be solved by booking the US connection the next day?
Yes, its $40 more than on the same day, but still $85 less than YUL-YVR alone

Zero issues
Schedule change? ummm - i need to be in YVR for 24 hours - so yeah - rebook me via YVR
Check in - just domestic today, thanks

Last couple times I've done this - they either cancelled or delayed the US-bound flight the next day .... and as a bonus got a partial refund.

. And yes my analogy sucks because I think it is reasonable to suppose that anybody would know that it is wrong to steal..
And discussing ethics or legality when it comes to dealing with AC? Really? Check the refunds thread. How many millions of $ has AC stolen from Canadians?
seawolf and SFO777 like this.

Last edited by rankourabu; Jun 27, 2020 at 7:30 am
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
again. If the intent was to point that out (HCT is a civil matter not criminal), it could have been easily accomplished by doing just that without ripping into why a dozen or so other flyertalkers didn’t bring it up earlier.
What is HCT?
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
What is HCT?
Hidden City Ticketing
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
Hidden City Ticketing
Thank you. I don't recall seeing that acromym before.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
(HCT is a civil matter not criminal)
Not even civil. It's a contractual issue.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not even civil. It's a contractual issue.
How is a contractual issue not a civil issue
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:30 am

OP must ensure he will have no checked luggage and ensure that even at the gate if he boards last there will definitely be room for all his luggage onboard.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
OP must ensure he will have no checked luggage and ensure that even at the gate if he boards last there will definitely be room for all his luggage onboard.
Again, easily solved by simply scheduling an overnight connection.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How is a contractual issue not a civil issue
I suppose you could consider it to be one, but in this case, AC would not have to go through a civil proceeding to punish someone for a violation.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:48 am

OP didn’t ask whether it is a good idea or not; just whether it is possible or not.

Confused why there is an expectation that this forum is suppose to provide an assessment on whether it is a good idea or not especially when that was never the question in initial post nor any subsequent post by OP.
You don't get to dictate the way other people respond to a post. As long as the response isn't against FT rules, it's allowed whether you agree or not.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Jun 28, 2020 at 9:52 am Reason: Word Choice
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:31 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
You don't get to dictate the way other people respond to a post. As long as the response isn't against FT rules, it's allowed whether you agree or not.
I agree. Accordingly, none of us should have been expected to mention this violates HCT.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:17 pm

none of us should have been expected to mention this violates HCT.
As writerguyfl stated, you cannot dictate what others post. If someone feels it's appropriate to mention HCT or anything else they feel is relevant to the situation, there is nothing to stop them from doing so.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:29 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As writerguyfl stated, you cannot dictate what others post. If someone feels it's appropriate to mention HCT or anything else they feel is relevant to the situation, there is nothing to stop them from doing so.
I recommend rereading post 25 as the recent response have lost sight on why this thread is becoming *off off* topic (I share blame). I broken it down to two idea and distinguish by bolding and italicizing.

It is bizarre to me that somebody is willing to violate the terms of carriage and the best this forum can muster is CC’s response that this probably isn’t a good idea during Covid. Lets be clear: it is never a good idea. And it could get the OP banned from AC. Could. Not will. Could.
Let’s analyze the post.

If ridefar’s intent was merely to add HCT to the discussion, he/she would have accomplished that with just the bolded section of the post. I have no qualms about it; it does add to the discussion and I agree with what HCT brings except for the parts about illegal and “never” good idea.

My reply to ridefar was essentially asking why go thru the effort of typing “and the best this forum can muster is CC’s response?”

Since ridefar indicated that he/she is no longer participating in this thread, we may never know what drove ridefar to add the italicized portion.

Since you seem to disagree with my prior posts asking ridefar for a clarification, perhaps you would share your thoughts on why ridefar added the italicized portion given that the bolded part itself would have already added HCT to the thread?
rankourabu and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.