Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flying to US but getting off at Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to US but getting off at Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold
Just an update, I called the AC hotline, the agent confirmed with me that I am able to enter to USA for whatever reasons as long as I hold valid ESTA/ or any valid US visa. The agent says there is no any restrictions imposed on me as long as I have not been to the Far East/EU in which she named a few countries
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Just an update, I called the AC hotline, the agent confirmed with me that I am able to enter to USA for whatever reasons as long as I hold valid ESTA/ or any valid US visa. The agent says there is no any restrictions imposed on me as long as I have not been to the Far East/EU in which she named a few countries
I do hope it works out for you, but I would be concerned about the agent that works at the airport that says in a loud voice 'I work at the airport so I am right'. At which point you may be forced to not travel or pay a change fee to get to where you need to be.

That's just my 2c. I'm not trying to be down on this plan and I too like to save money but these are interesting times we are in right now and I think if it were me I would take the path of least resistance.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Really depends on what AC gate agent (at YUL) is doing. Are they merely enforcing having proper travel documentation (and ESTA/visa) or have they been additionally tasked for asking evidence of non-essential travel?

I don’t think anyone here has first hand up to date knowledge post COVID to answer so YMMV.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Really depends on what AC gate agent (at YUL) is doing. Are they merely enforcing having proper travel documentation (and ESTA/visa) or have they been additionally tasked for asking evidence of non-essential travel?

I don’t think anyone here has first hand up to date knowledge post COVID to answer so YMMV.
The US is allowing non-essential travel by air, so there is no reason an agent would ask for such evidence.

Based on this thread from last week, I'd expect that word has filtered down and that all airport employees will be aware of the rules (or in this instance the lack of prohibition/rules)...

Air Canada apologizes after barring passenger flying to see terminally ill husband
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It is bizarre to me that air routes are open but the land border is closed.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It is bizarre to me that air routes are open but the land border is closed.
Not sure why they didn't close that loophole.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
It's a one way loophole. It is not open for American flying to Canada for non essentials reasons.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:11 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YEG USER
The US is allowing non-essential travel by air, so there is no reason an agent would ask for such evidence.

Based on this thread from last week, I'd expect that word has filtered down and that all airport employees will be aware of the rules (or in this instance the lack of prohibition/rules)...

Air Canada apologizes after barring passenger flying to see terminally ill husband
Originally Posted by lewis_m
It's a one way loophole. It is not open for American flying to Canada for non essentials reasons.
Definitely lack of details when first implemented but it does look like CBP is prohibiting non-essential travel on land border only while CBSA is prohibiting non-essential travel regardless of mode of transportation.

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=39438&lang=en
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...2020-13676.pdf

OP should be able to do YUL-YVR-US and get off at YVR assuming AC doesn't cancel/change connection point.

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 26, 2020 at 3:18 pm
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Let's please continue the wider and more general discussion about border crossings beyond how it pertains to OP's case in other FT forums including the Canada forums, minus the political commentary of course.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by lewis_m
It is bizarre to me that somebody is willing to violate the terms of carriage and the best this forum can muster is CC’s response that this probably isn’t a good idea during Covid. Lets be clear: it is never a good idea. And it could get the OP banned from AC. Could. Not will. Could.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:27 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ridefar
It is bizarre to me that somebody is willing to violate the terms of carriage and the best this forum can muster is CC’s response that this probably isn’t a good idea during Covid. Lets be clear: it is never a good idea. And it could get the OP banned from AC. Could. Not will. Could.
OP didn’t ask whether it is a good idea or not; just whether it is possible or not.

Confused why there is an expectation that this forum is suppose to provide an assessment on whether it is a good idea or not especially when that was never the question in initial post nor any subsequent post by OP.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:41 pm

OP didn’t ask whether it is a good idea or not; just whether it is possible or not.

Confused why there is an expectation that this forum is suppose to provide an assessment on whether it is a good idea or not especially when that was never the question in initial post nor any subsequent post by OP.
For starters: because the average person would not be reasonably expected to know this? It is equivalent to asking if it is a good idea to steal food if you are hungry, and nobody ever pointing out that it is both wrong (morally) and illegal. I am confused why you would be confused by this. And yes my analogy sucks because I think it is reasonable to suppose that anybody would know that it is wrong to steal. Secondly, I will point out that this is by far not the first time that such practices have been discussed on FT. There are thousands of posts on it. And every single time (I bet) the fact that it is against the terms of carriage has come up. Lets blame its late mention on this thread on the fact that nobody (relatively) is flying and so few people are actually paying any attention to FT.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:34 pm
Original Member

OP is not new.

If the intent was to point out it violates CoC, it could have easily be accomplished by merely doing just that.

My confusion is why you felt the need to admonished all respondents in the thread that we didn’t share your view in bringing in the ethics into the discussion when unsolicited. I believe there is a separate forum to debate the ethics on this practice.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:09 pm

OP is not new.

If the intent was to point out it violates CoC, it could have easily be accomplished by merely doing just that.

My confusion is why you felt the need to admonished all respondents in the thread that we didn’t share your view in bringing in the ethics into the discussion when unsolicited. I believe there is a separate forum to debate the ethics on this practice.
it isn’t just ethics it’s legality too. Since the OP didn’t even mention HCT in passing it would seem reasonable to me that they are not aware of it. Any other assumption is just that. I also can’t account for any confusion on your part. And no admonishment just surprise. I have made my point and I’m out of any further discussion. You are clearly trying to take something personally here and I have no interest in that.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Edited after moderator post. cannot delete?
edit 2 can't even remove my attachment
Attached Images  

Last edited by theBeachBoy; Jun 27, 2020 at 5:46 am Reason: didn't see further replies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.